What "mediums of exchange" do you take at your home game? (1 Viewer)

How do you take money at your game?

• Cash ony

Votes: 57 44.2%
  • Cash and Electronic (Venmo, Paypal, etc.)

Votes: 69 53.5%
  • Electronic Only

Votes: 3 2.3%

• Total voters

MeridianFC

Flush
Reaction score
Seeing discussion elsewhere had me wondering the breakdown of how folks here handle the financial end. Pick a poll option. If you take both but it's different depending on situation, ring game vs. tournament for instance, note that in a comment.

In addition note in a comment if you have any unusual options (you take checks, you offer credit, you barter, accept securities, etc.).

Being an old fogey, I would've assumed that cash was king, but I'm now I'm not so sure.

Interesting that there's a lot of people who use electronic and cash and so far no one has voted for just electronic. I haven't done any hosting yet, but it seems like doing everything in one format would be the easiest way to keep the bank clean.

Interesting that there's a lot of people who use electronic and cash and so far no one has voted for just electronic. I haven't done any hosting yet, but it seems like doing everything in one format would be the easiest way to keep the bank clean.
I usually send my wife a venmo request for that amount with a nickname or initials for whoever gave me cash. If I sent it as a payment I'd never see it again.

You're right, cleaner one way or the other but always good to have cash.

My game will have nights that are entirely electronic, but I voted both because I do take cash, and that is how a rare few players prefer to pay. Our player age range is 21-35, and electronic is definitely the default / most common form of payment.

I always prefer cash to keep one easy bank. What usually ends up happening is people rebuy for more cash than they brought and I end up having to manage cash and venmo. A few nights here and there I end up managing cash, venmo and zelle and those are the nights where I will bitch people out because its just too much work and its also not fair for me to have to use all my cash to even out the electronic buyins as I have folks at my games who only want cash back. So if the electronic guys go bust and leave, it can create issue.

My game will have nights that are entirely electronic, but I voted both because I do take cash, and that is how a rare few players prefer to pay. Our player age range is 21-35, and electronic is definitely the default / most common form of payment.
I have a feeling there is a significant generational leaning one way or the other.

I have a feeling there is a significant generational leaning one way or the other.

I strongly agree that’s incredibly likely, which is why I included the age range. Honestly, other than people that work for tips, there are only two reasons anyone young I know has cash… and one of them is poker.

I used to manage a Venmo settle-up for my online club, i.e., match up wins and losses as best I could, and have all the players pay each other. That way I didn't have to eat all the transactions myself. I only did it that way because it was online.

Live, it's cash and cash only. We reconcile everything at the end of the game, and it's a closed book.

I don't do e-payments at all for live games because TBH I think it's a mistake to move money back and forth over apps for poker. The apps don't actually allow it, and if you get caught it can lock up all your money and cause problems. This is not to even mention that it may create nastiness for you to resolve come tax time.

Venmo for our .25/.50. Makes the end of the night easier and doubles as a ledger. If I did anything bigger than like 1/1 I’d probably switch to cash.
Same here– our group does Venmo or Zelle (younger folks) for a small game. I'm averse to cash and everyone expects to be paid out electronically. That said, for either a bigger game or if it wasn't a close group of friends, I'd probably consider switching to cash for least the initial BI.

Wait 'til the Swedes turn up... @Eriks you haven't seen cash money since 2015? Right?

I request cash only, but if people need to go beyond what they have on them, I'm happy with Revolut or whatever, saves them a walk to the cashpoint, they might suddenly realise how much they are in for if they do that!

Pretty sure that I fall on the cusp of the generational break (I'm 40).

I have some friends my age who do not carry cash, at all, period, and they get annoyed when they have to deal with cash. All cards and apps.

I also have some friends my age who deal in cash only, and friends older than me skew heavily in this direction.

Cash for chips.

I, and others, will take Venmo/PayPal for rebuys, but cash always goes into the bank bag.

When I'm out of cash, players will Venmo each other and give me cash for chips.

I voted both because of this, but it's cash for chips at WCPR.
This is acceptable to me. Don't care if people want to Venmo or whatever amongst each other, but the bank is cash, and no chips come out unless cash goes in.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - the only thing better than walking out of a poker game with a huge wad of cash in your pocket is waking up the next morning and counting it again. You generation zero electronic dopes don't know what you're missing.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - the only thing better than walking out of a poker game with a huge wad of cash in your pocket is waking up the next morning and counting it again. You generation zero electronic dopes don't know what you're missing.
And not waking up to your PayPal and all the money in it being frozen because someone put the word "gambling" in the notes when he settled up.

And not getting a damn 1099 from Venmo for money that wasn't even income for you.

Cash for chips.

I, and others, will take Venmo/PayPal for rebuys, but cash always goes into the bank bag.

When I'm out of cash, players will Venmo each other and give me cash for chips.

I voted both because of this, but it's cash for chips at WCPR.
^^^ this

There are so many different e-payment apps and everyone seems to be suspicious of one vs the other for X random reason, I'd never be able to keep up if I had to do all e-pay.

I didn't see "go on the plate" as an option, so I just went with the cash and electronic option.

We use a paper plate as a ledger; and as a form of shaming. Getting your ass whooped and out of money, "would you like to go on the plate?" Only done for extremely credible friends, and the agreement is between the loser (on the plate) and the big winner; not the house. At the end of the night, plate boy will owe the big winner $X, and they typically settle up electronically either that night or in the near future.

Wait 'til the Swedes turn up... @Eriks you haven't seen cash money since 2015? Right?

I request cash only, but if people need to go beyond what they have on them, I'm happy with Revolut or whatever, saves them a walk to the cashpoint, they might suddenly realise how much they are in for if they do that!
Someone turned up here to buy our son’s old bike this past weekend. Paid in cash, freaked us out. He wasn’t a native Swede, so that explained it. Will probably still have that cash a year from now.

we mainly do cash only, and most of the time if someone doesn't have the cash they venmo someone who does and the cash goes in the bank.

That being said, we've done electronic-only before and it works fine. Venmo the host and they give you the chips. That way there's no collecting after the fact.

Plus, my wife can't raid my wallet when I'm sleeping

Cash for buyins, cash for payouts....... If someone (including me) is feeling generous they can take an e-payment from someone for cash to purchase chips from the bank, but the bank is always cash in, cash out, no e-paper trail for gambool.

I honestly can't think of a worse feeling than a winning session but walking out without a cash wad.

This here is why despite the fact that I take Venmo for buy ins, pay outs are in cash after I add the buy ins to the box from my cash fund.

The fact I can payout somebody who is a rec player with $400 hard cash when they win is an exhilarating feeling for them that keeps players coming back... cannot be underestimated the value it adds to keeping your game going amongst the more casual in your group.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom