We were evacuated from our house today, here's what I grabbed (1 Viewer)

RainmanTrail

Straight Flush
Reaction score
I made a trip to the grocery store today, and on my way back I noticed the hills behind our neighborhood were on fire. I said to myself, "Oh shit! This doesn't look good." So as soon as I got home I packed a bugout bag and my wife started packing up supplies for the baby. About an hour later, we got an Emergency Alert message on our phones that said to "Evacuate Immediately!" So we threw the bags and the baby in the car and I grabbed some of my chips and other valuables and hit the road.

Here's what I grabbed in the following order...
1) Binion's WSOP set
2) Lakeshore Inn set
3) Nevada Lodge set
4) Baseball cards
5) Chip singles collection
6) Outpost set
7) A few random, higher end racks of chips

Chips I left behind
1) Cali Rounders
2) Lucky Buddhas
3) Rounders CSQ tourney set
4) The Grove - Bud Jones CICs
5) Burro's Horseshoes
6) Several random chip racks

I decided to leave the CPC chips behind because I figured those were all replaceable, and the most likely chip purchases to be covered by insurance since I had receipts for them. Otherwise, the Cali Rounders would have come with me over the Outpost chips. At first, I just grabbed my Outpost $2s and $100s, but then I decided to grab the full set because I just spent way too much time cherry-picking, cleaning and oiling my keeper set for it to get burned into piles of clay.

Screenshot_20200604-192814.png

1591346304563.png

Binions WSOP Set.jpg

Lakeshore Inn Set 01.jpg

Nevada Lodge Set 01.jpg

1591346541814.png

Airplanes and helicopters have been circling all night trying to put the fires out. We're back in our home for now, but remain on high alert as they continue to fight the fires. The winds shifted and have begun pushing the flames away from us, at least for now. Crazy day.

Last edited:
I’m glad you were able to see it, think fast, and buy yourself a few minutes head start.

Seems like you and the family are safe, that’s the most important!

Hope that you and your family are safe.

Hope all is well. It’s all about the winds and how they can turn things in a dime. Went through this about 1.5 years ago. Had to evacuate about 12:30am. It really makes you think about what’s important.

It’s good to have a plan and ask yourself what would I take in case I had to bug out fast. Good luck and be safe.

Hope all is well. It’s all about the winds and how they can turn things in a dime. Went through this about 1.5 years ago. Had to evacuate about 12:30am. It really makes you think about what’s important.

It’s good to have a plan and ask yourself what would I take in case I had to bug out fast. Good luck and be safe.
Glad you're safe @RainmanTrail. It's all good fun when posting about the chips part on the forum, but to get your family to safety is what we celebrate.

@Mongoose - no joke, brother! I feel like we're basically on an annual procedure by now. My old apartment building burned down in the Ventura fires years ago, we were on alert when we were in Thousand Oaks, and since we've moved to Simi it's been 2 years in a row now of office and home evacuations. We're just about waiting for it to come back to really keep 2020 in a funky state.

It's a good reminder to anyone in fire-possible zones to have a plan.

Glad everyone including the chips are safe Travis. Are there any Safes that you could get that would be Fireproof to the point that the safe and chips would survive so you don't have to worry about evacuating your chips?

Glad everyone including the chips are safe Travis. Are there any Safes that you could get that would be Fireproof to the point that the safe and chips would survive so you don't have to worry about evacuating your chips?

I have a large fire proof vault, but fire proof just means that it won't get hot enough for paper to burn. Plastic will still melt though, and any chips left inside would likely be destroyed.

There are some safes that could protect them, but they're extremely expensive and usually pretty small.

Glad you made out okay Travis.

Was it a tough decision of what to grab first between 1 and 2 ?

Trying times, hope all ends well!

Not to be overly facetious ... but ummm all those abandoned chips hitting the market when you get back safe :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom