What card characteristics are most important to you? Pet peeves? (2 Viewers)

Jake14mw

Flush
Reaction score
Hi all,

When you pick cards to use, what characteristics are most important to you? Are there certain things that just bug you that make a card a no-go for your game?

For me, I think the most important thing is the feel. I don't like slick cards. I prefer a textured feel. The biggest thing that I hate in a deck of cards is when you place them down on the table and they start to slide on each other.

I have no particular preference for flex. I've been all over the map on this. I lean towards liking them a little on the stiffer side, but I like some cards on the more flexible side too. I have always preferred poker size, but I have acquired a number of bridge sized decks I really like, so I may try to switch our group!

I don't like full bleed cards. I don't like the wear that shows on the edges and how it's hard to distinguish the cards from each other in a pile. Jumbo index is required for our aging group. A pet peeve of mine that is a little unusual are jumbo index pips that you have to bend up a lot in order to see the suit. My favorite PIP size by far are the ones on the Ace brand cards. Problem with those is that they are too slick and bendy for me! What are your preferences?

Hi all,

When you pick cards to use, what characteristics are most important to you? Are there certain things that just bug you that make a card a no-go for your game?

For me, I think the most important thing is the feel. I don't like slick cards. I prefer a textured feel. The biggest thing that I hate in a deck of cards is when you place them down on the table and they start to slide on each other.

I have no particular preference for flex. I've been all over the map on this. I lean towards liking them a little on the stiffer side, but I like some cards on the more flexible side too. I have always preferred poker size, but I have acquired a number of bridge sized decks I really like, so I may try to switch our group!

I don't like full bleed cards. I don't like the wear that shows on the edges and how it's hard to distinguish the cards from each other in a pile. Jumbo index is required for our aging group. A pet peeve of mine that is a little unusual are jumbo index pips that you have to bend up a lot in order to see the suit. My favorite PIP size by far are the ones on the Ace brand cards. Problem with those is that they are too slick and bendy for me! What are your preferences?
This. It is why I bought a set up each of Gemaco and Cartamundi cards and haven't bought any more. Unpopular opinion here at least with Gemaco's. but come at me. Slippery, glossy stock is just about an absolute "Do not buy" from me.

I like a little stiffer of a stock too, but not one's that are so stiff that my wrists and fingers are sore the 3rd hour into a self dealt game.

I don't mind full bleed backgrounds if done right.

Another possibly unpopular opinion, no 4 colored decks for me. Looks like a unicorn vomited all over the cards. Too distracting.

Favorites at the moment are Fournier, King, desjgn as my 1A, 1B, and 1C. What I like best depends on the day.

Last edited:
Readability. Namely jumbo index, but also a club and a spade that look very different. I hate a card with a rounded, squat spade. I also would prefer a "4: with an open top, as opposed to the closed top, which to these old eyes looks like an ace.
1594678117300.png

More than once I've bet out pocket aces only to find at showdown that I was holding an Ace with a low kicker. :tdown:

Love everything about the Faded Spade cards, but they are a bit slippery.

To the point I am looking for more, happy to see Desjgn named above.

Firm snap is important, but not slick. Also value 4 color decks over traditional.

Don't like thick cards, don't like stiff cards, don't need them to "snap."
Also, I don't like it when they cut my buddy's finger open (happened with a copag - blood all over - last deck of copags I bought.)
And no security ink red.
I like them thin, flexible, textured, and I like as little top card float as possible.
Basically, the desJgns printed on Modiano stock were perfect, but you know . . .

Readability. Namely jumbo index, but also a club and a spade that look very different. I hate a card with a rounded, squat spade. I also would prefer a "4: with an open top, as opposed to the closed top, which to these old eyes looks like an ace.
View attachment 490823

More than once I've bet out pocket aces only to find at showdown that I was holding an Ace with a low kicker. :tdown:
I don't think I've even see cards with an open 4 like that. Have you?

I also would prefer a "4: with an open top, as opposed to the closed top, which to these old eyes looks like an ace.
View attachment 490823

Oh that would be nice!
I believe I've seen open 4's, but not wide open 4's. Not that I can recall the name.

Texture #1. I hate slippery cards, but too textured/almost sticky is also bad - happy medium.

Medium to soft flex. Stiff flex is not fun to shuffle.

Bridge size for sure, and I'm fine with jumbo index since most players I play with prefer them.

Pips close to corners so easier to peel is nice. Two colors is better than four. Easily distinguishable spade v. club.

• No warping = KEM
  • No fading = Copag
  • No poker size only = Bullet
  • No crooks = Modiano
  • No overt slickness = Royal
Bridge size required, jumbo index preferred.

Fournier, Desjgn, Piatnik, and Bicycle Prestige are all relatively affordable options with artwork designs, play characteristics, and color choices I can live with.

If you include easily obtainable, that pretty much narrows it down to Desjgn.

In my mind, smooth finish has always meant slippery, and textured have always meant not slippery. Is that always the case in your experience?

• No warping = KEM
  • No fading = Copag
  • No poker size only = Bullet
  • No crooks = Modiano
  • No overt slickness = Royal
Bridge size required, jumbo index preferred.

Fournier, Desjgn, Piatnik, and Bicycle Prestige are all relatively affordable options with artwork designs, play characteristics, and color choices I can live with.

If you include easily obtainable, that pretty much narrows it down to Desjgn.

I really love the Fournier.
Even their Poker size (especially their WSOP or WPT).

Modiano I like too. Why do you consider them as crooks ?

I've been hooked on @desjgn for the feel, they are absolutely amazing. Our game has a dedicated dealer (usually me) and its like dealing butter.

I'm just waiting for Justin to put out a set with poker peeks...

Screen Shot 2020-07-14 at 1.44.53 PM.png

For looks, I like cards that have no border. I think they look very cool on the table...

DSC0031_900x.jpg

I tried to sneak in a bridge size deck once. I had to look at this all night.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
I've been hooked on @desjgn for the feel, they are absolutely amazing. Our game has a dedicated dealer (usually me) and its like dealing butter.

I'm just waiting for Justin to put out a set with poker peeks...

View attachment 491327

For looks, I like cards that have no border. I think they look very cool on the table...

View attachment 491326

I tried to sneak in a bridge size deck once. I had to look at this all night.

View attachment 491329
That's OK. Just tell your group "we are not playing with black-jack cards anymore"

My pet peeve is 4-pip cards. Just the top left/bottom right for me
That's one thing that I can't understand how people like. Having the PIP in one corner tells your mind where a card begins and ends. Having four makes the board look like a mess to me.

These are beautiful. It isn't easy finding these for a decent price in the USA
They 're quite expensive in Europe too. Cheapest price in Spain itself (13E per setup), but that e-store there is currently closed, apparently due to the pandemic.

Fournier 2826 cards are perfect to me in almost every way.

Texture - Check
Flex - Check
PIP Size - Perfect
Readability - Check
Durability - Check
Yellow Box in middle - Check
One variety that I have also has the brighter red and NOT security ink - Check

The only issues are that they are Bridge sized. I have never considered bridge size before, but they are so nice that I hope I can convert my group. I don't think it will be easy @DeeVee8 ! I have Fournier 2818 in poker size, but they are not the same. Slightly slicker, PIPs are bigger, and they have the security ink.

I am seeing a little bid of card float with a brand new deck of the 2826s. Do you guys think this will this lessen with some play?

Durability
Bright red ink
Jumbo index
No borders on face and number cards
Full bleed or thin borders

Thin & flexible are preferable.

Bad stuff:
Thick & stiff cards that are hard to shuffle through a session (ie: Mod$#&! Platnium, Faded Spades) :mad:
Not a fan of 4 index cards :meh:
Full bleed backs :eek:

Other things that are important are:
Bridge size :tup:
Jumbo index :tup:
Offered in classic Red/Blue colors :tup::tup::tup:
Bordered clean back design (no fancy super busy stuff) :tup:
Not prone to warpage (talking to you Kem's) :unsure:
Desjgn, Fournier, Piatnik :cool

Modiano I like too. Why do you consider them as crooks ?
Serious quality control issues involving the printing on the backs of cards they make, resulting in marked cards.

If you are playing with a deck of Modiano cards produced for a 3rd party and dont see which cards are marked... you may be playing at a severe disadvantage.

Serious quality control issues involving the printing on the backs of cards they make, resulting in marked cards.

If you are playing with a deck of Modiano cards produced for a 3rd party and dont see which cards are marked... you may be playing at a severe disadvantage.
Card sorting?... You afraid that Phil Yvey will visit your home game?

But seriously I know for the fact that KEMs sells cards with minor defects as so called "seconds". Someone from PCF bought them second hand as premium cards. So "caviar emptor".

Did that happen with Modiano in other cases outside the Desjgn fiaso?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom