What is your opinion about four-color decks? (2 Viewers)

Well I know red-green can be a big problem for many colour - blind people. There are decks with dark yellow/gold as one of the options, probably to enhance contrast. I would also be good with a red black blue white (an outline).
I wonder if anybody has done coloured decks where the entire background is different for each suit?

Long run ok. Don't even realize they are four colors any more. So no benefit necessarily either. But,. At first it was very tilting for the players.

Everyone in my group loves them! No complaints from the first night i brought them out, i went back to two color last week and everyone was asking where the 4 colors were!

My desjgn cards have turned up today. I’ll let you know what carnage ensues when I use them in a couple of weeks :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

A4E8183B-1D68-4C16-95E6-E66802E6E910.jpeg

My desjgn cards have turned up today. I’ll let you know what carnage ensues when I use them in a couple of weeks :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 421097
Tell the barbarian populace (the "Demos" in your or any country, anyway, since ancient times) that their rule (Democracy) ends just outside your doorstep, and no bullshit will be tolerated beyond that (ie in your own home).
I 've lost friends doing this, but I don't regret it.

Tell the barbarian populace (the "Demos" in your or any country, anyway, since ancient times) that their rule (Democracy) ends just outside your doorstep, and no bullshit will be tolerated beyond that (ie in your own home).
I 've lost friends doing this, but I don't regret it.
If Demos is Greek for pricks then I agree with you :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

If Demos is Greek for pricks then I agree with you :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
"Demos" was actually used (in ancient Greek) to describe the lower 90-95% of the people, while "Laos" meant 100% of them.
So, Democracy was NOT the rule of everybody, but rather the one of complex-ridden lower classes.
But, it became an inevitable reality because of the accute necessity for an Infantry, which was extremely labour-intensive, as opposed to the capital-intensive, aristocratic Cavalry.
If people contributed blood (including their own lives) and sweat (taxes), they couldn't be excluded from being fellow-governors (each one of them), however stupid, uneducated or complex-ridden.

In modern Greek, "Demos" has ended up meaning "municipality" which, of course, is a lot more pathetic than the original :rolleyes:
:D

"Demos" was actually used (in ancient Greek) to describe the lower 90-95% of the people, while "Laos" meant 100% of them.
So, Democracy was NOT the rule of everybody, but rather the one of complex-ridden lower classes.
But, it became an inevitable reality because of the accute necessity for an Infantry, which was extremely labour-intensive, as opposed to the capital-intensive, aristocratic Cavalry.
If people contributed blood (including their own lives) and sweat (taxes), they couldn't be excluded from being fellow-governors (each one of them), however stupid, uneducated or complex-ridden.

In modern Greek, "Demos" has ended up meaning "municipality" which, of course, is a lot more pathetic than the original :rolleyes:
:D
In Scotland we just knocked the shite out of each other and the last one standing got to be king :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

In Scotland we just knocked the shite out of each other and the last one standing got to be king :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
Sounds a lot more Spartan than Athenian.:LOL: :laugh:
Sparta's primitive system of separation of powers provided for TWO Kings.
If they disagreed among them, they called for the People's (i.e. the Soldiers') opinion, which was NOT registered through counting votes, but rather through shouting (the loudest-shouting party would prevail). They won against Athens. :D

They make me feel like I’m way farther from hitting a flush with 4 colors instead of 2 lol but def looks good when you do. Yes while kind of a gimmick , it does serve a purpose for those with bad sight or far away to see each suit more distinctly. I do love the Desjgn 4 color deck.

I just picked up the Copag ones, so we'll see how it goes over with the home game group. I do think they're a good change of pace from just the standard coloring.

I hope it's ok that I'm responding to an older thread, but I just saw these on Spinetti's - I kind of like them better than adding two additional colors for suits. Thoughts? Anyone played with them?

1633718722297.png

4-color decks are the invevitable future.
The thing is to seek for very light greens for the clubs and very light blues for the diamonds; they could be confused for other suits when peeping.

4-color decks are the invevitable future.
The thing is to seek for very light greens for the clubs and very light blues for the diamonds; they could be confused for other suits when peeping.
Dude they have been saying this for 20 years.

Im all for them but have yet to find a 4 colour deck i like. The blues and greens are never "bold/deep" enough like the red and black is so have moved on then. The blue and greens used are too light for my liking, would love to see more of an emerald green and rubber like blue.

If anyone knows of a 4 colour deck in bridge jumbo index that matches that description let me know.

The idea is exactly to have very light-colored green Clubs and very light-colored blue Diamonds.
To avoid confusion when peeping hole cards (which inevitably means poor lighting).

That’s a nope from me. The blue diamond reads like black. Not exactly mistaking it for spades but the brain sees what it wants.

My man, have you tried the Designs?
They 're on your Continent after all.
Their 4 colors are just excellent.
Oh yes, @inca911 was kind enough to provide me a set. Two color version though.

But that wasn't the point. The point is the four color deck has had advocates for decades and no real traction in live poker.

Calling a switch "inevitable" is pretty much ludicrous.

Call me a curmudgeon, don't like them at all when I have cards in hand.

With 60 years of mental training that playing card suits are Red & Black, playing with a 4 color deck sends totally confusing signals to my brain and leaves me wanting to scream things like "Skip" & "Take Four". Goes against all my mental muscle memory and makes it difficult to focus as my brain is working harder to decode those weird Blue & Green card in my hand. As bad as my eyes are I can still spot the difference between the Club & Spade suit shapes on a regular size card I don't need some odd colors to help me with that.

I will say they are somewhat helpful on a small computer screen as normally the Club & Spade suit shape almost totally disappear on those tiny cards at that small a resolution on a monitor.

I like them but most of my friends do not....
I thought that people playing online will be more prone to use them....

I still advocate for a 4-color deck where the diamonds are res, but with a blue "glow" around the diamond, and a black club with a green glow.

I think it would be the best of both worlds, but I have no idea how to get them made.

Copags have a great green and they play great.

Not sure why desjgn went with such low saturation

Yet to play with faded spade

The only thing about 4 color decks that sucks right now is that you can't get decent plastic cards because barely anyone makes them. All out there that I found so far are super stiff and slippery (inb4 OOC thread)
If Fournier made some, I probably would not use any others again.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom