Tourney WSOP old draw events (1 Viewer)

Kid_Eastwood

Full House
Reaction score
Hi,

Is some documentation available about old WSOP events ? I'm looking for documentation about Draw games (high and Ace to Five).

I'm interested in structure, limit type (FL, PL, NL, ...), rules (was check-raise allowed, was the bet-a-7 rule enforced, usage of Joker, ...).

If some of you have this kind of info, it'd be very nice if you can share !

Kid.

Last edited:
On youtube is a video from the 2-7 single draw NL event from the earlie 2000er

I saw it. 2-7 structure, rules, ... can indeed be found.
I'm more interested in draw high and A-to-5.

After some research, I could see two events lowball events in the WSOP '86 :
$1,000 Ace to 5 Draw
$5,000 No Limit Ace to 5 Draw with Joker & Rebuys

I think the first one is limit and without Joker as it's explicitly stated in the name of the $5,000 event but not in the $1,000 one.

In '83, there was also a $2,500 event. No limit and with Joker and a $1,000 event without "no limit" or Joker specified.

Curious now to see the structure and if the check raise was allowed and if the must bet a 7 rule was enforced...

About NL 2-7 single draw, sometimes there was a rule saying that a player can't limp and sometimes it was not enforced.
Currently this rule is enforced and then limping is not authorized to enter a pot.

Last edited:
Was curious of this myself. It’s impossible to find footage of the 2004 WSOP other than the main event. I remember watching several of the events on tv when they first aired including razz, stud, PLO, and some limit and lower buy-in NL events. As someone above said, there is some 2-7 lowball footage on youtube but that’s about it aside from a few short clips here and there.

WSOP is doing A-5 again starting in 2016 but in a mixed limit game of 2-7, A-5, and Badugi. A-5 is a triple draw version in these tournaments, something I doubt it was back in the day.

https://www.wsop.com/tournaments/updates/?aid=2&grid=1487&tid=16408&dayof=6347&rr=5&curpage=5
https://www.wsop.com/tournaments/updates/?aid=2&grid=1352&tid=15607&rr=5
https://www.wsop.com/tournaments/updates/?aid=2&grid=1232&tid=14940&rr=5

The structures and rules of the old tournaments have most likely been lost to time. I would place an educated guess on them being limit games unless stated otherwise. In more recent years when it was held like 2000 and 2002 it was a limit game.

Only way to get that kind of info would be to ask someone like Doyle Brunson and see what he remembers. Most of the players of those days have passed.

I tried learning more about the structures and results of tournaments from the 1970s and 1980s and gave up pretty quickly after learning nothing. Nobody cared enough to document thinks like structures and starting stacks back then.

After some research, I could see two events lowball events in the WSOP '86 :
$1,000 Ace to 5 Draw
$5,000 No Limit Ace to 5 Draw with Joker & Rebuys

I think the first one is limit and without Joker as it's explicitly stated in the name of the $5,000 event but not in the $1,000 one.

In '83, there was also a $2,500 event. No limit and with Joker and a $1,000 event without "no limit" or Joker specified.

Curious now to see the structure and if the check raise was allowed and if the must bet a 7 rule was enforced...

Interesting thread. I collect old wsop brochures and The earliest one I have is from 1983 it lists the Ace to 5 $1k event as limit and with a joker and the $2.5k event as no limit with a joker.

The rules listed are kind of generic and not specific to any event. Stuff like, must be over 21, limits and blinds are raised every 2 hours, each event is a freeze out. Also lists prize money splits. Unfortunately there are no structures listed.

As far as 5 card high, I used to play that at the bicycle club and it was jacks or better to open. Would be interested to see how they would play it in a tourney structure.

Here's the Excel I'm currently compiling.
What is missing is :
- Usage of Joker
- Special rules as "must-bet-a-seven", "check-raise is forbidden", "Jacks or better to open", "cannot limp", ...

On WSOP website, I could find structure sheets of the latest events. I'd be nice to also get older ones.

Attachments

• WSOP Draw Events.zip
    10.8 KB · Views: 112

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom