Why are we still using Paypal? (1 Viewer)

And no offense to the 45+ crowd (I’m almost there myself)... but I’m willing to bet everyone under 35 with a smartphone has Venmo. And uses it.
I think you're right, and I also think that age bracket has crept up closer to <50 very quickly. I'm several years north of 35 but I use Venmo and everyone I know uses it. I don't know how anyone these days participates in fantasy football leagues, golf bets, transferring cash for home games, etc. without it. I pay the girl who cuts my hair on Venmo. I can pay the landscaping company for mowing my lawn on Venmo. It's a pretty mainstream part of commerce at this point.

People should be smart enough to turn off public notifications (there was recently an underground poker game here in Utah that was busted in part because idiots were Venmoing the host with subjects like "chips" and "gambling problem" while the FBI observed and presumably smiled). But that's an easy setting to change.

I think you're right, and I also think that age bracket has crept up closer to <50 very quickly. I'm several years north of 35 but I use Venmo and everyone I know uses it. I don't know how anyone these days participates in fantasy football leagues, golf bets, transferring cash for home games, etc. without it. I pay the girl who cuts my hair on Venmo. I can pay the landscaping company for mowing my lawn on Venmo. It's a pretty mainstream part of commerce at this point.

People should be smart enough to turn off public notifications (there was recently an underground poker game here in Utah that was busted in part because idiots were Venmoing the host with subjects like "chips" and "gambling problem" while the FBI observed and presumably smiled). But that's an easy setting to change.
I pay my kids their allowance by Venmo :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Well it sounds like people are open to other options which surprises me!

It’s true that there is no payment protection with Venmo, however as far as I know, a F&F payment doesn’t have any sort of protection either.

Perhaps on my next transaction here, I’ll have Venmo preferred and PayPal as a secondary. Sure a $4.99 fee isn’t a lot, but why am I pissing $4.99 away that I could be donking off at the poker table instead :tup:

I have both, but normally everyone does paypal. Eh. Whatever works. As long as I get the money or send my money

I used to have the ability to hold money in PayPal. And I could use that PayPal balance to pay for other things.

Recently, PayPal changed that. Without giving them a bunch of personal information, PayPal forced me to deposit the money in my bank account before I could spend it. And when I pay money, it comes out of my bank account.

Does Venmo maintain a balance, or is it just a conduit I and out of my bank account?

I used to have the ability to hold money in PayPal. And I could use that PayPal balance to pay for other things.

Recently, PayPal changed that. Without giving them a bunch of personal information, PayPal forced me to deposit the money in my bank account before I could spend it. And when I pay money, it comes out of my bank account.

Does Venmo maintain a balance, or is it just a conduit I and out of my bank account?
You can hold a balance.

You're already part of the matrix in 20 ways you don't even know we're possible. Just lean into the turn!

You could open a Venmo account with no bank info, somebody sends you money and you are free to hold there as long as you want, and send to other users at any point for no fee. My mom used to do that before she started collecting tenants rent via Venmo, I’d pay her back for various things during college..eventually she said, “I’ve got 1k Venmo balance and nothing to do with it!?”

I use zelle, PayPal, venmo, Google pay, crypto. Basically flexible and happy to transfer/receive money in anyway. I default to PayPal since that's what people around here are comfortable with

I have a balance in my PayPal and I use it. Of course paypal isn't attached to our bank.

About a month ago, that's how PayPal operated for me... Take payments, keep a slush fund to spend later... But a change happened, and even with a balance, payments had to be made from my bank... I could 'Claim' the balance by sharing personal data (including SSN) with PayPal, or just transfer it to my bank... I chose to transfer.

PayPal said it was to verify my identity, which may be true, but I didn't want to share that info... So I'm on PayPal Lite™ now...

You can set your profile to private and have no worries about the social aspect of it.

giphy.gif

Ill have to look into Venmo.

I have the Square Cash app and that looks good but I have barely used it. Has anyone used that method?

It’s annoying paying the fees on PayPal FF when I buy something from someone in Canada, even when it’s staying USD. I’ve done that 3 or 4 times kinda recently. Does Venmo solve that issue? Sorry if I missed it in above comments.

I see little advantage to Venmo over PayPal. F&F both are free and without consumer protection. There are some international limitations to Venmo. I'm no fan of the social networking aspect. That said, I have a Venmo account, and would be happy to pay or be paid via Venmo - and I'm way over 45.

We have Venmo, PayPal, Google Pay, Apple Pay, and others. PayPal is the current default, but they all work pretty much the same for forum use. For commercial use, the shipping and consumer protection built into PayPal seem to make it superior.

If Paypal is free to use within the US, then whats the problem honestly? Venmo doesnt work for people outside of the US. For international transactions Paypal is pretty bad because your are forced to pay fees even when paying F&F. It would be nice to have an option for fee-less payment internationally. Revolut is great for Europe, but apparently isnt available in the US yet. -When it is released over there, it will hopefully become a good option for international transactions.

About a month ago, that's how PayPal operated for me... Take payments, keep a slush fund to spend later... But a change happened, and even with a balance, payments had to be made from my bank... I could 'Claim' the balance by sharing personal data (including SSN) with PayPal, or just transfer it to my bank... I chose to transfer.

PayPal said it was to verify my identity, which may be true, but I didn't want to share that info... So I'm on PayPal Lite™ now...

I’m in the same boat. I can no longer keep funds in PP. I can only transfer them to my bank account, I can’t pay for anything with any funds that need to be “claimed”, only with my bank account or CC.

I explored Venmo, but it seemed to have a social media component and I was all

I agree, but you can de-activate that "feature". I don't get why people need to tell their business to the world, from what they eat, where they go, or who they give their money to :confused

I'm new to Venmo, and haven't used it too often, but so far it seems to have been fine. I was talking with a colleague last night about the differences, and he pointed out two things:

1) Venmo will not let you tie more than one account to a bank account. He has one (shared) bank account with his wife, and he has gone through several different emails addresses over the years. Paypal can handle this without a problem, but evidently Venmo can not.

2) he has a fairly common name. he had a situation where his sister sent him $900 or so for her share of a vacation rental this summer. After 3 weeks, he was wondering when she would pay. She sent him the receipt, she had sent the money to the wrong person who shared the same common name. He did get the money back, but it definitely made him wary of Venmo. He looked into it and said it is not that uncommon of an occurance.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom