We need orders! (4 Viewers)

Made an effort to put together something before the CSQ cutoff, but looks like I'll be too late sadly. Need some more time in the oven, before I commit. Next run I'll be ready!

I trust David's word that this is expensive and not an easy thing to do as he knows the equipment and has researched what I would take to make new hobs and cups.

It would have already happened if it wasn't a large financial outlay.

Nobody manufactures things like this anymore. There are more efficient and technologically advanced ways of making things today. The problem is that modern technology doesn't play well with the older technology at CPC that is used to make our chips. It'd be great if it were as simple as a CNC mill and some designs. I have mold ideas I'd love to see produced.
Actually they are, lots of places do. I have a friend whose family owns a foundry and this type of stuff is a large part of their business.

It’s a relatively small operation (maybe ~30 staff) and they specialize in making small runs, machine part prototypes, and custom parts for older machines, etc, using sand molds. If you have the drawing, or the broken part - they can make it. (Within reason, we’re not talking space shuttles here)

It’s a LOT cheaper to do a prototype or one off custom part this way then setting up a fully automated line to make 1 part. (Zero retooling when using molds)

They have machinist that are old school and can work a part that is custom molded to meet tolerances, etc. (again, not space shuttle stuff, but they absolutely make custom parts for older large machinery, etc)

I don’t know anything about the making of chip molds, but there are lots of small specialty foundries that do small runs, one off custom parts. These guys can make molds super fast so set up cost is not nearly as expensive.

Last edited:
My recent add-on order was tiny; only 330 chips.

Towards the end of 2024 I'll be ordering new set of scrowns for cash games. Doesn't help now though. (hangs head in shame)

Wow some amazing info in this thread. Back to the “we need orders” part, is it possible to maybe shed some insight into how many orders you have for each mold as of now? I know multiple people who “want” to put in an order but think their mold is a long way out so they don’t feel the need to put it in for a while. I know they get the benefit of no price increases if they do it before the new year but I think a lot of chippers are more motivated on “when” they might get their order vs what the price is. In doing this maybe it will entice someone to say Jockey (or any mold) has a bunch of orders and might go in soon if more get added to the queue.

Orders have been very slow over the past few months. Makes it hard to operate the factory efficiently and costs us (well, me) money. Not so good coupled with the recent grinder repair costs.
So, if anyone is contemplating ordering or is in a position to place an order, please do so if you can!!
Hi David, have been contemplating making an order for a customised set.

Played around with the design tool, but it seems a bear claw design(below) is not possible?

If this was possible, will be keen to make a set!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-14 at 4.18.58 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-14 at 4.18.58 PM.png
    1,004.3 KB · Views: 96

Played around with the design tool, but it seems a bear claw design(below) is not possible?

Not possible. Dig around a bit and you’ll find several posts on CPC production limits, including some recently written by David.

If you use the CPC design tool:

http://www.pokerchipdesigntool.com/

...you will see the spots the CPC is capable of making.

Read somewhere around post #114 in this thread. There are several posts from David about the complications related to edge spots that they can produce at CPC using their process vs. what GPI can produce with their different materials and equipment.

I recently placed an order for 1000 chips. I had a bit of a budget issue. (due to paid vacation). I didn't want to sell my chips in a hurry, but I didn't want to wait either. Usually CPC issues an invoice for the entire amount at once, but I agreed with David and he created a special link for me and I paid the entire invoice in installments. Of course, Paypal takes a percentage for this, but inflation (and if you catch it before the annual CPC price increase) will be zero. I once missed my chance with ASM. And this time I decided not to wait.
David is a very flexible businessman and a pleasant person.

David,​

Quixotemi send me a sample of Atlantic Club chips on the horsehead mold. For whatever the scarcity of Paulson's may be, you are creating a product that is every bit as good and in my opinion even better. Your colors are vibrant and the output is a piece of art that I believe will outlast our own mortality. I have two ideas for a custom set I'm working on. I'll reach to professional designers once I can get my general composition in order. My order will come in as soon as I can grinds out the money playing $1-2.​

@quixotemi

@David Spragg

David,​

Quixotemi send me a sample of Atlantic Club chips on the horsehead mold. For whatever the scarcity of Paulson's may be, you are creating a product that is every bit as good and in my opinion even better. Your colors are vibrant and the output is a piece of art that I believe will outlast our own mortality. I have two ideas for a custom set I'm working on. I'll reach to professional designers once I can get my general composition in order. My order will come in as soon as I can grinds out the money playing $1-2.​

@quixotemi

@David Spragg

FYI prices increase in January

I'll have to pay the increases. I don't have any art ready.
You can send art up until the mold cut off time which is about 2 or 3 months before your chips ship. As long as you have your chip mold, colors, and edge spots picked you're good to order!

You can send art up until the mold cut off time which is about 2 or 3 months before your chips ship. As long as you have your chip mold, colors, and edge spots picked you're good to order!
Thanks for the heads up. I'm too new to understand the protocol.

Actually they are, lots of places do. I have a friend whose family owns a foundry and this type of stuff is a large part of their business.

It’s a relatively small operation (maybe ~30 staff) and they specialize in making small runs, machine part prototypes, and custom parts for older machines, etc, using sand molds. If you have the drawing, or the broken part - they can make it. (Within reason, we’re not talking space shuttles here)

It’s a LOT cheaper to do a prototype or one off custom part this way then setting up a fully automated line to make 1 part. (Zero retooling when using molds)

They have machinist that are old school and can work a part that is custom molded to meet tolerances, etc. (again, not space shuttle stuff, but they absolutely make custom parts for older large machinery, etc)

I don’t know anything about the making of chip molds, but there are lots of small specialty foundries that do small runs, one off custom parts. These guys can make molds super fast so set up cost is not nearly as expensive.
These guys could do the job as well, they specialized in one-offs for R&D prototypes out of any kind of metal imaginable for DuPont.
Good old school machinists.

https://kosmomachine.com/

What molds are coming up and what is rare?

What molds are coming up and what is rare?
I wouldn't base your choice of mold on what's coming up or not. Go with what you like and fits your budget. Due to the wearing of the mold cups over time, some are more expensive than others due to the amount of material used to get acceptable chips.

A 600 chip A mold order may only require material for 650 chips whereas a DSQ order may require material for 900 chips for the same 600 chip order, hence the increased price for DSQ vs. A mold.

David,​

@quixotemi

@David Spragg

1703475016778.gif

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom