Why do people have multiple chips sets? (4 Viewers)

Timmah

Two Pair
Supporter
Reaction score
So I’ve seen several posts talking about how people have multiple sets of chips. I understand having a cash set and a tournament set… or one set that can cover both. But what is the purpose of having more than one set of each? I see people posting that they have 5 or as many as 10 tournament sets. They also state that some sets have never been felted. I personally don’t see the point of having chips you don’t use. Convince me otherwise…

Youre on a poker chip forum! First reason is just collecting: history behind them, pretty colors, the challenge of building a set one by one. Great. For some they're like art pieces, not practical gaming tokens. Cant say whether their opinion is wrong or not, not my place

Cash wise, different stakes (limit, micro, low, high) need different breakdowns. Also theres different types of clays or ceramics, fun to use both.

For some, tournament sets can be single table tournament very nice chips, 30+people multi table sets, bounty tournament, high roller, etc.

If I'm running 20+ games a year, its fun to switch it up! Players like it, I like it, and they dont mind putting that money into a hobby thats such a big part of their lives.

Because it's fun. I host a little more than once a month. I like to rotate sets. I have ceramics, paulson, custom cpc, and a trk set. Each set brings a different experience to the evening

So I’ve seen several posts talking about how people have multiple sets of chips. I understand having a cash set and a tournament set… or one set that can cover both. But what is the purpose of having more than one set of each? I see people posting that they have 5 or as many as 10 tournament sets. They also state that some sets have never been felted. I personally don’t see the point of having chips you don’t use. Convince me otherwise…

Hahahaha…..you must be new around here. Welcome to PCF.

Personally I have different sets for different occasions. Size of game, amount of players, indoor/outdoor games, whether the game is at my house or I’m bringing chips elsewhere, plus I have a few sets that I just think look amazing or I love the story behind, even if I don’t play them all the time.

1697291308986.gif

I thought I was done when I had Tina’s.

Then I thought I was done when I had CPCs

Definitely done after a mill/label job

Then I got a Majestic Star set built, that was my finish line

Then I promised myself I was done when I had IGs, no more chips

I realized I was surely done when I bought ASTs - this was it

But then I guaranteed myself to be done when I started the HotRod made of lead, peak of the mountain, just stop here, done

But then I needed to finish up with Tigers

My final set was a custom CPC tournament set, obvious ending here….

I had to snap buy a solid set, because that would be it for me.

But my final end all be all would be a Sundance house mold cash set

……….. Now I’m done ………..:ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Ginger Squirrely Dan GIF by Crave

Last edited:
Let's discuss this next year my fellow junkie to be. If you found your way to PCF, I suspect you will find the answer first hand over the next few months. :)

zt7yg.jpg

I think of it like this. Most people have more than one pair of nice dress clothes. We could get away with one pair but most of us have a few to a lot of nice dress clothes. We may wear a one to a couple of different suits/nice dress clothes to work but we don’t wear them anywhere else. Why is this? It could be a nice suit but not our favorite so we are willing to get it dirt and let it wear out and not care too much about it. We may have a really nice suit that cost more money and are not willing to get it dirty and don’t want to wear it out so we tend to wear it during special occasions. Sometimes we buy clothes and decide to never wear them because the occasion we bought it for never came up or we decided to wear something different instead.

^ ^ This right here is my next reason for another set! It’s brilliant!!!
Seriously! Over the pandemic we started playing outdoors, some guys had cigars and the smoke wasn’t an issue, and we used some slightly cheaper chips and the whole experience was magical!! Would highly encourage haha :)

Because I started collecting when a $300 rack of chips was something really special. $1000 could get you what people these days call a “ZOMG GRAIL” set and people actively looked to help each other out.

The value is not there (to me) these days, so I mainly hang around for the nostalgia of it all.

I really love my sets and my collection has only been tweaked in minor ways over the last 5 or 6 years. The previous 15 or so were pretty fun though.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom