What HD 3/4 Ton Truck To Buy?!? (2 Viewers)

jskel

Two Pair
Reaction score
Fellow RV’ers and and truck owners. I’ve been truck shopping for a new truck since COVID started. Horrible timing!!! Without any inventory truck prices are through the roof, and used prices are even worse.

Situation: I currently own a 2010 Tundra and am going to upgrade to a 3/4 ton. I have a 26ft travel trailer that weighs about 7500lbs loaded. I have been towing with the tundra for 5 years. It pulls the weight fine, but it isn’t a joy to tow with that rig. One of the main issues is that the water tank sits in the front of the trailer and adds another 350lbs to the already 700lb tongue weight. I’m maxed out on payload and it makes for some hairy situations a couple of the places I go to.

I am sticking with gas. I only tow my RV about 10-15 times a year and the lower cost is a factor. I have towed with diesel trucks and loved it, but can't really justify the cost. The two I like the best are below.

F-250 XLT with 7.3L Godzilla (Pros: Engine, 10 speed transmission. Cons: Expensive, lack of some features in lower trim)
The Ford currently has a $500 rebate and they aren’t budging on price. There are very few available up here in the Northwest so people are paying pretty close to MSRP on them.

Chevy Silverado LT 2500 with 6.6L Gas (Pros: Price, Payload is greater, Leather in lower trims. Cons: 6 speed trans, Less comfortable)
I am a teacher and GM has a sweet program for educators. I would currently get around 6k off MSRP, so I would get a loaded Chevy for the price of a Ford without many options.

I really wanted to like the Ram, but I didn't. The 6.4 is a great engine, but the cab felt cramped, the smaller bed size is an issue as I put a quad in the back from time to time

Anyhow, seeing if you guys that tow or haul with HD gas trucks own either and your thoughts for real world application. I am sure I would happy with either one. Cheers!!

any specific reason why diesel is out of the equation? I’ve got an older duramax, tows really well. Night and day difference from gas truck in my experience

any specific reason why diesel is out of the equation? I’ve got an older duramax, tows really well. Night and day difference from gas truck in my experience
The up front cost is biggest factor. It will also be my daily driver and I don’t have a long commute to work. Maintenance will be easier as well. And only towing about 10 times per year it doesn’t seem worth the expense.

I have towed with diesel, and it is great. Totally agree. And if my trailer was heavier and I towed a lot more I would definitely look into it.

I know you said no diesel but I love my duramax

5LKWxxH.jpg

Chevys have transmission issues. Always have, one of the worst for towing. On another note, I had to google what a 7.3 Godzilla is because they only 7.3 I know of is a diesel.
Anyway, I dont know much about that new thing you posted up there, I still would get a diesel regardless. The tow load toll on a gas engine just isnt the same as what a diesel can take. I had a 7.5l gas engine f250, towed like a charm, but the trans was never as happy as our diesel. The 7.3 powestroke tows everything like it's not even back there. I totally understand the diesel vs gas arguement though, the maintenance is more costly as well as the fuel (in MD anyway)
If you're having your heart set on gas, or those 2 gas trucks above I would do as much online research as possible, find as many reviews from real people on YouTube as you can.

The problem with buying new things, is that someone in the real world hasn't broken it yet, hasnt pushed it's limits, or asked it to do more than it should. So when you get something brand new like that you're essentially testing out a product with an unknown answer if it can withstand your work load. My guess is either will be fine, although I'm still very hesitant on the Chevy.
Not a fan of dodge gas trucks either, but at least they have a better transmission lol

The problem with buying new things, is that someone in the real world hasn't broken it yet, hasnt pushed it's limits, or asked it to do more than it should. So when you get something brand new like that you're essentially testing out a product with an unknown answer if it can withstand your work load.
This is a very good point, and a major reason I choose not to buy brand new vehicles (that, and the initial cost and immediate depreciation is a tough financial pill to swallow).
With that said, and if you’re sticking with a gasser, I’ve owned 2 F150’s. First was a 2006 that I got to 310K miles on original tranny and engine. donated it when it was time to upgrade. Picked up a 2011 f150 and got it up to 179K with no major issues. Gave that one to my dad when I picked up my older Duramax last year. (Needed 10K+ tow capacity) It is still going strong for him as a daily driver and tows a horse trailer. both trucks, with disciplined maintenance, were very good to me, so I have been partial to Ford gas trucks.
Really loved the cab layouts of the Ford, but can’t speak to the superdutys. I presume a lot of parts are similar though.
Best bet is to go test drive them all and choose what is right for you. And make sure it has a good Warranty because as @FordPickup92 said, they really haven’t been put to the test of time yet.

initial cost and immediate depreciation is a tough financial pill to swallow).
I bought my new f150 used for this reason. Got a great deal on a 2016 with 8,000 miles on it.
But I would have to say this was another leading factor for me when I finally decided on a truck. Couldn't see the point (or need) of something brand spanking new when I could get something with less than 10,000 miles on it and 20k less asking price.
Again, +1 for the warranty too

I bought my new f150 used for this reason. Got a great deal on a 2016 with 8,000 miles on it.
But I would have to say this was another leading factor for me when I finally decided on a truck. Couldn't see the point (or need) of something brand spanking new when I could get something with less than 10,000 miles on it and 20k less asking price.
Again, +1 for the warranty too
I wish that was the case. I have 2 friends that bought new trucks, GMC Denali, in 2018 for 60k. Dealer gave them back what they paid and hae them listed for 70k. That stuff is happening everywhere around here. The dealerships are bringing in trucks from Texas and everywhere else on auction with tons of miles on them fir crazy amounts of money. There is definitely a truck shortage and it is inflating the used market big time.

There are a few dealerships that offer a lifetime powertrain warranty and will more than likely be buying from them.

I wish that was the case. I have 2 friends that bought new trucks, GMC Denali, in 2018 for 60k. Dealer gave them back what they paid and hae them listed for 70k. That stuff is happening everywhere around here. The dealerships are bringing in trucks from Texas and everywhere else on auction with tons of miles on them fir crazy amounts of money. There is definitely a truck shortage and it is inflating the used market big time.

There are a few dealerships that offer a lifetime powertrain warranty and will more than likely be buying from them.
Ouch. I bought mine out of state, but only a 45 minute drive. Have you considered this option?

Yes. Looking out 500 miles and a few states. Midwest has the best prices but that’s a ways for a truck.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom