When did this community become so ??? (1 Viewer)

And there was no danger of them being photoshopped?
There was a lot of trust involved.

Trust that the Project Leader was on the level. Trust that the overseas contact was legit. Trust that the shipping company was good. Trust that the warehouse in was kept cool enough that the chips wouldn't melt. Trust that the fees for business licences, shipping contracts, and reshipping materials were accurate.

But yeah, if you get past all those hurdles, how does anybody trust that the invoice for $1.30 (to $1.80 for 9+ edgespots) for a Paulson chip wasn't photoshopped?

GB members were total suckers.

Let’s lay this to rest already guys. Trolls gonna troll.

I for one have made some very dear friends through this hobby and the ebbs and flows of the tenor of this site will not change that.

There are always two sides to every story and no matter what anyone thinks they know is rarely 100% accurate.

Take this site for what it is, an opportunity to make chipping contacts and potentially a whole lot more. It is what WE make it.

And there was no danger of them being photoshopped?

weirdalfoil_2322.jpg

Watching this (repetitive) drama is like when my wife is watching a reality TV show when I'm doing something else - all of a sudden I get distracted by it when the emotions get high. Just a few quick observations.

It's done. The constant attacks/defenses/debates aren't going to change anything. It's like that significant other most of us had at some point in our younger years - no matter what you do, it's not changing, so stop it with the debate. The need for multiple parties involved in this needing to be right/win/validated isn't going to get anyone anywhere. Without naming names, do you really think any of the vocal parties on either side of this are going to all of a sudden say, "Now that you made that last epic point I can see you're totally right, and also I'm a big arsehole and am totally unreasonable?"

Getting left out sucks. But I think this feeling has translated into claims about the market that there's not really evidence to support - and as it has already been stated, if anything the boat chips created a period of time when the market was flooded with cheaper chips. Oh no.

Suspicion that some folks bought with the intention to flip for a profit isn't unethical even if it did happen that way for some folks - but I think some folks are attributing their personal values on to how a chipper should operate onto how they assume some people operated. They didn't screw anybody, even if you feel "a good chipper" would not have flipped any chips. And you still don't know if anyone did that. And even if anyone did, that's probably the minority of the group.

Supplies of chips increasing is never a bad thing - as chips get used there's less minty/playable sets over time, so new ones need to get added to keep things stable.

For those looking at it as an investment, the market is always going to be changing. If GPI all of a sudden opened up to the home market again for a few set designs or customs, most used chips would be tethered to that new number. There's still a barrier on supply, even though new supplies were introduced. Stuff happens. I still have my giant supply of baseball cards.

People who feel like dishonest statements were made and that's the core of their issue, I can see why you would feel that way. Personally I don't given the need for secrecy, but I get how someone could. The defensiveness by some GB participants I think have heightened some people's feel that something here was wrong/dishonest. If that defensiveness stopped, I think this would fizzle out pretty quickly.

And not knowing the gory details, it's still not reasonable to think that something should have been done to involved the whole community.

All that text wall said, I've always appreciated the advice/direction from those of you who I've interacted with.

Oh come on seriously?

When I first read that, it totally reminded me of Josh's Avatar photo from CT... (I couldn't find the actual avatar photo).

tin-foillll.jpg

Certainly a lot of curiosity about the star venture, and a lot of judgment being passed. I understand that some of it might be warranted... But I also get the concept that someone's level of curiosity isn't always proportional to their right to know every detail about a private transaction they were not a part of (this might explain some of the reluctance of people to share openly about it)?

I've witnessed some pretty ridiculous discussions here, with folks feverishly arguing back and forth because someone claimed the chips cost $1.13 each vs someone claiming they cost $1.28 each... All because someone felt they had a right to know the EXACT cost and felt the other person was being deceitful...? How much does this really matter to real life NOW? Other than to satisfy a curiosity? Lets figure out if it's worth getting into an argument about it, and whether it's worth the brain effort to keep up the fight/arguments.

But I've also witnessed some very productive discussions about the star venture. I think BGinGA has done a good job (over many threads) of trying to engage in respectful conversations about the endeavor, and to my knowledge has not provided false information.

Some people cannot let the past go. I was not here before or during the boat buy so I don't have a dog in the fight but it's time to move on. Rehashing the past isn't going to bring anyone together.

I think BGinGA has done a good job (over many threads) of trying to engage in respectful conversations about the endeavor

And also across multiple forums. He has been the most forthcoming about details regarding the acquisition of the Star chips and has received tons of grief for it, with some claiming that he was withholding info or being disingenuous instead of being thankful for what information he was able to provide. No matter what, there are some out there that are going to be upset that you’re not telling them what they want to hear.

Can’t we just drop it, move on, and enjoy chipping again please?

Edit: the last statement was meant for the community as a whole, not a direct response to @Trihonda whom I’ve quoted.

That proves my point of the barrier to entry. One rack of those chips would cost $368. The boat chips were sold at under $2 for every chip.
I was talking about options one might have now. Do 6D18 / 818 star chips sell for less than $3.68 each now? Not sure, just asking, in case you might know.

I’m obviously behind the curve on those. What chips are those?

I've only been here a short while. I have not personally seen or experienced any drama. I am almost giddy with excitement getting into this chip design process and people here have been really helpful and generous with their ideas and concepts on my thread. Thanks to Nex, PerthMike, Planetary, n0m1n4l and Stocky in particular.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom