We need orders! (2 Viewers)

mmm...sourdough clay.

i really appreciate all of the extra information you've provided, david. as an engineer by training and practice (albeit questionably), i am curious (apologies if you've discussed it elsewhere) - what was your professional background before you got into the incredibly niche poker chip manufacturing industry?

Well prior to getting into the chip business full time 20 years ago, I was a Management Consultant at KPMG. And before that worked for the UK Treasury.
BUT, I originally trained as a mechanical engineer before losing my job when the company I was working for shut their premises and moved 200 miles.
My father had just been laid off and income was wanted so I took the first job available. I've always been pretty technical so understanding the chip making process wasn't too hard. Did a bit of engineering between other jobs as well (actually quite high profile) to help a friend with his own business. Will post a brief resume in a minute.

mmm...sourdough clay.

i really appreciate all of the extra information you've provided, david. as an engineer by training and practice (albeit questionably), i am curious (apologies if you've discussed it elsewhere) - what was your professional background before you got into the incredibly niche poker chip manufacturing industry?

So a bit of other background. Best subjects at school - Maths, Physics, Design & Technology, Technical Drawing.
1978-1983 Engineering - mainly mechanical (die making etc.) but the apprenticeship did include 6 months Electrical also.
1983-1990 UK Treasury (4 different jobs) and qualified as a CA during that time. Also did some extra part time work - friend of mine was a manager at Johnson Controls - they used freelance draftsmen and I did the drawings (old fashioned drawing board and Rotring pens) for Heathrow Airport Terminal 4 heating and aircon ducts.
1990-1996 KPMG - Assistant Manager, Manager, Senior Consultant - mostly risk management for options etc.
1996-1997 Rabobank - Risk manager for London branch (poached by my main client). A lot of unfortunate events led me to leave after a year. The bank relocated it's dealing room to their head office in Holland (where I had actually worked for a year while at KPMG). They offered me a very attractive package to move, even including a house! Unfortunately both my parents and my wife had some serious health issues around that time so I quit. Ended up spending 4 years as a 'carer' before going back to technical drawing (onto AutoCad by now) where I did most of the drawings for the fitting out of Heathrow Terminal 5 (heating, cooling, electrics, plumbing over a couple of years.
So now I'm at the end of 2002 and out of work. I've been a gambler for a long time, mainly roulette. Had my own wheel at home and used to poach souvenirs wherever I went. Wondered whether they were worth anything, started scouring eBay and found people back then were paying 10x face value for US stuff in the UK and Europe. Through eBay I hooked up with a few people in Vegas who would sell me chips that I could auction on. Decided in 2003 it would be cheaper for me to fly to Vegas and fill up a few suitcases myself. Started going to Vegas a couple of times a year and maybe around 2005, at a CCA Convention I was introduced to Jim Blanchard. He asked if I would market his chips in Europe so that's where the connection started.
When he sold out the first time in 2012 I was 'cut out', but then when the opportunity to buy the company back a year later came Jim wasn't interested. Said he would work there but didn't want to own it again. So he asked me and David Sarles if we were interested and that's how it happened.

So a bit of other background. Best subjects at school - Maths, Physics, Design & Technology, Technical Drawing.
1978-1983 Engineering - mainly mechanical (die making etc.) but the apprenticeship did include 6 months Electrical also.
1983-1990 UK Treasury (4 different jobs) and qualified as a CA during that time. Also did some extra part time work - friend of mine was a manager at Johnson Controls - they used freelance draftsmen and I did the drawings (old fashioned drawing board and Rotring pens) for Heathrow Airport Terminal 4 heating and aircon ducts.
1990-1996 KPMG - Assistant Manager, Manager, Senior Consultant - mostly risk management for options etc.
1996-1997 Rabobank - Risk manager for London branch (poached by my main client). A lot of unfortunate events led me to leave after a year. The bank relocated it's dealing room to their head office in Holland (where I had actually worked for a year while at KPMG). They offered me a very attractive package to move, even including a house! Unfortunately both my parents and my wife had some serious health issues around that time so I quit. Ended up spending 4 years as a 'carer' before going back to technical drawing (onto AutoCad by now) where I did most of the drawings for the fitting out of Heathrow Terminal 5 (heating, cooling, electrics, plumbing over a couple of years.
So now I'm at the end of 2002 and out of work. I've been a gambler for a long time, mainly roulette. Had my own wheel at home and used to poach souvenirs wherever I went. Wondered whether they were worth anything, started scouring eBay and found people back then were paying 10x face value for US stuff in the UK and Europe. Through eBay I hooked up with a few people in Vegas who would sell me chips that I could auction on. Decided in 2003 it would be cheaper for me to fly to Vegas and fill up a few suitcases myself. Started going to Vegas a couple of times a year and maybe around 2005, at a CCA Convention I was introduced to Jim Blanchard. He asked if I would market his chips in Europe so that's where the connection started.
When he sold out the first time in 2012 I was 'cut out', but then when the opportunity to buy the company back a year later came Jim wasn't interested. Said he would work there but didn't want to own it again. So he asked me and David Sarles if we were interested and that's how it happened.
Would you be interested in adopting a precious 43 year old baby boy?…

You could probably raise infinite $$ from PCFers by putting an "order tracker" option on your website and charging $1 every time the person checks.
Or....
David could add a $10 invoicing charge for every color change, spot change, art change, question and late night "I should have added more" email request.

That’s big brain energy right there!

I’d have spent $20 on just today
Or....
David could add a $10 invoicing charge for every color change, spot change, art change, question and late night "I should have added more" email request.
I’d have made $5000 today, most of it from just two people!

Or....

IMG_6907.jpeg

Not sure how they passed you over for those dos equis commercials (world's most interesting man)....'cause you definitely beat that dude they ended up with...

Well prior to getting into the chip business full time 20 years ago, I was a Management Consultant at KPMG. And before that worked for the UK Treasury.
BUT, I originally trained as a mechanical engineer before losing my job when the company I was working for shut their premises and moved 200 miles.
My father had just been laid off and income was wanted so I took the first job available. I've always been pretty technical so understanding the chip making process wasn't too hard. Did a bit of engineering between other jobs as well (actually quite high profile) to help a friend with his own business. Will post a brief resume in a minute.

wow, thanks for the deep dive answer! i am a mechanical engineer by education as well; it's funny how much life can spin in ways you didn't expect.

i know i'm not alone in saying thank you for what you do for this community, and your seemingly endless patience.

And now you have a glimpse into how difficult a process it is to make a compression clay chip.

And to think that some of us were pooh-poohed for suggesting that you shouldn't just start out home baking things out of your garage with dreams of raking in the cash by producing home made chips for the demanding public market out there.

Thanks, David, for providing another peek behind the curtain!

Orders have been very slow over the past few months. Makes it hard to operate the factory efficiently and costs us (well, me) money. Not so good coupled with the recent grinder repair costs.
So, if anyone is contemplating ordering or is in a position to place an order, please do so if you can!!
Disposable income is way down. Credit card debt way up. Crazy time. Maybe consider offering a sale?
I’d love to help and purchase a set, just can’t justify spending that much on chips (…yet lol).

I also love the thought of a Mold Calendar. I have thought for awhile that it would be beneficial to the customer and to Mr. Spragg. Thank you for sharing so much Dave. Us super chip nerds appreciate it more than u know. Us chippers always want more...more colors, more molds, more edge spots...honestly no matter what you offered we would want more. But make no mistake about it, the level of service and the quality of product you provide is amazing. I am very thankful for the opportunity you provide.

Or fbook and instagram advertised? It’s shocking I’ve never seen anything. Targeted online advertising is CHEAP.

Hire some of these amazing designers on PCF and promote a CPC set online. Or sell royalty to some of your current customers sets.

Same w @justincarothers.

Very easy to target poker players.

I’ve considered making up a set. I even ordered all the samples to see what I liked but the inlay design kind of intimidates me. Do yall know how long getting a set usually takes? Not that it matters in the long run I’m just curious. (Partial to the horse head design if that matters)

I’ve considered making up a set. I even ordered all the samples to see what I liked but the inlay design kind of intimidates me. Do yall know how long getting a set usually takes? Not that it matters in the long run I’m just curious. (Partial to the horse head design if that matters)
It really matters what mold you choose and where its at in the rotation. I would go into it planning on 6 months. Might be a bit less or it could be more.

As I mentioned before, if I make the Ewing Mold available then I have to give up the Nevada Gaming Licence which I don't really want to do yet.
I keep thinking about it but I'm not ready.

Heh... if that ever happens I'll likely be in for a set of them right off the bat. Sight unseen, that might be my favorite mold from all those you produce.

BTW....

Dave, the insights and history you've provided in this thread are awesome. Gives me a whole new respect for the service you and yours provide.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom