Who's got a boat? What are the pros/cons? (1 Viewer)

Sorry, can't help ya. I only own boat chips.

But a friend of mine claims that the day he bought a boat was the best day of his life, only exceeded in happiness by the day he sold it.

Proceed with caution, it's a lot like lighting money on fire. The boat club/rental option looks to be a lot more versatile and probably less expensive and troublesome in the long run.

Fishing is my favorite hobby (yes, even above poker chips). I have a couple boats. I HAD to buy a second because my favorite lake has a HP limit, and my main boat’s motor was too big. There is no doubt was BOAT stands for, and it has already been pointed out.

Besides the constant upkeep, you’re constantly going to be needing new batteries, and it never seems to fail that little things break. Also, if you plan on fishing a lot, the new, high tech electronics are another constant added expense. If you’re just a recreational fisherman, I’m sure that doesn’t matter too much, but to be competitive in tournaments anymore, you really do need some up-to-date electronics.

I have been lucky to be fairly successful at tournament fishing, but I’ll tell you this, if anyone thinks poker is a tough way to make an easy living, they sure as heck haven’t tried tournament fishing. Unless you’re on a top of the line pro circuit, you’re going to be working another job to make ends meet.

SD has some incredible fishing. I’m not sure how far you are away from the Glacial Lakes region, but there are countless lakes there with incredible fishing. I don’t know your main priority for boat usage, but bass boats with a big enough motor will have absolutely no problem pulling skiers and tubers. A bass boat could do for you what “Suck My Wake” did for John Candy.

My dad started taking me fishing when I was too young to know, and we have made more memories than I can even remember. All the costs associated with boat ownership are not even a thought when thinking about the incredible times with my old man. I wouldn’t trade those for anything (including being invited on the next boat NAGB).

Two best days in a boat owners life are the day they buy it, and the day they sell it.
I've heard this for years, I'm not trying to be rude to the boating community at all.

I think this applies to people that buy John boats or heavily used boats. I bought my boat new a few years ago, while there are gotcha's with the money, I've only had one issue with it, some one snuck onto my boat and turned on the lights, when I showed up the battery was dead! (okay maybe the switch was forgotten or something flipped it as we stowed it).

You need to winterize your boat, you need to 'summer-ize' your boat as well, I don't have a space to do this, so I have the dealer do it.
Well you also should acid wash your toons (at least once a year), and you should clean your boat (I do this) at the end of the season, or you can pay to have it done. You can have your boat plastic wrapped or you can store it inside, we go for inside. So we pay for a year round slip, and we pay for winter storage as well. Yes with a slip there is a trailer issues can't just park it at the docks, so we pay to have it stored onsite with the slip.

It is a lot of money, but I'm not crack'n open a motor on the lake and I'm not having headache, its drive down, get on the boat, enjoy the day, park it and drive home. I suspect if we sell the boat it will be with mix feelings. We don't take a lot of family trips, so this is kind of our vacation fund. We do it every weekend and miss it in the winter.

The cold has never really bothered me, not being able to enjoy the warm weather and water does now! Its too close to winter for my liking, I can already feel the somber overtones of 'Winter is coming'.

Last edited:
Yea that's what we did. We went with a lightly used but pretty recent boat and limited it to good builders and reliable engines. Took several months to find the right one but so far it's been really smooth and reliable. It's a 2014 Blue Wave 2200 Pure Bay with a Suzuki 200. That engine runs so smoothly sometimes you forget it's on during idle.

Sometimes we think about getting something bigger to handle more offshore fishing but these post covid prices are ridiculous!

I think its an exaggeration for sure, but there's certainly a kernel of truth in there. I think @Machine you (and others) make a lot of good points about the perks of boating. There's no question it takes an investment in time and money and really is just a matter of finding/making the time for it. If you can make the time and find the money that goes a long way in your enjoyment. If it's one more mechanical thing to take care of and spend cash on when you are short on time and or cash, it's not gonna be a fun time as you say.

My wife and I have a hard and fast rule: No boat ownership until lakefront property ownership.

Lake days are the best days. You won't regret it.
100% agree

When you are on the boat, in the shade with the breeze in your face and nothing but water around you everything melts away. BS from work, all the endless shit you need to fix or do, the politics that you worry about your kids having to deal with, poker losses, anything / everything, it goes away. You're left with pb&j sam-itches, ice cold lemonade and absolutely no fucks.
looks like I'm not the only one...

Two best days in a boat owners life are the day they buy it, and the day they sell it.
idk...
Maybe, but I think this comes from the perspective of someone that does not use their boat very often and finds it to be expensive, maybe even beyond their comfort zone of what is affordable. There are costs for sure, but owning a boat or a second home/cabin or whatnot creates some of the best memories with all generations: kids, parents, grandparents and if you are lucky, even great grandparents. What are you going to spend your money on anyway? You can't take it with you so you might as well enjoy some of the good things in life and in my opinion a boat is one of those...

No regrets for this boat owner

Time. It eats your time.
At some point you have to decide if you want to put in the time to make it worth it or just get rid of the expense.
If you are a casual once a month or so boater then just rent. It’s hassle free usually and you don’t have to worry about all the incidentals.

Also, if it’s a family boat that really means it’s fun for everybody except dad. You’ll find out.

And there’s also going to some really great times in between the time you buy and sell!

EC1CB2EB-3318-4ECA-B4C8-627065915465.jpeg

1A6D3AEA-A672-4247-9216-DD52DFCD37BC.jpeg

AF43FA66-BF19-48FF-9BB6-E7BE829884B7.jpeg

4C5765C4-9930-45CD-A4E4-DF7E6EE81901.jpeg

42AF9405-D8D9-495C-8DD0-0FCD110A9703.jpeg

3D910FFF-4C60-4955-B73E-66C930285400.jpeg

6DE6901E-79B0-4ED0-A13A-0B177A291540.jpeg

Is there a hobby that doesn't eat time?

You've clearly never relabeled a 1,200 piece chipset before.
That’s one and done. And yes, I’ve done several sets.

That boat will eat time everyday every week. It’s cool, you just have to be willing to do it.

Is there a hobby that doesn't eat time?

You've clearly never relabeled a 1,200 piece chipset before.
I’m not saying it’s bad, it’s just a piece of it that can get overlooked in the excitement of “what could be” It’s fine if you want to do it, go for it.

That’s one and done. And yes, I’ve done several sets.

That boat will eat time everyday every week. It’s cool, you just have to be willing to do it.
I’m not saying it’s bad, it’s just a piece of it that can get overlooked in the excitement of “what could be” It’s fine if you want to do it, go for it.

Sage advice. Thank you!!! :love:

Pro - you have a boat

Con - you have a boat

I've owned a few boats in my day. The best was when I owned a lake house, no trailering. When we moved to Utah I purchased a bass boat. My son was living with us at the time. I was the only one who could back the trailer onto the ramp. My son was perfect at driving the boat on the trailer, cross wind, chop, didn't matter. When he left for college back in Michigan, I took my wife out twice. Having her drive the boat on the trailer was a nightmare. I decided to sell the boat before I said something I would really regret.

Don’t own a boat, never have. An in-law did for a bit and it was great…to know someone with a boat. In college and just after I did a lot of scuba diving and it was great…to know someone with a boat.

I suppose it’s a lot like scuba actually, The gear is very pricey, requires maintenance before and after use, and does not like to sit unused.

If you’re going to use it a ton (no clue what the break even point is but way more than just a few weekends in the summer?) then seems like it’ll be worth it. If not, rent: you’ll have the memories without the burden of ownership.

Last edited:
Is renting a boat, an easy thing to do in most places? I mean, availability of businesses that do that?

Is renting a boat, an easy thing to do in most places? I mean, availability of businesses that do that?
I would imagine only on the more popular and larger lakes. Lake Travis around here has a few boat and jet ski rental places. Pontoon boat rentals seems to be the most popular.

In population centers, yeah. At least in the PNW. Definitely on the salt water side of things. Presume it’s different in the sticks, though.

i have a boat, a sunseeker 65ish footer. I like to joke and call myself boat rich fuel poor, better to just hang out at the cockpit and not go anywhere when going at 80% throttle basically costs $600 per hr.

Out on my boats with the kids all labor day weekend. Lots of wake surfing & tubing on the inboard and lounging, beers and just hanging the pontoon. 4 days straight of sunny 80 deg f perfect days.

Even if that was the only weekend all year, it would be worth it!

just sold mine :( miss her already , the guy that bought it wont quit texting me how awesome it is and the upgrades he is doing :( grrrrr

Pro tip for trailering into the water: disconnect the lights first. Touching the brakes with the lights submerged and connected equals replacing the light bulbs.

Pro tip for boats in salt water: replace the engine zincs annually. Corroded zincs much less expensive than corroded engine.

Pro tip for trailering into the water: disconnect the lights first. Touching the brakes with the lights submerged and connected equals replacing the light bulbs.
Seriously? I have never heard of this. I couldn’t tell you how many hundreds and hundreds of times I’ve launched and never done this. The lights have never had an issue.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom