Why are we still using Paypal? (1 Viewer)

1) Venmo will not let you tie more than one account to a bank account. He has one (shared) bank account with his wife, and he has gone through several different emails addresses over the years. Paypal can handle this without a problem, but evidently Venmo can not.

2) he has a fairly common name. he had a situation where his sister sent him $900 or so for her share of a vacation rental this summer. After 3 weeks, he was wondering when she would pay. She sent him the receipt, she had sent the money to the wrong person who shared the same common name. He did get the money back, but it definitely made him wary of Venmo. He looked into it and said it is not that uncommon of an occurance.
It's definitely worth confirming that you have the right username before sending funds, and I think newcomers are more likely to make that mistake. If you're paying someone or receiving payment on PCF I would recommend giving the other person your username, not have them try to find you by name. It also helps when you are dealing with the same people over and over (e.g., paying money back and forth to poker buddies or friends) because those people will show up in your list.

One other complaint I have about Venmo, and which is a difference from PayPal worth being aware of, is if you're trying to make a payment that exceeds your balance it will draw the full payment amount from your linked account rather than first use your Venmo funds. For example, if you have $300 in your Venmo and pay someone $250, it will obviously take that money from your balance BUT if you only have $200 in your Venmo and go to pay someone $250, it will leave the $200 in your account and pull $250 straight from your associated checking. Of course, you can then deposit that $200 back into your account, so there's not necessarily a net financial impact, but it can be an unintended consequence.

I hate PayPal. The only company I hate more is eBay. But Venmo doesn't offer anything better. Both are free to use within the US, but Venmo doesn't work outside the US in much of the world. So why bother? I use it with friends and coworkers for random payments, but I don't see it having any advantages over PayPal now that it's owned by PayPal lol.

The best way to avoid fees for international payments is by using bitcoin. It's the only way I know of at least.

Bitcoin > Google Pay >>>>>> PayPal > Venmo

I hate PayPal. The only company I hate more is eBay. But Venmo doesn't offer anything better. Both are free to use within the US, but Venmo doesn't work outside the US in much of the world. So why bother? I use it with friends and coworkers for random payments, but I don't see it having any advantages over PayPal now that it's owned by PayPal lol.

The best way to avoid fees for international payments is by using bitcoin. It's the only way I know of at least.

Bitcoin > Google Pay >>>>>> PayPal > Venmo
Bitcoin? For payments? Crazy talk. The value isn't stable enough. You make a payment worth $500 today - it's worth $650 or $450 tomorrow. Maybe when it's less volatile (if that day comes).

With that said, I don't have any other solution for international payments.

Reviving a couple month old thread here (sorry), but I'm glad to see some users preferring Venmo in the classifieds! I'm planning on a few sales in the coming weeks and will do the same.

Another thought hit me the other day and is probably obvious to some but took me a while to realize. Venmo and Papypal are run/owned by the same entity yet have different fees for essentially the same transactions. The simple answer is eBay and Paypal have a monopoly on payments on eBay. Paypal, at this point, is dependent on their business through eBay - any other transactions are gravy as far as fees are concerned for them.

I think the simple answer to the OP question is that PayPal is ubiquitous. Other forms of online payment may be superior, but if a buyer and seller don't/can't both use the same forms, they aren't really superior.

I hate change, but I have Venmo now and am willing to try anything once.

I will say that running into a PayPal issue last night with payment has shut down my entire bank account due to it creating a “fraud alert”. So not a huge fan atm.

Just because everyone has it is a terrrrible reason to use something especially when it comes to technology. Down with PP and it’s fees!!!!

Am I misremembering or did the free transfer time go from 1 business day to 1-3 business days? :mad:
34F8F122-21DE-473B-A70F-EAF6D5470503.jpeg

What are other "international" chippers using to transfer these days? I like using transferwise personally as it has sharp exchange rates, low fees, and doesn't charge the end-user to receive the money into the bank account as the funds are sent from a local account. The main drawback is that is not instant but for people who transact a lot, the savings are too great to ignore. Anyone else having success using transferwise or a similar service?

Been studying TransferWise a bit, but haven't pulled the trigger. The non-instant part is a bit tricky wrt. PCF... one possibility would be to enter an agreement with a trusted fellow PCF-er (and one who trusts you), who would be willing to help with that respect, i.e. accept money on a bank account via TransferWise, and then insta-Venmo/PP locally on your behalf.

I hate change, but I have Venmo now and am willing to try anything once.

I will say that running into a PayPal issue last night with payment has shut down my entire bank account due to it creating a “fraud alert”. So not a huge fan atm.

Sorry to comment so late, but this is exactly why I keep a separate bank account which is used *only* for paypal, and transfer chunks of money to it as needed.

Sorry to comment so late, but this is exactly why I keep a separate bank account which is used *only* for paypal, and transfer chunks of money to it as needed.
Same. I have never had my primary checking account associated with my PP.

For a very long time I used PP exclusively for credit card purchases, and I had an empty checking account with a separate institution just so I could get around the $10K lifetime transaction limit that PP used to (and may still) have for "unverified" accounts.

These days, I maintain a separate checking account with my CU strictly for PP/Venmo. I don't allow automated transfers or overdraft protection, so the only money at risk is the money I keep in that account. I can do manual transfers back and forth as needed, though, so it's extremely convenient.

I dunno, I'm a little older, I love PayPal. I never even heard of Venmo until a couple months ago during the lockdown I just happened to look at my bank account at around 10am. I noticed a withdrawal of $600 that happened around 9am. Somebody used Venmo to somehow withdrawal $600 out of my account. For this reason alone, I'll never use Venmo. Never had a single issue with PayPal in 20 years, or however long it's been around. I see no reason to switch. When I transfer money from PP it's in my account the next day, unless it's on a Friday, then I'll get it Monday. Just my 2 cents.

What are other "international" chippers using to transfer these days? I like using transferwise personally as it has sharp exchange rates, low fees, and doesn't charge the end-user to receive the money into the bank account as the funds are sent from a local account. The main drawback is that is not instant but for people who transact a lot, the savings are too great to ignore. Anyone else having success using transferwise or a similar service?
I have been using transferwise since the start of the year to move US funds to AU and its been great.

Yes, there is a delay in the transactions but thats a minor annoyance to put up with when considering the alternative exchange rates are woeful.

I just paid for something by Goods/Services and PayPal charged the seller 4.65% in fees. Holy shit.
The percentage is different in every region too. It may be 3.5% on one transaction, and then 4.2% on another.

You really didn't know about the charge? That's how they "protect" your purchase.

One thing I like about PayPal is the ability to send an invoice requesting money. So the seller just sends me an invoice for the purchase amount and I can pay him in 2ish clicks without fear of paying the wrong person.

I'm pretty sure, for Canadians, there is no other way to send funds reliably.

I'm willing to be educated and told a better way.

I absolutely hate PayPal, but what's my alternative? I wish I did business with only Canadians, I'd use EMT's only. No fees. No fuss. Instantly transferred. Why can't I EMT an American? It baffles me. I have a USD account, why not allow EMTs to other Americans. Even for a fee, I'd be all over it.

One thing I like about PayPal is the ability to send an invoice requesting money. So the seller just sends me an invoice for the purchase amount and I can pay him in 2ish clicks without fear of paying the wrong person.
Venmo also allows you to request money...

And sending a request/invoice just shifts the responsibility of connecting to the other party. Granted, its better to request money from the wrong person than it is to send money to the wrong person.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom