Tourney HELP with structure for Meet-Up Main Event (1 Viewer)

45k starting stacks (12/12/5/11/6 or 12/12/7/10/6) are definitively preferable to 50k stacks that contain T25k chips.

You will have plenty of T1000s in play already with those starting stacks, so color-up the T25, T100, and T500 chips using T5000s, and color-up the T1000 chips with T25000s. Add T5k and T25k chips with 5-chip re-buys (4xT5000 +1xT25000).

For 17 players, that will put roughly 125 total chips in play at tournament finish (plus any re-buy chips), which is a perfectly acceptable amount.
Thanks. I've decided on 45k starting stacks (12/12/7/10/6). Looks like we'll be 16 now in the end after a last-minute COVID-related drop-out yesterday.

Luckily, there will be some experienced tournament hosts in attendance who can help this rookie with colouring-up. I've watched some videos though and I think I've got now.

Thanks again to everyone for the help - Saturday can't come soon enough now!

I would encourage you to allow one rebuy for the first 90-120minutes.

Luckily, there will be some experienced tournament hosts in attendance who can help this rookie with colouring-up. I've watched some videos though and I think I've got now.
I imagine there's a chance you've seen these, but these are by far the two best videos on the topic in my opinion.

From @Chris Manzoni ( PCFer :)!, he prefers the round up method)

West Coast Dealing School (not as sure that he's a PCFer ;), but he prefers the race-off method, as do I)
*You can probably safely start this video at 3:45 and catch everything important

I imagine there's a chance you've seen these, but these are by far the two best videos on the topic in my opinion.

From @Chris Manzoni ( PCFer :)!, he prefers the round up method)

West Coast Dealing School (not as sure that he's a PCFer ;), but he prefers the race-off method, as do I)
*You can probably safely start this video at 3:45 and catch everything important
I've watched the first video a few times now. It's great. Haven't seen the second one yet - thanks!

With your set, I recommend the following for T50k:
View attachment 1259267

For color-up, you have plenty of chips. Reminder to ask chip leader at each table to buy the smaller chips being colored-up at their table to save the host time. After the chip leaders buy the majority of chips being colored up (i.e., those not being rounded-up), ask the players to have nice little stacks in front of them that round up to T1k or T500 so you can quickly drop a chip and pull off the extras. You should only spend appreciable time with the chip leader at each table (unless you really want to race instead of round chips at color-up).

When coloring later, start with the big stacks and exchange 5xT5k chips for a couple T25k and you will have plenty (i.e., as you are just n=9 chips short of max T5k target). Recommend saving T25k for players who rebuy and the final color-up. It makes those chips more special. With 12/12/X starting point, you have lots of chips, so avoid adding lower denom chips that are removed later.

For structure, I'd add a few levels between some of your larger blind increases (i.e., SB 2k to 8k) to avoid a rushed feel to the late tourney. I'd also slightly accelerate the lower level timing in exchange for more time at the higher levels where decisions need more time.

Have fun, and post lots of pics!

View attachment 1259272
@Tommy anything us "Dark Mode" users can do to make the above table more visible?

@Tommy anything us "Dark Mode" users can do to make the above table more visible?
I tweaked some code for the post editor tables. The some of the other tables that are posted are images which are out of my control.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom