Vegas solo - how tough are the tables / where to start? (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Hey PCFers,

So I'm trying to decide on a trip down to Vegas. I was going to go with a friend but he's backed out now for personal reasons and my other friends can't make it happen... I've played majority online and not many times live (maybe 3-4 times) something I've wanted to do for a while. On top of poker, I'd love to hang around one of the resort spas, maybe see a show. Not really sure yet, but some of those daily tournaments at Caesars palace look interesting to keep my bankroll at a reasonable floor.

I haven't travelled solo much in my life..

Anyone have any wisdom on a solo trip to vegas / where to stay / what I should look out for?

Thanks all!

If I do end up going, I'll document whatever happens for science.

The dailies at Resorts World and MGM are pretty decent and soft as well. For cash I like the action at Wynn, but Horseshoe and MGM still spread $1/2 and are pretty mild games iirc, possibly Mandalay Bay as well. Avoid Aria and Bellagio, low limit games are full of Vegas local regs.

Bravo app can give you a sense of what games are being spread where. The smaller rooms rarely have anything more than a couple tables of 1/3. If you want anything higher than 2/5 or you want to play PLO you’ll need one of the big rooms. I personally prefer Aria and Bellagio because they’re comfortable to play at, but they are likely the 2 toughest spots. Good fun!

Thank you both!

Any advice on the solo travel to Vegas?

Where am I going to find the best deals for flight + hotel?

Any single women that come and talk to you are working. Especially if they ask “if you want to party”. Avoid the bars at strip hotels.

Book through MGM or Caesars Rewards for the best hotel deals. Get your loyalty cards and use them.

Flights are flights.

Don't keep valuables in your room unsecured. Rooms get robbed.

Be safe on the strip. Take ubers or cabs. Don't walk in shady areas at night, especially after cashing out at the cage. Consider staying at or ajecent to the place you plan to play poker late night.

Don't take pics with the street performers/showgirls. They'll act all friendly, then afterwards demand $50+ for their "tip".

Expect to pay a premium for everything; drinks, food, rooms. Everything is more expensive in Vegas, and especially on The Strip.

If you enjoy live music, spend one night on Fremont. It's a blast!

The Duece bus is a cheap way to get up and down The Strip fairly quickly, but it can be pretty packed at times. A 3-day pass is like $20 I think. Also, check out the free trams and monorail.

Thank you both!

Any advice on the solo travel to Vegas?

Where am I going to find the best deals for flight + hotel?

I've been going to Vegas a couple times a year for almost 20 years. The best deals are usually found by booking directly with the airline and hotel. If you're willing to stay off-strip, the price will drop significantly. Check out Ellis Island (we love their Elvis Suite!) and/or Tuscany Suites, both within (safe) walking distance to The Strip.

You’ll end up paying either in money or time. Depends on your bankroll for both. The 24 hour Saturday-Sunday trip has different economics than a weeklong trip.

If you’re going midweek hotel prices are generally pretty low across the board but certainly be mindful of resort fees. Place like Vdara is equidistant to Aria and Bellagio poker rooms. If you’re targetting Wynn and Venetian rooms it makes more sense to stay further up the strip or on the east side of LVB.

Been looking at PH. I stayed there back in 2019 with two friends, but I've heard the cleanliness and maybe overall quality has degraded since then?
Absolutely correct! We went in Oct. 22’ and between the 3 rooms that we stayed in/visited all 3 were disgusting! There were blood stains on the sheets and bathroom walls. I also spilled a beer on the carpet and cleaned it up with a white hand towel. The towel was filthy after soaking up a Modelo especial. Looked like I cleaned up a Guinness.

I’m in the HVAC trade so naturally I had to take the cover off of the terminal unit(fan coil) and it matched my expectations. It didn’t look like it had been cleaned/serviced in years… I could have knitted a sweater and grown corn in there!

Headed back in April and staying at Aria and I expect the rooms there to be much cleaner.

Absolutely correct! We went in Oct. 22’ and between the 3 rooms that we stayed in/visited all 3 were disgusting! There were blood stains on the sheets and bathroom walls. I also spilled a beer on the carpet and cleaned it up with a white hand towel. The towel was filthy after soaking up a Modelo especial. Looked like I cleaned up a Guinness.

I’m in the HVAC trade so naturally I had to take the cover off of the terminal unit(fan coil) and it matched my expectations. It didn’t look like it had been cleaned/serviced in years… I could have knitted a sweater and grown corn in there!

Headed back in April and staying at Aria and I expect the rooms there to be much cleaner.
That sounds pretty gross.

And I'll be going... thinking Thurs -> Tues (or Wed)

The flight out I'm looking at on Thurs arrives local time around 10pm.

Departing flight leaves at 11:30am
, so my last 'day' would be a write off (Hence me thinking to stay to Wed instead of Tues).

Ewwww that’s gross. So you’re saying you wouldn’t recommend 5 nights at planet Hollywood?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom