Winter is Coming (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone doing an all oversized cash set?

Yes. Because I've got samples and I prefer the 43mms. Also, having the oversized chips would make this set even more unique from my other sets.
I have considered getting the x value chips in the smaller 39mm to use as nickels, just to be cute, but I probably will not.

I'm thinking of moving my Riverboats. Then buying enough of these that will provide a 6 player limit game for 3/6 and can be used as a .25/.50 100 max buy in. I could use this as my travel set. I hate leaving my PNY's or Sunsets at peoples houses.

I don't think I could sell those Riverboats! BBC aren't being made ever again for the public. There are going to be more Sun-Fly group buys, probably every year!

Clay chips with those incredible colors are special, I think you will regret selling them to replace with ceramics (even very cool ceramic like these)!

Yes. Because I've got samples and I prefer the 43mms. Also, having the oversized chips would make this set even more unique from my other sets.
I have considered getting the x value chips in the smaller 39mm to use as nickels, just to be cute, but I probably will not.
Cool. I'm going to shuffle my oversized Boardwalk samples over the next few days to make sure, but tending towards all oversized as well.

This is a private custom set design. Do you guys have permission to use this design?

Stocky no longer owns the chips. Unless they were made prior to the sale, you need permission from the current owner.

As far as I know, I not only won the chips but the rights to the artwork for the Iron Bank tournament set.

The original authorization granted to Stocky by GRRM expressly stated that the design not be mass produced.

For a couple interesting discussions on who retains rights to artwork, see this previous thread on PCF and a more raucous and also more illuminating discussion starting here in the midst of @Toby's original Black Cat Club thread on CT.

I don't recall whether either get into the nuance of a license granted as part of the production of a certain set such as the license granted by Martin in this case, but I doubt it. Obviously the terms of the license would be entirely dependent on its exact provisions (for instance, to the degree that it intends not to grant license for mass production of the design, it should define mass production).

This conversation is breaking my heart. My understanding was this group buy was already approved.

For a couple interesting discussions on who retains rights to artwork, see this previous thread on PCF and a more raucous and also more illuminating discussion starting here in the midst of @Toby's original Black Cat Club thread on CT.

I don't recall whether either get into the nuance of a license granted as part of the production of a certain set such as the license granted by Martin in this case, but I doubt it. Obviously the terms of the license would be entirely dependent on its exact provisions (for instance, to the degree that it intends not to grant license for mass production of the design, it should define mass production).

It was simply an email exchange between Stocky and GRRM that essentially stated "sure as long as you aren't selling for profit or mass producing"

I would prefer that my custom Iron Bank tournament set not be mass produced for this group buy. I am also more than a little concerned that Sun-Fly will use this design to produce more chips outside this group buy as well.

I have no issue with production of an Iron Bank cash set as I have no ownership rights to that design.

Hello all, @Mental Nomad recently came to me with an idea. Iron Bank sets on ceramics. I decided what the hell. The offer still stands for people to buy a clay version so why not do a cheaper alternative. So this will serve as an interest thread to make sure there's enough interest to go ahead with getting the art done.

Some of the finer details.

This will be for both cash and tournament sets.

@Mental Nomad will be helping and handling all logistics. There's a good chance he'll end up just taking it over as I rarely see anything through ;)

The chips will mimic the clay sets, same colors, design and "edge spots".

Hopefully will be made through GOCC with costs TBD.

Art Fee. TBD

Sets will be available to any member in good standing. Sorry but as I only received permission from the author as long as they weren't mass produced or sold for profit the last thing I want to see is sets all over eBay days after being produced. So if you are brand new, or shady, or a chip flipper or a hobbit, sorry but you will not be included. If you feel I am too harsh please pm to discuss.

Not all the details are Ironed (pun intended) out so any questions feel free to post them.

Cheers
Stocky

The original owner stated ceramic cash and tourney sets would become available to members in good standing not to be sold for profit. I do recall reading conversations about the art although I can't seem to find them. I remember shared ownership with the designer.

It was simply an email exchange between Stocky and GRRM that essentially stated "sure as long as you aren't selling for profit or mass producing"

I would prefer that my custom Iron Bank tournament set not be mass produced for this group buy. I am also more than a little concerned that Sun-Fly will use this design to produce more chips outside this group buy as well.

I have no issue with production of an Iron Bank cash set as I have no ownership rights to that design.

I'm not and wouldn't pretend to be equipped to address how the described statement by Martin might apply to this potential GB. IP is not my field. Same with regard to ownership of the design, but from what he has said about it elsewhere, I think a discussion with J5 would be appropriate.

I can't say what @stocky emailed with you, but in the sale thread for the CPC set he made it clear that there would be a group buy still offered with the design. Also he never mentioned that the ownership rights would be included with the sale. He did say expanding the set was allowed.

IMG_2372.PNG

I had planned on loaning my car to a friend, but then I sold it. I'm sure the new owner will have no problem loaning the car to my friend. All of those plans took place before the raffle of the chips transferred ownership rights to me.

I think the best way to proceed is to involve @Johnny5 and @stocky in the conversation.

Once again, I have no problem with an Iron Bank cash set.

I had planned on loaning my car to a friend, but then I sold it. I'm sure the new owner will have no problem loaning the car to my friend. All of those plans took place before the raffle of the chips transferred ownership rights to me.

I think the best way to proceed is to involve @Johnny5 and @stocky in the conversation.

I had forgot that they were raffled off. You make a great point.

All joking aside I think you are completely in the right, but this means you have to bring them to MIM. ;)

The above quote I screen shot was from the raffle thread.

And comparing the sale of a car to intellectual property is comparing apples to oranges.

The above quote I screen shot was from the raffle thread.

And comparing the sale of a car to intellectual property is comparing apples to oranges.

That would be like saying if you buy a CD you own the rights to the music on it.

Edit: sorry for the double post, meant to edit the last one. Working/phone issues.

That would be like saying if you buy a CD you own the rights to the music on it.

Edit: sorry for the double post, meant to edit the last one. Working/phone issues.

Not at all because the creator sold his share of the rights to the art. This would be like music studio A letting X use a song then studio A selling the music to studio B. B now has to permit X to use the song.

I can see both sides... stocky said during the raffle that ceramics would still be done and I would hate to see a custom set I owned to be remade as ceramics for the masses.

May come down to whether stocky not only passed along rights to Mark but if he also gave up his rights (i.e. would it be a problem if he regretted selling them and decided to get them remade through CPC?).

One thing I'm hoping doesn't come out of this is a "no more raffles until further notice" thread.

No, it is not. I own the rights to play the music for my own personal use. The license on a CD prohibits reproduction, distribution, and playing in a commercial venue.

I can see both sides... stocky said during the raffle that ceramics would still be done and I would hate to see a custom set I owned to be remade as ceramics for the masses.

What's next, ceramic knock-offs of all the Hall of Fame sets

May come down to whether stocky not only passed along rights to Mark but if he also gave up his rights (i.e. would it be a problem if he regretted selling them and decided to get them remade through CPC?).

One thing I'm hoping doesn't come out of this is a "no more raffles until further notice" thread.

I don't think this a raffle issue at all. It is an ongoing issue with custom sets. If this set was sold in some other manner the same issues could be happening.

When people sell custom sets the rights to the art work should be expressly stated one way or another in the listing.

I don't see the raffle as being any different than a sale - ownership is transferred either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom