Tourney What is the rule for moving players in MTT? (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I organized a MTT last week and my rationale when balancing tables was to move the player after the BB to the table where players were needed (we had 3 tables in total) and put him in the same position (UTG). Some players were ranting about that and suggested to move player according to the stack rather than the position... what is the actual rule here? For example, how does the WSOP does this?

Thanks!

Haven't looked at the video above, but the way I've understood is that you move the player that would have been the BB in the next hand to the seat that will soonest become the BB among the available seats. E.g., if seat 3 on the target table is the current BB and seats 4, 5, and 7 are taken but 6 and 8 are free, then the players moves to seat 6.

11: Balancing Tables and Halting Play

A: To balance in flop and mixed-games, the player to be big blind next moves to the worst position, including single big blind if available, even if that means the seat is big blind twice. Worst position is never the small blind. In stud-only, players move by position (last seat open at the short table is the seat filled).

A: To balance in flop and mixed-games, the player to be big blind next moves to the worst position, including single big blind if available, even if that means the seat is big blind twice. Worst position is never the small blind. In stud-only, players move by position (last seat open at the short table is the seat filled).
didn’t know the stud rule. Interesting.

Trying to figure out what weird scenario would make the seat big blind twice. That’s a puzzle.

so I was right, then? basically I moved the one next to the BB to the same position in the other table.
what about the ranting of the players talking about the stacks, are stacks irrelevant to this rule?

where did you get that info from? I would like to read the entire document.
thanks

so I was right, then? basically I moved the one next to the BB to the same position in the other table.
what about the ranting of the players talking about the stacks, are stacks irrelevant to this rule?
Stacks are irrelevant. Think of it this way…that means the big stack is saddled with having to move every time the tables need balancing? To me, that’s more unfair than any other method I can think of.

Stacks are irrelevant. Think of it this way…that means the big stack is saddled with having to move every time the tables need balancing? To me, that’s more unfair than any other method I can think of.
Also if one table has people busting left and right and if it gets rebalanced by stack then you’re gonna end up with a table full of deep stacks and a table full of short stacks.

I've found @Chris Manzoni 's videos very helpful.
Here's a great one about seating and moving players:
Fantastic video @Chris Manzoni

As an aside, Choctaw, when they ran tourneys, notoriously only balanced at 3 players difference. So 7 and 5…just kept playing. Super annoying to be at the higher variance short handed table. And super unnecessary.

Fantastic video @Chris Manzoni

As an aside, Choctaw, when they ran tourneys, notoriously only balanced at 3 players difference. So 7 and 5…just kept playing. Super annoying to be at the higher variance short handed table. And super unnecessary.
WSOP can be slow to balance in my experience.

In my tourneys, I always the person who is right behind the dealer on the table with more players to the position right behind the dealer on the table with less players. it doesn't appear to be the right way to do it, but its consistent, you are keeping similar position while switching tables.

Haven't looked at the video above, but the way I've understood is that you move the player that would have been the BB in the next hand to the seat that will soonest become the BB among the available seats. E.g., if seat 3 on the target table is the current BB and seats 4, 5, and 7 are taken but 6 and 8 are free, then the players moves to seat 6.
This is the way…..

Trying to figure out what weird scenario would make the seat big blind twice. That’s a puzzle.
I don't think it's actually possible with both a small and big blind. Maybe if using just a single big blind, but even then.... seems avoidable.

I organized a MTT last week and my rationale when balancing tables was to move the player after the BB to the table where players were needed (we had 3 tables in total) and put him in the same position (UTG). Some players were ranting about that and suggested to move player according to the stack rather than the position... what is the actual rule here? For example, how does the WSOP does this?

Thanks!

Do you have more of the chips in your avatar? I’ve got some I’d like to expand on or get rid of if I can’t add more. Also the millions.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom