Why is this new Bellagio $1 so light? (2 Viewers)

upNdown

Royal Flush
Reaction score
I don’t have enough singles to weigh for comparison, so maybe this is just a one-off freak. But @Bill_Man618 generously tossed this one into a package and I’m surprised by its lightness. Usually hot stamped chips are heavier (since they have more clay than inlaid chips) and yet this one is light as hell at 8.2g. Maybe this blue is just a light color? But since it’s presumably a pretty recent release, it makes me wonder if the Paulson clay formula is getting even lighter?
IMG_7642.jpeg

IMG_7643.jpeg

i think no inlay makes it lighter in this circumstance, since it looks to be the same depth recess on both chips.
This. Even my CPC inlaid chips vs hotstamps are about 0.5 g heavier than their hotstamped counterparts.

i think no inlay makes it lighter in this circumstance, since it looks to be the same depth recess on both chips.
Hmm. Maybe you’re right with RHCs. In the past it has been otherwise, but I guess every time I was laying attention, it was with one of the THC molds.

On many hotstamps, the section in which the stamp is on is higher…nearly level with the rest of the chip. On these new Bellagios (and many newer RHC releases) the hotstamp is in a recess. Less clay, lighter weight. Could also be that color is particularly less dense than some others.

I don’t have enough singles to weigh for comparison, so maybe this is just a one-off freak. But @Bill_Man618 generously tossed this one into a package and I’m surprised by its lightness. Usually hot stamped chips are heavier (since they have more clay than inlaid chips) and yet this one is light as hell at 8.2g. Maybe this blue is just a light color? But since it’s presumably a pretty recent release, it makes me wonder if the Paulson clay formula is getting even lighter?
View attachment 1177335
View attachment 1177336
The other ones I have a also super light. I wonder if the other Vegas $1’s that are hotstamp RHC are the same. They’re the lightest I’ve ever felt.

On many hotstamps, the section in which the stamp is on is higher…nearly level with the rest of the chip. On these new Bellagios (and many newer RHC releases) the hotstamp is in a recess. Less clay, lighter weight. Could also be that color is particularly less dense than some others.
Older LCV THC chips have a very shallow recess, it is more pronounced in the SCV and RHC molds.
edit: tone, brevity

Last edited:
8-ish grams is pretty normal for modern GPI chips. Since starting to take lead out of their chips in the 1990s, 10/11/12 gram chips have disappeared and 8/9 gram chips have taken their place. For every gram less of material in each chip, that's 220 less pounds of material per 100k chips. If customers don't complain and chips are just as durable, nothing is lost, costs are kept down for the customer, and profits up for GPI.

I hate how light some chips are getting, some chips, under 8 in some sets, is crazy. Bring back lead. I promise I won't grind it up and do lines.

And while I’m bitching, why the hell does this chip look like this?
I’d love it if we had some kind of materials engineer or whatever do some analysis on contemporary Paulsons. Because I feel like their clay is even crappier than it was ten years ago (which was already disappointing compared to the leaded formulas of yore.)

IMG_7681.png

And while I’m bitching, why the hell does this chip look like this?
I’d love it if we had some kind of materials engineer or whatever do some analysis on contemporary Paulsons. Because I feel like their clay is even crappier than it was ten years ago (which was already disappointing compared to the leaded formulas of yore.)

View attachment 1179412
Probably due to a reaction of the chip's material composition during the heating process (and possibly due to inadequate mixing during the raw material creation process).

Not that uncommon, although it's certainly more noticeable on blanks and hot-stamped chips. Paulson, Blue Chip, and even Burt/ASM/CPC chips can exhibit these types of characteristics.

Preaching to the choir, but if the varying visual details found on crafted clay chips really bother you, mass-produced plastics might be a better purchase....... :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom