Tourney What seems to be the ideal distribution of chips once down to 2 denominations? (1 Viewer)

Frode789

Two Pair
Reaction score
Example: The T1K chips are removed and you have about ~3-4 levels left of the tournament, and you are left with T5K and T25K chips in play. Maybe 3 player are left.
Too few high level chips and it will slow down things and feel annoying. Too few of the small chips and it will be very few chips in play and limit bet sizing/more change making with the big stack?
25%-75%?

Rule of thumb might be keep the amounts in the denominations the same - for every $25,000 have five $5000 in play.

Our tournaments typically end like this - one barrel of T5000 in play and one rack of T1000 in play. More or less, like I say a rule of thumb. If we have more players we get more chips in play but the end ratio stays about the same. If you have to err go on the small side, easier to slide out stacks of $5000 than it is to break up $25,000 every hand or street.

Rule of thumb might be keep the amounts in the denominations the same - for every $25,000 have five $5000 in play.
^ This is typically optimal per my observations, and it's simplicity is brilliant.... but it needs a 'minimum chips' qualifier.

For T25-base, 120-160 total chips in play towards the end (arguably optimum when 3-4 handed and heads-up) usually comes down to roughly 100-130 x T1000 and 20-30 x T5000.

But to get a barrel of T25Ks in play (plus a rack of T5000s) for a T100-base event is gonna require really big starting stacks, a pretty large player field, and/or a crap-ton of re-buys. And fewer than a half-barrel of T25k chips in play is still going to need 100+ T5000s spread out across 2-4 people for the event to not feel short on chips.

5:1 sometimes works, but depending on the total chip count in play, it may be better to nearly double that to 9:1 or so (as 5:1 may not get enough chips on the table).

3:1 (75/25) and 4:1 (80/20) are usually inadequate -- just not enough smaller chips.

I've only played two T100 tournaments with them so far, but I have a set with 80x5k and 20x25k. That's 400k and 500k respectively, and honestly it seems to work out pretty well to end with just those in play. It's a 50k SS with a 50k "free" add-on or rebuy in the buy in cost, so it's designed to get all the high denoms in play. 8 people means 800k so equal chip value of both, and 9 just means I put the last 4 plaques in play.

I've only played two T100 tournaments with them so far, but I have a set with 80x5k and 20x25k. That's 400k and 500k respectively, and honestly it seems to work out pretty well to end with just those in play. It's a 50k SS with a 50k "free" add-on or rebuy in the buy in cost, so it's designed to get all the high denoms in play. 8 people means 800k so equal chip value of both, and 9 just means I put the last 4 plaques in play.
Agreed, 100 total chips/plaques in play at tourney end can work (80-200 is typically okay, with 120-160 being the sweet spot).

Depending on the color-up schedule, having fewer chips spread across more players can hinder playability (as can too many chips with just two remaining players).

Agreed, 100 total chips/plaques in play at tourney end can work (80-200 is typically okay, with 120-160 being the sweet spot).

Depending on the color-up schedule, having fewer chips spread across more players can hinder playability (as can too many chips with just two remaining players).
I believe last time when we reached the 10k/20k level and colored up the T1ks there were 3 players left, leaving ~26.6 5ks per player and ~6.6 25ks per player. That seemed like enough, and the third player was out fairly quickly after.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom