What causes chip warping? (1 Viewer)

BNads86

3 of a Kind
Supporter
Supporter Plus
Reaction score
Come across a few threads lately that mention warped chips. What causes this? I ask because I bought a 1000 chip storage case that stores the chips 5 racks high. Wondered if long term storage stacked like this could cause warping......

Thanks!

Warping is most often caused by heat. Poor storage in an environment that is too hot is not good.

Stacking racks is a contested debate here on PCF. Many claim that they have stored their chips 5-6 racks high for years without issue. A few examples by members have shown small dimples or flat spots (not warping) in the clay barrels from the racks. It seems to be a rare occurrence, however.

I chose to store all my clays in Warneke boxes and ceramics in the new Justin racks from the vendor here, Broken Arrow.
I still like the standard acrylic racks, but choose not to use them for long term storage. Whether it helps or not, I sleep better. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

The postman leaving your package on his dash to cook in the sun all day
That reminds me, especially this time of year and a very hot year indeed…is when you’ve ordered chips, get those packages off your front stoop when they arrive. Leave work early, have a family or friend grab them etc.
Heat is the enemy.

And for storage, get them out of the garage, musty basement, etc.
If you would be uncomfortable for any length of time in that environment, your chips won’t like it either.

Thanks for the info, that's super helpful!

Just looked into the Justin racks - seems like a good idea.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom