When did this hobby change (3 Viewers)

Everyone had it out over flipping. Good cathartic convo. Moving on!
Found it!

https://web.archive.org/web/20000819023609/http://www.suck.com/daily/96/07/03/

All that attitude aside... I think the simple solutions—if one is feeling like the ads are too dominant—are to make a point of starting some non-sale threads on the regular, and/or to find old thread topics which interest you and revive them with a new comment. Other people will join in, no doubt.
Let’s do this! (To be fair, I will be selling some chips to find this....)

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/post-your-idea-make-some-money.52181/

Seems like a strawman argument because you hold a grudge.

If a forum relies on content from 1 or 2 people to remain entertaining... then it's over before it even gets started.
I have zero skin in the NAGB ordeal, but I whole heartlessly agree with @Chippy McChiperson - the forum was better before the banning and the mass moderation.

I know the original topic is "When" did the hobby change, and I think @BGinGA @Chippy McChiperson and others all make solid points in regards to those inflection points, but "What changed" is really the question. Rampant Flipping, Auctions, Price inflation and NAGB's take the blunt of the blame, but for me there were more subtle changes within the community that increasingly turned me away. I feel like when the sales prices really started to escalate, people needed to justify/protect their investments, and there was an increasing level of chip superiority. Instead of the community celebrating all types of chips, a rank system was formed. We had "Hall of Fame" designations, every expensive set became a "Grail Set" and those who owned the most expensive chips dictated to the community what was the best and what was inferior. TRK and Leaded Paulsons are the gold standard, and if they have shaped inlays, then they are even better. House molds are better than standard, THC are superior to RHC, and dont even talk about Grand or Faux shaped inlays. God forbid anyone use a CPC Level 1 Spot configuration, even though its a timeless classic. Somehow this became gospel, and the newbies who were just entering the hobby and had no clue what a leaded chip felt like, or the difference between THC and RHC were quickly told which was better, in most cases by those who own the "best" chips. Honestly, do any home game players have issues with their mint RHC molds chipping or wearing faster than THC? 43MM chips only threw gasoline on the flames, and at some point we even crossed the line and started disparaging other peoples chips/designs instead of celebrating them collectively.

The other thing that changed for alot of older members is they got sick of giving chips away only to see them resold at market rates. I guess this is a form of flipping, but I think its more personal. I dont really sell or buy anything anymore.

These days, if you are not buying or selling any chips there is not alot of site content to really engage with newer members and make new friends. I know how to clean chips and remove inlays, and lots of the threads topics have been done time and time again. The names that I used to recognize and look for are not really active. The controversial topics can be fun to engage for a little while, but ultimately lead to contention. I still check in from time to time, but not really with the excitement that Ive had in the past.

So maybe the hobby has changed, or maybe its just me, but figured I would share my perspective.

I actually like this place better without bergs and butler. They might be nice irl but were both douchebags online most of the time. Argumentative, uncouth, and prone to personal attacks rather than engaging in discussion. Just my opinion though, for whatever it’s worth.

I actually like this place better without bergs and butler. They might be nice irl but were both douchebags online most of the time. Argumentative, uncouth, and prone to personal attacks rather than engaging in discussion. Just my opinion though, for whatever it’s worth.
Not being a dick, just asking a real question. Don’t we still have people on here who you routinely see fighting every week? I feel like there’s three off the top of my head that I’ve seen fight once a week against any number of users.

This can probably be said about many people still allowed on the forum

Not being a dick, just asking a real question. Don’t we still have people on here who you routinely see fighting every week? I feel like there’s three off the top of my head that I’ve seen fight once a week against any number of users.
Don't bring me into this!

If the proliferation of “For Sale” ads in people’s feed is an issue worth addressing, could an option be made available to exclude classified-type threads from the “New Post” list in the same way that vendors’ threads do not appear there?

This can probably be said about many people still allowed on the forum

True, I’m prone to that myself from time to time.

They might be great people, I only know what I saw online and wasn’t a fan. Maybe I was just not sharp enough to see through the banter. Personally, if they were still here I would mind either, but I’d prolly have them on ignore lol.

If the proliferation of “For Sale” ads in people’s feed is an issue worth addressing, could an option be made available to exclude classified-type threads from the “New Post” list in the same way that vendors’ threads do not appear there?
Either that, or maybe give the option to have the classifieds subforum itself to be viewable or not the same way that the politics board works. Have a check box that you can check or uncheck to show certain subforums and hide others, and can be changed any time.

I think that may be a somewhat workable solution if some folks are bothered by the classifieds spam.

I have zero skin in the NAGB ordeal, but I whole heartlessly agree with @Chippy McChiperson - the forum was better before the banning and the mass moderation.

I completely agree!

I also think the forum was better before JM left...
And before BCC closed down.
And before Paulson stopped selling to the home market.
And before CPC stopped offering discounts on bulk orders/group buys.
And before members were flipping TCR insane-o sales.
And before Sal died.
And before members did private Paulson group buys.
And before members tried to personally attack/damage members doing private Paulson group buys.
And before NAGB/Boat/SB/BTP chips hit $15/each.
...we could all go on and on and on.

There are lots of bones to pick about the (many) changes that have occurred over the last 10 years in the chipping world that have affected this forum directly or indirectly. Focusing on one of them just seems irresponsible in my view, and is only intended to get some knee-jerky emotional reactions.

But we all have different opinions. And can happily agree to disagree on many of them.

*insert shrug emoji here*

Agreed. When I first signed up and started reading PCF, I actually texted another member here and said "jbutler on PCF is kind of a dick. His avatar picture with Anthony Wiener makes sense." :LOL: :laugh:

I completely agree!

And before Sal died.
And before members tried to personally attack/damage members doing private Paulson group buys.

There are lots of bones to pick about the (many) changes that have occurred over the last 10 years in the chipping world that have affected this forum directly or indirectly. Focusing on one of them just seems irresponsible in my view, and is only intended to get some knee-jerky emotional reactions.

But we all have different opinions. And can happily agree to disagree on many of them.

So you’re saying your a “high level” kind of guy? :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

So you’re saying your a “high level” kind of guy? :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

1580407979970.png

After a yearlong absence, I can tell you that it sure seems like there's a lot less non-classifieds content here than there was before. Why that is, exactly, is probably a fruitless debate.

I completely agree!

And before Sal died.

I can't disagree with the above, but the tipping point in my opinion was the moderation leading up to the nagb reveal. I personally do not trust the content of posts/threads now the way I did prior to that occurring. I'm always assuming that some content may be quitely removed with almost no trace (skipped post # was the only visible clue if you didn't see it).

Not to wade into any kind of debate on it, but the concept of needing to have training like this in schools, workplaces, etc. is so foreign to me I can't actually wrap my head around it...
Seeing where you're from, that's completely understandable. Unfortunately for us, it's part of our way of life now, at least in most environments. @detroitdad can probably back me up on this, but in the early years of my career law enforcement on college campuses was seen as a great, low stress way to either get your foot in the door career wise, or collect a nice paycheck to supplement your pension from another agency. Not anymore. Not by a long shot. 18yr son of a friend of mine was just shot and killed in another mass shooting, this one in SCarolina on Sunday. Not that it's getting much attention - which itself shows just how "normal" this kind of thing is becoming... but all that's for another time. Sorry for the rant.

I can't disagree with the above, but the tipping point in my opinion was the moderation leading up to the nagb reveal. I personally do not trust the content of posts/threads now the way I did prior to that occurring. I'm always assuming that some content may be quitely removed with almost no trace (skipped post # was the only visible clue if you didn't see it).

I get it. I really do. And that's not sarcasm or snark.

Is there an easy answer? I'm not sure there is.

We all had these same discussions over a year ago when "the other site" was opened, and then quickly closed, due to lack of moderation of the very things that spurred its creation. Namely doxing, bashing/harassment of other members, completely unlimited/unhindered speech, etc. And then what happened...? The site owner finally relented, realized he needed to start moderating some things, and then he got bashed as a result. It's not worth rehashing all of it but it just demonstrates both perspectives. Specifically: abuse of moderation/censorship is not good, and limitless freedom for posted subject matter is not good either.

Is there a perfect balance? I honestly don't know.

Hey gang,

I think I figured out how to make a custom "new posts" view.

First, you'll have to manually go into individual forums and click "Watch" to select the content you'd like to see. I'd suggest turning off notifications.

1580409201279.png

Once you've selected the forums you are interested in go to "New Posts" and on the right hand side open up the filter menu and set it up as below.

1580409119904.png

Click the filter button once more and then you will be presented with a view of new posts of your selected forums. I haven't extensively tested, but seems like it's working pretty well to me. If you want to see everything you can always remove the "Watched Content" filter.

Anyways, just out here doing god's work. Have a nice day.

Hey gang,

I think I figured out how to make a custom "new posts" view.

First, you'll have to manually go into individual forums and click "Watch" to select the content you'd like to see. I'd suggest turning off notifications.

View attachment 400126

Once you've selected the forums you are interested in go to "New Posts" and on the right hand side open up the filter menu and set it up as below.

View attachment 400122
Click the filter button once more and then you will be presented with a view of new posts of your selected forums. I haven't extensively tested, but seems like it's working pretty well to me. If you want to see everything you can always remove the "Watched Content" filter.

Anyways, just out here doing god's work. Have a nice day.
Bless you, sir

We all had these same discussions over a year ago when "the other site" was opened, and then quickly closed, due to lack of moderation of the very things that spurred its creation. Namely doxing, bashing/harassment of other members, completely unlimited/unhindered speech, etc. And then what happened...? The site owner finally relented, realized he needed to start moderating some things, and then he got bashed as a result. It's not worth rehashing all of it but it just demonstrates both perspectives. Specifically: abuse of moderation/censorship is not good, and limitless freedom for posted subject matter is not good either.

not sure if this is an entirely accurate assessment. Not saying all of those things didn't happen, but know if they led to the site closing.

not sure if this is an entirely accurate assessment. Not saying all of those things didn't happen, but know if they led to the site closing.

Fair point and you may be right. The doxing was probably a singular issue as it related to the loss of members and ultimately the site's closing. The other stuff was just happening simultaneously.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom