Which 3 limit games to start with? (1 Viewer)

monkeydog

Flush
Reaction score
I'll be introducing Limit poker to the game tonight and am looking for a suggestion on the "easiest" games to add (other then Hold Em).

We currently plat .25/.50 NLHE, .25/.50 PLO and with the odd sprinkling of PL Pineapple.

The Limit portion will be $1/$2.

Thanks!

Stud 8 has been interesting. We played that as limit in our last home game and I kind of liked it since I had never played it before. I really like Big O, although its very similar to O8.

Pick any three of the HORSE games. All five are great fixed-limit games, imo..... and one of the reasons that HORSE is a popular format.

Later, you can add Pineapple (regular, crazy, or lazy), Scrotum (regular or Hi-Lo), SOHE, and/or SuperHold'em (regular or Hi-Lo) -- all play very well as fixed-limit games.

O8 or Big O are great but I would only add them if you have a couple competent hand readers in the crew or it could become frustrating.

I like HORSE games for limit. If you're only doing 3 games, I would do Hold-Em, 7-card stud, and maybe a hi-low game 8 or better (stud or Omaha)

Definitely have a split pot game so they get used to halfing and quartering the pot. This always screws up noobs to limit games.

Just out of curiosity, why razz rather than 7-stud?

And my own home game experience is that most younger players hate draw poker. Ymmv, of course.

I think low fixed limit Razz is a good time to learn how to play it. I would be fine substituting any of the stud games in its place.

I would do Hold-Em,

Hold-em is boring enough playing no limit. Fixed limit would drive me insane. Actually, it wouldn't. I think that is the one time I'd rather not play cards than to play fixed limit hold'em

While learning the games, 1/2 limit is fine for people used to 50NL, but you should eventually make it 3/6 or higher to have the potential of big limit pots similarly sized to big no limit pots.

While learning the games, 1/2 limit is fine for people used to 50NL, but you should eventually make it 3/6 or higher to have the potential of big limit pots similarly sized to big no limit pots.

We play .25/.50 100 max buy in for NL and PL. Our games probably play like 1/1. The one fixed limit game I hosted was 3/6 and it played great. I think we would have to move up to 4/8 to to get it comparable to our standard stakes.

Hold-em is boring enough playing no limit. Fixed limit would drive me insane. Actually, it wouldn't. I think that is the one time I'd rather not play cards than to play fixed limit hold'em

FLHE is great. Play 10/20 or 20/40. Then tell me how you feel. You have to be able to tell the correct story for it tho.

I'll be introducing Limit poker to the game tonight and am looking for a suggestion on the "easiest" games to add

If the criteria is the "easiest" games to introduced, from a mechanics perspective (which is totally different than mastery), I would add 2-7 Triple Draw and Razz (Stud Hi also a good choice) to the rotation. After a game or two, you could introduce split pot games like O8 and Stud8.

How many players does the game have on average?

Stud games and 2-7 don't play all that well with a full table as you run out of cards. I know there are workarounds but this is the dry run.

Badugi is a good substitute for 2-7 when there is a full table.

How many players does the game have on average?

Stud games and 2-7 don't play all that well with a full table as you run out of cards. I know there are workarounds but this is the dry run.

Badugi is a good substitute for 2-7 when there is a full table.

HORSE you can play 8 handed no problem. 2-7 TD is a 6 max game and Badugi is 8 handed as well.

If you wanted to do three only and the players know H/L games then I would pick Hold'em, Omaha 8, and Stud 8. HOE is a fantastic rotation. However, if the players do not know H/L games then I would stick with Hold'em, Stud, and Razz which would give them an opportunity to learn low games and only having to focus on that component.

We only play limit and here's what we do. Works fantastic. No low hand, no split pots. Straightforward limit poker.

$2/$4 limit with half kill to $3/$6

2 card game - Hold'em
3 card game - Pineapple
4 card game - Omaha High
5 card game - Big O

I would suggest Razz, Stud and Stud 8 for a couple of reasons.

First, I think you want them playing a different game so they don't fall back into the same NL patterns. And the strategy for each is relatively the same.

If they don't want to play a split pot game, NLHE instead of Stud 8.

Thanks for all the input! I think we will go with HORSE - not sure why I didn't think of that!! Bad news - had a bunch of last minute cancellations so Limit will have to wait till next time. Good news - I have a bunch of chips to unpack!!
IMG_1241.JPG

I think low fixed limit Razz is a good time to learn how to play it. I would be fine substituting any of the stud games in its place.

Got off work early yesterday and played hold-em 10/20 fixed at Golden Gates for about 90 minutes. Played 7 hands and won 4. Net $268. I was never bored

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom