What advice would you give your inexperienced poker self!? (1 Viewer)

Well self, one thing that comes to mind is you only buy in for 100bb max until you learn who is the sheep and who is the wolf. BBoTB attendees could save a world of hurt by buying in for $50 at a time. And so could you, self. You buy in deep only when you know it is right.

Last edited:
Okay so I have a question from a real life situation that didn't end very well for me. You can probably guess what happened, but I want to ask the question anyway.

Early in a tournament I'm at a table with some very good poker players. I'm probably the fish here (as I am at most live games, but you gotta learn somewhere, right!?), and in mid position I look down at AKo. Blinds are 100/200 and effective stacks about 7k I think. I raise to 450 (no bashing about the small raise, I hadn't realised the blinds had just gone up from 50/100). One caller behind me. Pot is 1200

Flop comes 4 7 K all of different suits. I'm smiling. I lead out with a bet of 700. The guy behind me raises to 2k.

What's the thought process here and the play?

I don't have any information on these players (it's the second hand after I got moved to the table). All I know is they're all very good players.

Okay so I have a question from a real life situation that didn't end very well for me. You can probably guess what happened, but I want to ask the question anyway.

Early in a tournament I'm at a table with some very good poker players. I'm probably the fish here (as I am at most live games, but you gotta learn somewhere, right!?), and in mid position I look down at AKo. Blinds are 100/200 and effective stacks about 7k I think. I raise to 450 (no bashing about the small raise, I hadn't realised the blinds had just gone up from 50/100). One caller behind me. Pot is 1200

Flop comes 4 7 K all of different suits. I'm smiling. I lead out with a bet of 700. The guy behind me raises to 2k.

I don't have any information on these players (it's the second hand after I got moved to the table). All I know is they're all very good players.

I hate tourneys. You have 35bb. That would be short stacked in any cash game.

With the current SPR and flop texture, I shove here in a cash game. In this exact spot, I probably do the same, but my tournament chops are 10 years out of date.

Btw-last I heard, top tournament players were raising 2.5x pretty commonly. A bigger preflop raise is not necessarily better so short stacked, though it pot commits you quicker, making the decisions easier.

Preflop raise size is fine. Bet size on flop is fine. Jam to his raise. It's all really standard.

Okay so I don't feel as stupid. Top pair, top kicker with this texture my only thought was shoving.

I shoved. He called. He shows trip sevens. The table all look at me like an idiot, one guy gets on his high horse and starts with "three things that are funny about that..."

I didn't stay to listen, but it did affect me. I kept questioning if it was the right move. What I should have done differently. Should I have only shoved if I had the absolute nuts at the time? He would have re-raised pre-flop with Aces, he's not re-raising post flop on a draw. I guess he either also has a king, possibly two pair, but who calls a pre-flop raise with 4 to act after with king rag. With hindsight, trips makes sense, but even if I call the re-raise there's no way it's not getting all in on the turn (turn was a 9 I think).

This is a classic example of why I dislike tournament poker.

As played, the pre flop raise is fine. Most top pros I know are raising 2x-2.5x these days (they used to raise more).

On the flop, you don't want to get raised. This is where counting combos helps a lot. If the villain only raises with legitimate hands (and doesn't play cheese like 74s, K7s and K4s) then you're likely up against 44, 77, AK, or KQ. Since you said they are good players, let's assume they fold KJ pre flop (some will also fold KQ here, and many won't raise with it on that flop).

There are 3 combos for each of the two sets, 6 AK combos and 8 KQ combos left in the deck. He also could have slow played one of the 3 remaining AA combos on you. So running into another AK here is equally as likely as running into a set, and if KQ combos don't always raise, you don't really have much of an edge unless they also play bad hands and/or make raises with worse holdings (wishful thinking). Most good players are going to call the raise here and reevaluate on the turn. They will fold to a shove and will pay off smaller bets. However, reraising all in is a mistake if you think your opponent is a solid player. But not a huge one. This is pretty much a trap hand however it plays out though. I wouldn't beat yourself up over it.

That said, some good players will also raise with hands like 56s and 99-QQ on this board. But they're doing it to get a free card on the turn usually. If that happens, you need to bet for value on the river obviously

Putting in over a third of our stack then check/folding turn on a dry board is worse.
Never said that we had to fold the turn, but its probably a better play than jamming flop. If you want to put all the money in with this hand calling down is better than jamming flop.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom