WHAT PLAYING CARDS SHOULD I BUY AND WHY!!?? (1 Viewer)

Mtvernonbryan

Straight
Reaction score
Its that time to buy some playing cards. I've had KEM's and Copags but I'm thinking of venturing out. I prefer bridge size. Just would like to hear what cards you prefer and why to help me make my decision.

Maybe more flexible. I liked the copags

Desjgn is the closest and they are gorgeous and classy. I would probably only buy Desjgn’s if he put out more bridge size options.

Cartamundi Acetate are also a close second but they have a very smooth texture which you may or may not like. Fournier produced cards are probably third as far as flexiblity.

Fourth would be DaVinci, Modiano, Guild which all feel very close.

Gemaco Superflex are ironically pretty stiff. Faded Spade are the stiffest cards I know of and are unpleasant to shuffle.

NOTHING feels as nice as Kem.

I've been a big fan of fournier, but lately I've been playing with Desjgn and Piatnik a lot. And what they made me realize is that Fourniers have a lot more top card float than I like. So Fournier isn't perfect. As far as I'm concerned, desJgn might be perfect. Except the desjgn's that are perfect are made on a different stock than the newest ones that are coming soon. And Piatnik might be perfect, but they're really hard to find. That might leave us with Bicycle Prestige, but I haven't used those in so long, I don't remember if they have the same top card float issue as the Fourniers. They might.

But seriously though, I too favor KEMs, but I can't stomach the cost of a new deck so I usually buy used WSOP decks. There's a risk of warping...so you may not want to go that route. Personally I'm okay with a little warpage if it's in the right direction.

I'll note that I'm pretty much 95% feel and 5% looks. I also pretty much exclusively play with Bridge. I haven't gotten the Bridge Faded Spades into a game yet, so I don't know where they will fall.

My personal favorites are probably in this order:

KEM > Piatnik > Desjgn > Modiano (which I won't buy any longer) > Bicycle Prestige > Copag > Divinci (also on the no buy list).

The difference between Modiano / BP / Copag / Divinci is very slim, they are all very similar in my opinion. I have a set of Fournier but they are actually the only cards I won't play with due to looks, simply because the two decks are quite hard to tell apart and we play two decks on a table. I did play one heads up game with them and found them to be pretty similar to the bottom 4, although a bit thicker if I remember right. I very much dislike cards that are too thick, makes shuffling more annoying.

For a new deck, your best value is going to be Bicycle Prestige, just can't beat that price on amazon that was linked (note however that they don't come in a case).

Next up for value and a bit more luxurious is Desjgn IMO.

Piatnik (and Fournier) are too difficult to obtain in the US.

I find myself 7/10 times reaching for KEMs because I just love the feel of them and enjoy dealing them and peeking them more than any other cards. However, unless you buy used WSOP decks they are not cost efficient especially given the warpage issues.

Great insight. Thanks everyone. I think I may buy a couple different setups. Can someone send me a link to Desjgn? Maybe try them and something else...

I’ve been pretty happy with both Guild and Modiano, but as others have said, hesitate to recommend Modiano anymore due to past issues.

Desjgn is very well liked around these parts but I personally am not a fan of the non standard pip designs on 2-10. Im sure fantastic cards and definitely a good company can’t fault their service to this community at all. If they have standard design cards (they probably do and I just haven’t seen them) I would not hesitate to get a setup and try them.

I love my Fournier cards, but my players prefer Bicycle Prestige. Both great cards but the Bicycle cards are 1/2 the price!

For $10.06 per set up and free shipping I don’t know of a better deal! They don’t come in a hard case is all. But are still new in wrapper.

https://www.amazon.com/Bicycle-Pres...rd_wg=3Ollu&psc=1&refRID=4X2X5Z390AR6YDW95VV0

Here are the cases they should come in http://www.kemcards.net/kem-card-stroage/us-storage-box-narrow-size

I bought some of these and store them in an old Copag case since I had to throw those cards out due to color bleeding.

These Cartamundi CCPs are close to Gemaco Superflex in feel with better looks and dirt cheap. Not as nearly as flexible as their Acetates but for $8.50 they are very nice.
https://www.amazon.com/Cartamundi-100-Plastic-Setup-Standard/dp/B06Y3F8CST

FOURNIER . . .

\thread.

Sorry . . . reread OP and saw that he also asked for reasons "why"? So here goes . . .

Because . . . FOURNIER.

Do you have any new setups you would part with? I would like to try these out. I am interested in Jumbo index...ok with poker or bridge.

I’ve been pretty happy with both Guild and Modiano, but as others have said, hesitate to recommend Modiano anymore due to past issues.

Desjgn is very well liked around these parts but I personally am not a fan of the non standard pip designs on 2-10. Im sure fantastic cards and definitely a good company can’t fault their service to this community at all. If they have standard design cards (they probably do and I just haven’t seen them) I would not hesitate to get a setup and try them.

You’ll be happy to know that the newer offerings of Desjgns (except the 7) have standard pips in Classic Flourish, Classic Victorian, and the soon to arrive in June, Classic Baroque.

You’ll be happy to know that the newer offerings of Desjgns (except the 7) have standard pips in Classic Flourish, Classic Victorian, and the soon to arrive in June, Classic Baroque.

Will there be a reprint of the Classic Culture? I would love some red and blue decks.

Great news on the Classic Baroque! Would love to see them in standard index one day :whistle: :whistling:

I would sooner sell you my Modianos . . . which should tell you something. Where you located?
Near Vancouver BC Canada

I have Kem Arrows and Desjgn but always cool to try different options.

Large index rules when you play with older folks.

I rotate between a wide selection of set ups. In part because of security, in part just because I can.

Desjgn cards are my favorite. Piatnik cards are perhaps the favorite with my players.

Never ever paper cards. Yes they are cheaper, but easy to mark, easy to damage with short lifespans no matter what.

Card setups are not that expensive in the USA. No reason not to try a selection over a year and see what you like best.

DrStrange

Thanks for setting me straight on the standard pips. Do you have pictures of the 2-10 cards for any of these available online? I looked at your website but I don’t think they are shown there.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom