Why do you call it Football (NFL)? (1 Viewer)

davislane

Straight Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
With the start of Superbowl LVII almost upon us, Im reminded and still at a loss to understand why you Americans call your beloved NFL "football".

99% of the time the game is played by either throwing the ball or running with the ball in your hand.

Wouldn't it make more sense to name the sport after the dominant part of the anatomy used to play the game? handball?

What am I missing?

We also don't get options to choose the name of the sport when we learn about it. So the terms soccer and football stick, as was taught. If I were taught to call soccer, football…all other kids would have no clue what I was talking about.

football.jpg

See? American football was played in the Middle Ages. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
The origin of the game.
so they change the game completely but conveniently forgot to change the name? lol.

We also don't get options to choose the name of the sport when we learn about it. So the terms soccer and football stick, as was taught. If I were taught to call soccer, football…all other kids would have no clue what I was talking about.
we are going through this process in Australia. It will take some time but its slowly creeping in to call the game by its proper name.

so they change the game completely but conveniently forgot to change the name? lol.
Pretty much, sorta like basketball. Should have been renamed hoopball at some point.

Never understood rugby, though. No carpets anywhere and no stinging honey-makers.

99% of the time the game is played by either throwing the ball or running with the ball in your hand.

Wouldn't it make more sense to name the sport after the dominant part of the anatomy used to play the game? handball?

What am I missing?

There are 22 people on the field and only one of those throws the ball on some plays. The one running the ball does it as much with arms and chest than hands. And again 21 out of 22 aren’t touching the ball. Many never will.

I don’t think handball is at all a good name for the sport.

The origins of “rugby” and “soccer” are the same game. The game was “football.” This started in England. At some point the game morphed into two different games as rules were being developed and clarified. At this point the name of the games were also refined… “Association Football” and “Rugby Football.” Association Football is what the World calls Football. American football is a morphed version of rugby football.

Incidentally, the name “soccer” is derived from the “soc” in asSOCiation.

https://sqaf.club/which-came-first-football-or-rugby/

Last edited:
With the start of Superbowl LVII almost upon us, Im reminded and still at a loss to understand why you Americans call your beloved NFL "football".

What am I missing?
Yea I guess it should be called run ball or concussion league lol.

What am I missing?
People who worship a ball and bat game called "cricket" shouldn't criticize other people's games.

What am I missing?
I constantly wonder the same thing about Aussie rules "football"

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom