What is your opinion about four-color decks? (1 Viewer)

I guess if so many people dislike the 4-color decks they've used, they won't be getting much use.

PM me and I'll pay you for shipping, and you won't have them mocking you on your shelf. :sneaky:

I do not like them. At all.
1651861417442.png

I was around when they were introduced and the games where i live (multiple) about 80-90% hated them. I have had people in our current game introduce them again recently thinking they would be good - again not liked at all. Also we have some colorblind players and they like them even less. Seems like a great idea …. But most players hate them.

I was considering getting a 4 color deck because one of my players is colorblind and I thought this might make things easier for him. Am I to understand that it wouldn't?

I was considering getting a 4 color deck because one of my players is colorblind and I thought this might make things easier for him. Am I to understand that it wouldn't?
I think it depends on their type of color blindness. Some have difficulty with red vs. black. Others don't, but have difficulty with other parts of the spectrum.

Pros - they're very easy to use in low light or when players have poor sight. No more "oh damn I though I had a flush" moments. They're gimmicky, if you want something different.

Cons - they're gimmicky, if that matters to you. And going from coloured cards back to standard, makes it slightly harder to differentiate spades and clubs, diamonds and hearts (though only marginally, of course).

If he is colour blindness to the degree that he having issue with black and red

4 colour black red green and blue is not going to help.

Ultra Jumbo pip however will most likely to be more helpful

1666536222766.jpeg

Last edited:

Colour blindness is not a reason to get a 4-colour deck - in fact, it may make things worse. Typical 4-colour decks are black/red/green/cyan and there is one type of colour blindness that would make the red/green/cyan all look like shades of green. There is a reason why black/red has been the standard for a long long time - it's probably the optimal solution.

I dont know anything about colorblindness or color confusion but the guys in our most recent reintroduction to them were the ones that liked them the least…i think they see a lot of colors in shades of gray so instead of making it better it just created more and different shades of gray. Again i can only talk from our game and indo remember original intor to 4 colorbwas either in 80s or early 90s butultiple games tried them but it seems to just add a lot more color and for some reason people didnt like it. I can go either way with them but i prefer the red and black but do t know why

I dont know anything about colorblindness or color confusion but the guys in our most recent reintroduction to them were the ones that liked them the least…i think they see a lot of colors in shades of gray so instead of making it better it just created more and different shades of gray. Again i can only talk from our game and indo remember original intor to 4 colorbwas either in 80s or early 90s butultiple games tried them but it seems to just add a lot more color and for some reason people didnt like it. I can go either way with them but i prefer the red and black but do t know why
As a color blind person, it's not shades of gray. It's that certain parts of the spectrum blend/don't have differentiation. Google an ishihara test if you want to learn more about it. for me, blacks and reds blend, brighter yellows and greens, and blues and purples.

As a color blind person, it's not shades of gray. It's that certain parts of the spectrum blend/don't have differentiation. Google an ishihara test if you want to learn more about it. for me, blacks and reds blend, brighter yellows and greens, and blues and purples.
Thanks - i dont really know myself but it seemed to “bug” the two guys in our game that have some colorblindness. Thanks for explaining.

mr cat pants: what do you think of the 4 color decks - would be interesting yo know your opinion good or bad and might help others with their games

mr cat pants: what do you think of the 4 color decks - would be interesting yo know your opinion good or bad and might help others with their games
There are many variations of color blindness so I can only speak for myself. The only decks I have trouble with are the ones where the pips are stylish and hard to discern at a distance and where the red color is a really deep/dark red. No need for 4 color in my opinion.

4 color usually comes with large numbers/letters too. It's not for color blindness as much as it is for poor vision overall.

Pros - they're very easy to use in low light or when players have poor sight. No more "oh damn I though I had a flush" moments. They're gimmicky, if you want something different.

Cons - they're gimmicky, if that matters to you. And going from coloured cards back to standard, makes it slightly harder to differentiate spades and clubs, diamonds and hearts (though only marginally, of course).

I played on Friday night with my own 4 colour deck and missed the fact that there *four* green clubs on the board, and lost to a higher flush.

So in hindsight, I'd like to change my opinion to "they're rubbish and they should make the suits easier to distinguish."

Fuckers.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom