Where do you get your news? (1 Viewer)

The opinion page in the WSJ is garbage, but otherwise it is a reliable source imo.

+1 to this. Many people get confused about the difference between opinion pieces on editorial pages and the actual news content.

Politico really rings as Center? I usually don't look, having thought they were left. I'll give them a little more attention.

I like the news.google.com feed for "current" news, but I always hit the "see realtime coverage" button to expand the feeds and pick whichever sources I think will tend to be more reputable. Often, it's the wire services themselves, not the branded sites. (I.e., Reuters instead of a newspaper that will carry Reuters content.)

I also pay real money for The Economist; I read some of it online, some of it on the paper edition that shows up.

I also agree about On The Media and Real Time... A lot of good stuff in both, and while Bill Maher has a definite bias on each individual issue, he doesn't hide or dance around about it, so you know where he stands.

I'll throw Last Week Tonight in here, as well. More focused on comedy than Maher, but some interesting "investigative humor," especially in the weekly ending rant.

Can I answer this question the way probably 51% of Americans would? The answer is Facebook newsfeed, all the whitetrash mommies and daddies across the country with the IQ level of an infant squirrel.

Half the news articles on Facebook are hearsay, you click the link on the right side and every Facebook news source has the topic/subject incorrect from the source.

2016 Journalism - be first, even if it means being WILDLY inaccurate

+1 to this. Many people get confused about the difference between opinion pieces on editorial pages and the actual news content.
Which is one reason why I like the WSJ, unlike other sources they do a pretty good job keeping the editorial stuff in one section and the news in another. And when they don't, it's clearly labeled as Analysis or Commentary. So many sources these days try to add analysis or commentary in the front page news stories without realizing when they cross the line from merely analyzing something to proselytizing. Or rather, they probably know, they just don't care.

Politico really rings as Center? I usually don't look, having thought they were left. I'll give them a little more attention.

Politico will suck whatever dick is in front of it. When it was first published in 2007 it was criticized for being too sympathetic to Bush 43. They're biased in favor of whoever is in office at the moment without regard for ideology. Although I do remember some kind of controversy when Politico accused a bunch of other papers with national circulation of being biased against Romney during the 2012 race, so who knows where that fits in.

It's a bad time to look at their news coverage for evidence of objectivity since this is the week of the GOP convention and it is a giant clusterfuck and they'll be covering it as such, appearing to some as biased against the Republicans, but in actuality merely reporting the debacle that is the current state of the party.

If their opinion page means anything, the last four were:

The Trump Dynasty Takes Over the GOP by Rich Lowry
The Case for Newt by Rich Lowry
If You Can't Support Trump, You Don't Deserve a Microphone by Mike Huckabee
Rigged 101 by Rich Lowry (accompanied by a photo of Hillary Clinton)

So not exactly a bastion of progressive thought in the editorials either.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom