What are you listening to? (10 Viewers)

Just saw the Black Panther, which brought back memories of one f the greatest movies (and soundtracks) of all time.. The Power of One.

This epic movie is emotional, gritty, and profound. The score is equally moving

this one doesn't suck,

nor does this one,

Critters Buggin in da house - straight outta Seattle

Last edited:
OK, tonight was one of those nights that happen now and then, and could only happen because of today's Internet.

At supper, my wife mentioned that a couple of our friends are taking a repositioning cruise from Miami to Dublin. It's all her fault.

Because the "Dublin" part was gnawing at me, telling me that I just had to listen to Guy Clark's "Dublin Blues", which IMO is one of the most beautiful songs ever written.

So, off to Spotify -- but my old ipad and Spotify weren't talking to each other for some weird reason, so grab the living room laptop and head to Youtube. And an hour of Guy Clark, "The Guitar", "LA Freeway", "Desperados", "Instant Coffee Blues", "My Favorite Picture of You" (
), many more -- with divergences to Townes van Zandt, Prine, Walker, until we hit my absolute Guy Clark favorite, "The Cape". When you get up there in age, that song resonates like nothing else.

And of course, "The Cape" led to Eric Bibb's version -- IMO, the best ever done -- which led to an hour of Eric Bibb, which culminated in "Eric Bibb - an afternoon in Paris[sic]" (
), set in a fabulous guitar store just off the Champs-Elysees, with him just twaddling away on a 1930's Gibson with astounding tone. His version of "Going Down Slow" (
) is superb. (What a pairing he would be on a tour with Keb Mo -- much better than Taj Mahal.)

Then from the sidebar, how could you not watch again Mark Knopfler -- certainly one of the top three, and my choice as number one guitarist alive -- "Mark Knopfler on Guitars" (
)? Hey, it's only a little over 14 minutes long.

So now, four hours later, the Web has remorselessly chewed up another evening...ain't it great? :rolleyes:

I'd give my left nut to see Eric Bibb live. His music is appallingly religious for the most part, but he does a lot of classical blues as well. An amazing guy - grew up in NYC in the folk music of the early 60's, with a musician father and an uncle who was the keyboardist of the Modern Jazz Quartet, Paul Robeson as his godfather, etc.. Then he went to Paris (Buffet, anyone?), mainstreamed jazz guitar, married a Finnish girl, and stayed in Finland and Sweden. He rarely tours in the US -- might have to go to Europe to catch him live, while it's still possible.

I wonder if any of our Finnish friends have seen him perform live? If so, I'm extremely envious...

And with the Cameron Hughes Oregon Pinot Noir done, time to rack out. G'night, y"all... :cool:

Had my iTunes on random....and this cool cat popped in.....forgot how good his voice was, don't make em like this anymore maybe some don't give a rats....but for me top shelf for the genre
still sounded sweet later

This track prompted my interest in Thelonious Monk. I love the way they blend the two songs.

This is a fun one.

I have other versions of this song, including at least one by this group, but just came across this 2004 Pres Hall release and it is off the hook.

Enjoy!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom