What "mediums of exchange" do you take at your home game? (1 Viewer)

How do you take money at your game?

• Cash ony

Votes: 57 44.2%
  • Cash and Electronic (Venmo, Paypal, etc.)

Votes: 69 53.5%
  • Electronic Only

Votes: 3 2.3%

• Total voters
I didn't see "go on the plate" as an option, so I just went with the cash and electronic option.

We use a paper plate as a ledger; and as a form of shaming. Getting your ass whooped and out of money, "would you like to go on the plate?" Only done for extremely credible friends, and the agreement is between the loser (on the plate) and the big winner; not the house. At the end of the night, plate boy will owe the big winner $X, and they typically settle up electronically either that night or in the near future.
I like this. I’ve loaned late night money before that was never acknowledged afterwards. Not a big deal, I still eat, but something like this might stave off future disappointment and disagreements.

Most of the local games I've been to recently assumes you're good for your debts.
I find that the vast majority of people are good for their debts. Particularly if the plan is to settle up immediately after the game.

But man, when people aren't, their behavior boils my blood.

If I could safely let people play on the finger 99 times out of 100, but the 100th time is going to be some man-child who lies to my face and makes himself unreachable for weeks over $60, I'd rather never let anyone play on the finger for the rest of my life (which is why I don't).

1693332581389.png

I will take some venmo and immediately make up the box with cash if needed, but fundamentally, that keeps it a cash only game.

I like this. I’ve loaned late night money before that was never acknowledged afterwards. Not a big deal, I still eat, but something like this might stave off future disappointment and disagreements.
It works great! You will likely notice a high correlation between the plate and alcohol intake. The later definitely creates memory loss, so I just text the the two parties (plate boy and the winner) "reminding" plate boy who he owes and how much. The best part is that I don't have to text myself. I just walk downstairs and I know how drunk I was...LOL.

I'd still eat too, but I'd probably never talk to the person again.

Our game was taking both, but there was a cutoff, for Venmo/PayPal/etc. to give time to go to the bank to get cash. Now, I guess you could look at doing electronic payouts as well, and that would make a difference.

If I could safely let people play on the finger 99 times out of 100, but the 100th time is going to be some man-child who lies to my face and makes himself unreachable for weeks over $60, I'd rather never let anyone play on the finger for the rest of my life (which is why I don't).
This used to be a problem in the past with credit involved. However, it's 2023; you're expected to have access to your checking account(s) for instant transfers via Venmo, Zelle, or whatever.

I played in a big (for me) home game a few times that used this app: https://settleking.com/. Buy-ins were Venmo to the host and then the app used to settle up the next day. It worked well, the host basically says player A is to send X amount to player B and it is up to the players to make payment however they want and then notify the host through the app.

This used to be a problem in the past with credit involved. However, it's 2023; you're expected to have access to your checking account(s) for instant transfers via Venmo, Zelle, or whatever.
"Expected" is the key word here. And most people do live up to that expectation, to be fair.

But the ones who don't live up to it can be infuriating, and it's usually because they're playing with money they don't have or they think they can get away with playing games with the lender.

View attachment 1187658

I will take some venmo and immediately make up the box with cash if needed, but fundamentally, that keeps it a cash only game.

Exactly, when I get an electronic payment I put that in the cash box out of my own roll. All chips are backed by the cash box, all payouts are cash. If I were to run out of cash (hasn't happened before) I'd make them venmo another player or go hit an atm

It’s funny, I use cards or mobile payment for almost everything in my day-to-day, but I much prefer to deal in cash when running my home games (though I’ll take mobile payments when needed).

It’s funny, I use cards or mobile payment for almost everything in my day-to-day, but I much prefer to deal in cash when running my home games (though I’ll take mobile payments when needed).
Oddly, when I started playing poker, I think it caused me to use my card more on day-to-day stuff just to save me from having to make an ATM trip before the game :). I have $100 in my pocket for the game after work, I don't want to break a $20 so I'm charging lunch, sort of thinking, I guess.

I find that the vast majority of people are good for their debts. Particularly if the plan is to settle up immediately after the game.

But man, when people aren't, their behavior boils my blood.

Yeah credit is easy and usually works, but it can lead to issues for sure.

I ran a game in Iraq where I took credit, because cash was a pain in the ass to get on base. The markers went to the biggest winner for the night and usually got redeemed by venmo right after we broke, maybe morning after.

Had one player rotate out with a decent sized tab outstanding. He did make good eventually but it was months later!

No credit in my house! I don't want the drama

It works great! You will likely notice a high correlation between the plate and alcohol intake. The later definitely creates memory loss, so I just text the the two parties (plate boy and the winner) "reminding" plate boy who he owes and how much. The best part is that I don't have to text myself. I just walk downstairs and I know how drunk I was...LOL.

This is another bonus of Venmo as the end of the night can be at various stages of sobriety and hard to remember. :LOL: :laugh: Good to have a record for the next morning.

I played in a big (for me) home game a few times that used this app: https://settleking.com/. Buy-ins were Venmo to the host and then the app used to settle up the next day. It worked well, the host basically says player A is to send X amount to player B and it is up to the players to make payment however they want and then notify the host through the app.
Thanks for sharing. That’s an intriguing solution. I am less and less comfortable using pay pal.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - the only thing better than walking out of a poker game with a huge wad of cash in your pocket is waking up the next morning and counting it again. You generation zero electronic dopes don't know what you're missing.

This is both hilarious and 100% spot on.
Hmm.. I thought that I was the only one who liked to recount the cash wad before breakfast. :D

I've built a poker specific version of SettleKing. Here's a TikTok video demonstrating how it works for live games.

PokerChipForum thread: https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/building-poker-tools-in-san-francisco.96784/#post-2007578

Our friends settle via venmo but if someone wants to bring cash, they're free to pay out in cash and I just mark it in the app.
I've said it before and I'll say it again - the only thing better than walking out of a poker game with a huge wad of cash in your pocket is waking up the next morning and counting it again. You generation zero electronic dopes don't know what you're missing.
Funnily enough, there's a lot of GenZ on how they don't think that cash is "real money" since it doesn't go into their budget trackers, etc that all link with their electronic accounts.

Completely agree. Although...I have one that might be slightly better.

My drunk ass buddy Gunny (see pic below), calls me the day after we played at his house asking me how much he owes and who he owes it to.

Gunny: "I think I owe around $1200, but can't remember who I owe It to."

Me: F off you piece of shit!! You took $400 off me and you were up $1200 for the night.

Needless to say, going from who "do I owe $1200 to" to "damn...who owes me" is pretty awesome I imagine :)

A few peeps, @grebe , @FordPickup92 , @Lil Tuna, @Ben8257 , @Eazy can attest to the foolishness my retired Marine compadre brings to the game.

This appears to be one of his drunk, dumb luck nights...LOL
20210116_221243.jpg

First buy in cash, venmo available for further buy ins.

If Venmo sent, i put the cash into the box from my bankroll and all payouts are done in cash.
Cash for chips.

I, and others, will take Venmo/PayPal for rebuys, but cash always goes into the bank bag.

When I'm out of cash, players will Venmo each other and give me cash for chips.

I voted both because of this, but it's cash for chips at WCPR.
we mainly do cash only, and most of the time if someone doesn't have the cash they venmo someone who does and the cash goes in the bank.
This is the way.

I often take Venmo/Cashapp/etc. from players and give them cash from my pocket, but the bank is cash in cash out only. I don't extend credit to anyone, not even my mother.

I have a feeling there is a significant generational leaning one way or the other.
I'm in my 50s, and I pay for way more crap with my phone these days than I do with cash.

For me it's mainly about not wanting to leave a paper trail for an activity that is ignored by law enforcement here but still technically illegal. Also, I don't want to lose money or access because somebody at Venmo decides that 15 transactions on a Saturday night looks squirrely and locks my account.

Completely agree. Although...I have one that might be slightly better.

My drunk ass buddy Gunny (see pic below), calls me the day after we played at his house asking me how much he owes and who he owes it to.

Gunny: "I think I owe around $1200, but can't remember who I owe It to."

Me: F off you piece of shit!! You took $400 off me and you were up $1200 for the night.

Needless to say, going from who "do I owe $1200 to" to "damn...who owes me" is pretty awesome I imagine :)

First time I went to @Seeking Alpha Social Club , I heard someone utter the phrase, "put me on the plate for a hundred". I thought what the hell? I thought I had heard about every poker phrase it there. Wonder what that means?

It means that Kevin grabs a fucking sharpie and writes it on the back of a Dogdamn paper plate..."Gunny $100.". And so it goes thru the night, that paper plate fills up.

This is not for the feint of heart, people. But that's how @Seeking Alpha Social Club rolls! Never a bad game at Kevin's place!

First time I went to @Seeking Alpha Social Club , I heard someone utter the phrase, "put me on the plate for a hundred". I thought what the hell? I thought I had heard about every poker phrase it there. Wonder what that means?

It means that Kevin grabs a fucking sharpie and writes it on the back of a Dogdamn paper plate..."Gunny $100.". And so it goes thru the night, that paper plate fills up.

This is not for the feint of heart, people. But that's how @Seeking Alpha Social Club rolls! Never a bad game at Kevin's place!

Love it! One day I need to get “on the plate” :D

I voted cash only. I took Venmo once in extremis, but I really prefer not to. I don’t want a ton of large cash transactions every time I host (this is a 2/5 game so we’re not talking bar pizza numbers).

I urge regs to bring the cash they need. There is usually at least 1-2 players with big rolls willing to act as the ATM if necessary once in a while, which spreads the few transactions around.

But I really prefer an all-cash game. To me cash is part of the culture of the game. I also think electronic payments sometimes lead to people overspending, which is bad for the health of the game longterm.

Last edited:
To me cash is part of the culture of the game.
As true as all the detailed reasons are, this is the heart of it for me.

I know it's heresy on Poker Chip Forum, and it's definitely not best practice, but I don't even mind playing with straight-up cash piled up on the table.

Poker is about winning and losing cash for me, not nudging digits up and down on some app. I know both are money, but it doesn't feel the same at all.

As true as all the detailed reasons are, this is the heart of it for me.

I know it's heresy on Poker Chip Forum, and it's definitely not best practice, but I don't even mind playing with straight-up cash piled up on the table.

Poker is about winning and losing cash for me, not nudging digits up and down on some app. I know both are money, but it doesn't feel the same at all.
I am definitely fond of a cash game in which I used to play in college some 20 years ago where we did quarter ante 15 limit and played with cash. Everyone brought a roll of quarters and small bills to play. I would love to have the chance to play in that game again.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom