Building Poker Tools in San Francisco (1 Viewer)

edwardstarcraft

High Hand
Reaction score
Hi PCF,

I'm Edward and I'm a software engineer based in San Francisco. I love playing poker games with friends and have been building poker tools for our group and have started releasing some to the public.

Right now I'm working on a poker tools app. I believe the best thing you can do as a poker player is to track your sessions. This lets you know (1) if you're a winning player, and (2) see where you're winning and losing. But many tracking apps out there are super complex, outdated, or charge for a very basic set of features.

The app I'm building makes tracking your session really fast and easy, with simple graphs and summaries to figure out what games you're doing well at.

You can import your sessions from Poker Income, Poker Bankroll Tracker, and Poker Analytics 6 so you can give it a quick try and see how it works.

In the spirit of shipping early and fast, it's now in the app store. Would appreciate you giving it a try and giving me your thoughts!

Download on App Store or Google Play

I'm also working on a hosting tool for home games, to make tracking buyins, calculate cashouts, etc a lot easier. Will keep you posted!

x7i0xuq6psv91.png copy.png

Looking forward to checking it out. Thanks for sharing.

On a separate note, have you had any feedback on your regroup app for managing poker night invites?

Last edited:
Looking forward to checking it out. Thanks for sharing.

On a separate note, have you had any feedback on your regroup app for managing poker night invite management?
Yeah, people use it all the time for poker! I originally built it because of the challenges I had for inviting people to games. All you have to do is send people a link, and when they accept they'll get updates via text message, plus can add to their calendar.

Just a quick tip -- sometimes cell carriers will block text messages with "poker" in them, so I suggest naming your event "game" or "cards" or something so the texts go through.

“Not available in your region”
Sorry :( It shares a bunch of code with the events app which has a lot of US/CAN specific customizations. But as I get more users I'll work on releasing in more regions!

@Ethan quick update on the organizing tools, I just published a major update that allows you to track buy-ins, payments, and calculate cashouts for a game you're hosting.

1668199659955.png

Working on allowing players to join the game via a link / QR code and then get notifications & see their current buy-ins.

Yeah, people use it all the time for poker! I originally built it because of the challenges I had for inviting people to games. All you have to do is send people a link, and when they accept they'll get updates via text message, plus can add to their calendar.
I'm interested in using the Regroup app for events tracking. I've been trying to find a good app for this (mainly just RSVPs) for a while now and they all have some glaring issue or cost a ton. Currently using Hobnob but it's been less than stellar for more than one reason. I just want something that will text people the RSVP link with the info (and let them respond via text), but also point them to a basic webpage with further info, etc.

It doesn't look like Regroup charges any fees/plan for the texting service. Is that correct?

Just a quick tip -- sometimes cell carriers will block text messages with "poker" in them, so I suggest naming your event "game" or "cards" or something so the texts go through.
Also curious about this... I haven't heard that anywhere else. Is this confirmed? And how do you know when it occurs?

I'm interested in using the Regroup app for events tracking. I've been trying to find a good app for this (mainly just RSVPs) for a while now and they all have some glaring issue or cost a ton. Currently using Hobnob but it's been less than stellar for more than one reason. I just want something that will text people the RSVP link with the info (and let them respond via text), but also point them to a basic webpage with further info, etc.

It doesn't look like Regroup charges any fees/plan for the texting service. Is that correct?

Also curious about this... I haven't heard that anywhere else. Is this confirmed? And how do you know when it occurs?
Thanks, that's correct! The idea is that regulars will end up downloading the app and so the costs are easy to justify as a "marketing" cost.

And yeah -- TMobile is the worst offender of the cell carriers. They were blocking lichess links for a while too. There's no way to know when this occurs, which sucks. The texts just go into a blackhole.

Sometimes when people request new variants I can't tell if they're trolling or serious... :D
Ha! Just give the people a text field so we can enter arbitrary whatever games. This app is dope, if it can support the circus I'm in for a paid version.

Ha! Just give the people a text field so we can enter arbitrary whatever games. This app is dope, if it can support the circus I'm in for a paid version.
Oh, you're talking about the session tracker? Thought you were commenting on the equity calculator.

Yep, I definitely have some improvements on my list for the session tracker. This one is high up on the list!

On a separate note, have you had any feedback on your regroup app for managing poker night invites?
I’d love to hear more about that. I created Invite Tracker (see Resources) for this purpose, but I’d love to check out something more polished.

Incidentally I’m running into the same problem with dropped texts. I never considered that it could be related to the content. I’m going to try removing all references to poker from the texts.

I’d love to hear more about that. I created Invite Tracker (see Resources) for this purpose, but I’d love to check out something more polished.

Incidentally I’m running into the same problem with dropped texts. I never considered that it could be related to the content. I’m going to try removing all references to poker from the texts.
Happy to chat! Feel free to DM. They're referring to a different app btw, if you're looking for it. https://regroup.app

I haven't updated it in a while, but still works well for activity invites.

Update itttttt

We just started using it for tracking all of our events, 6-10 a month, and I want it to be the best lol

I’ve been taking notes and will probably have bunch of feedback/questions if you’re up for them.

Update itttttt

We just started using it for tracking all of our events, 6-10 a month, and I want it to be the best lol
Thanks! I still would like to update it, but it was hard to grow the user base and the VC market is not doing as well lately so I decided to focus on building out this poker app instead. They share the same infrastructure so I'm keeping both of them up as many people I know still heavily use the events app.

I'll probably integrate some of the events features into Poker Tools but there are so many competing priorities right now I'm not sure how high up on the list it is.

Happy to chat! Feel free to DM. They're referring to a different app btw, if you're looking for it. https://regroup.app

I haven't updated it in a while, but still works well for activity invites.
Thanks, I just downloaded it and will give it a look. Is there an option to send invitations via email also? The reliability of texting worries me. If invitees don't have the app, can they still RSVP and see who is going?

Thanks, I just downloaded it and will give it a look. Is there an option to send invitations via email also? The reliability of texting worries me. If invitees don't have the app, can they still RSVP and see who is going?
The idea is that you only need to send people a link for the invite. Many people use Regroup App alongside a chat group or email list they already have.

They don't need the app to RSVP. They can add their email to get calendar invites and invites via email, otherwise they'll get texts. If they have the app it works even better.

It works really well for recurring activity invites -- whenever I send out an invite my games fill within a few minutes now.
Can I import sessions from my old app (Run Good) into here pretty easily?
Yes! It's not advertised but I added support for importing RunGood sessions a while ago.

I don't have RunGood since it's not on the App Store anymore (so probably a good reason to move off), so I haven't been able to test it myself. Let me know if there are any issues.

The idea is that you only need to send people a link for the invite. Many people use Regroup App alongside a chat group or email list they already have.

They don't need the app to RSVP. They can add their email to get calendar invites and invites via email, otherwise they'll get texts. If they have the app it works even better.

It works really well for recurring activity invites -- whenever I send out an invite my games fill within a few minutes now.

Yes! It's not advertised but I added support for importing RunGood sessions a while ago.

I don't have RunGood since it's not on the App Store anymore (so probably a good reason to move off), so I haven't been able to test it myself. Let me know if there are any issues.
Will do - I tried to import them into Poker bankroll tracker yesterday and it’s glitchy. Run good has been a great app for so many years but yeah it’s dead now so a lot of people moving years of data off of there as we speak.

I like it but I can’t figure out how to delete a game. I created it to test /play with but don’t want it anymore. Is there a faq?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom