Wooden chip case on Amazon. (2 Viewers)

Jormugandr333

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find a thread about it.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this wooden chip case from Amazon. It looks pretty nice and they claim it's solid walnut. The price just seems too good to be true for a solid wood case of any decent quality. Maybe they cheaped-out on the metal fittings and latches, maybe it's low quality particle board with a veneer, I'm not sure.

If it is actually what it claims to be, it's kind of perfect. It's got a smaller footprint than the usual 500pc case of this type because they didn't put the card/dice slot in the middle like you see in all the cheap aluminum cases. There's a space beneath the trays for cards, dice, buttons extra chips and whatever you might need and it looks like it would accommodate a double-set box like most of the high-quality plastic cards come in. It looks nice enough to be a semi-decorative storage case, and if the fitting are nice, it should do fine for light transportation.

Might need to add some foam to the top depending on how tight the fit is, but that's really no big deal. Even replacing the latches or adding a third hinge for stability wouldn't be so bad. But only if the materials are good.

Any info anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Looks like a really nice case. No experience with this particular case, but wooden racks are generally sized to fit the largest variety of chips possible. That means they might be a tiny bit bigger than snug, and you might see some space after you load them up with chips.

All I can contribute if to say that if you're interested in a case that doesn't waste footprint space on cutouts for cards, take a look at eBay. Search either Lowe poker chip case, or vintage poker chip case. Lots of things out there that might interest you. Or maybe not, if you're looking for walnut.
Edit - there are few 500 count options for older cases, so if that's what you're looking for, nevermind

Last edited:
All I can contribute if to say that if you're interested in a case that doesn't waste footprint space on cutouts for cards, take a look at eBay. Search either Lowe poker chip case, or vintage poker chip case. Lots of things out there that might interest you. Or maybe not, if you're looking for walnut.
Edit - there are few 500 count options for older cases, so if that's what you're looking for, nevermind
Oh hey, it looks like this wooden case is inspired by that Lowe style just with bare wood instead of alligator tolex wrapping. As you mentioned, it looks like a 500 would be hard to find. Thanks for the idea though. Never really considered vintage stuff. Didn't Paulson used to have a case? Wonder how they are.

You can imagine my surprise when I clicked on the link and saw this:
1607550950353.png

Some closer investigation and what I actually bought was "GSE Games & Sports Expert Acrylic Chip Case/Acrylic Chip Carrier 1,000-Piece"

Anyway, the pictures of the walnut do not look like walnut. At least, not American walnut which is a much darker brown. And it looks like a mdf core and veneer - totally not worth the price. Have a look at the rounded edges where the stripe on the corner shows where they've sanded through the veneer to the substrate underneath. It's not so easy to pick out on the walnut one but it's there. It's easy to see on the oak:

1607551504890.png

You can imagine my surprise when I clicked on the link and saw this:
View attachment 590234

Some closer investigation and what I actually bought was "GSE Games & Sports Expert Acrylic Chip Case/Acrylic Chip Carrier 1,000-Piece"

Anyway, the pictures of the walnut do not look like walnut. At least, not American walnut which is a much darker brown. And it looks like a mdf core and veneer - totally not worth the price. Have a look at the rounded edges where the stripe on the corner shows where they've sanded through the veneer to the substrate underneath. It's not so easy to pick out on the walnut one but it's there. It's easy to see on the oak:

View attachment 590241
Ahh. Thank you! That's what I was afraid of. You have saved me some money for sure. I owe you a beer.

Too bad... you just can't trust anything on the internet anymore. Guess there's a lesson. When something looks too good to be true, it usually is.

Didn't Paulson used to have a case? Wonder how they are.
Paulson case, you ask?
I think they’re pretty damn spectacular, if for no those reason than each row holds exactly 50 paulsons. Every other case you ever buy will hold an extra chip or three per row. (But no space underneath for cards, like the Lowe cases.)
0A7E2D5E-F56D-4440-BDBA-0CC73D1A6587.jpeg

Last edited:
Would you trust the weight of 500 chips on that tiny wire handle? Not me.
That too. I figured if it was actually solid wood, it might be worth replacing, but alas.

Paulson case, you ask?
I think they’re pretty damn spectacular, if for no those reason than each row holds exactly 50 paulsons. Every other case you ever buy will hold an extra chip or three per row.
View attachment 590247
Oh yeah. Those are sexy. I assume they're rare and expensive enough that you wouldn't bother putting anything but real Paulsons in there.

I own one of the vintage Lowe’s cases (eBay). I love it, and use it as a travel case if I’m hanging out with just a few friends and a game might break out.

500 chip Lowe’s cases are hard to find but you can easily put some foam or balsa cutouts in the bottom section and fit chips there, a 400-ish case should fit 500 easily this way.

I wouldn't pay the price listed on Amazon. I have seen these cases in the past they are nice enough, made of wood etc but really unless you just have a small set this box leaves no place for cards etc...so if you are taking your set on the road it will get dinged (because its soft wood) and you will be carrying at least another box with cards etc... If it was less expensive maybe but really its a pricey box that has limited use.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom