Unfinished basement lighting (2 Viewers)

72o

4 of a Kind
Reaction score
I might be in the minority here, but my poker room is in an unfinished area of my basement. It's clean, there is an outdoor/indoor rug on the concrete, the walls are mostly covered with pictures & neon lights, there is a TV and most importantly a poker table and chips. But the ceiling is open to the floor joists above. I have 3 open light sockets with exposed bulbs...not very attractive and really bad on my eyes. Anyway, I came across these LED light fixtures at Home depot that just simply screw into these open sockets (commonly found in unfinished basements) and provides way better lighting. They look so much better than an exposed bulb and gives off a much nicer, softer light. Not exactly ground breaking, but I thought it was a cool, cheap upgrade worth sharing.HD has these listed for $20 apiece online, but in store they are $8 and change apiece (and they should last about 30 years).

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Commerci...ing-Flush-Mount-Easy-Light-54606241/204372304

Attachments

• HomeDepotLED1.jpg
    HomeDepotLED1.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 6,121
Very cool! Easy upgrade. I had 2 of the ceramic base pull chain sockets in my laundry room when I bought the house. I switched them out to T8 florescence lights about a week later. Just curious if they would work with the pull chain type.

My attic has 5 of them. I plan on wiring them on to a swich at the pull down stairs. I can't tell you how many times I've crawled on my hands and knees back the stairs only to look up to see that I forgot to turn off the light at the other end of the attic. :(

Yeah man unfinished basements aren' such a negative IMO. People I know have hung drywall on the walls only and painted the ceilings including floor joists and wires flat black. With the right lights you barely would notice the unfinished ceiling. Rugs combined with polished or painted concrete floors give the room a manly industrial loft-like vibe which I like for a cardroom

Very cool! Easy upgrade. I had 2 of the ceramic base pull chain sockets in my laundry room when I bought the house. I switched them out to T8 florescence lights about a week later. Just curious if they would work with the pull chain type...

I don't see why they wouldn't. They are basically an elaborate LED light bulb...should work anywhere a regular light bulb works.

Yeah man unfinished basements aren' such a negative IMO. People I know have hung drywall on the walls only and painted the ceilings including floor joists and wires flat black. With the right lights you barely would notice the unfinished ceiling. Rugs combined with polished or painted concrete floors give the room a manly industrial loft-like vibe which I like for a cardroom

I do wish I had the opportunity to finish my basement fully (I am doing it slowly over time by myself). But you're right, no one has complained one bit about playing in this room.

Unlikely that they would work since they look like they completely cover the fixture and there is no place for the chain to come out.

Very cool! Easy upgrade. I had 2 of the ceramic base pull chain sockets in my laundry room when I bought the house. I switched them out to T8 florescence lights about a week later. Just curious if they would work with the pull chain type.

:(

Oh i gotcha. You're right aboit it covering the whole socket so the chain wouldnt be able to hang down.

My attic has 5 of them. I plan on wiring them on to a swich at the pull down stairs. I can't tell you how many times I've crawled on my hands and knees back the stairs only to look up to see that I forgot to turn off the light at the other end of the attic. :(

The ones shown won't work with a pull chain, but there are other LEDs that will. LEDs are far superior of small room applications like laundry rooms because their lifespan is not significantly reduced when being turned on/off in a short time period. Florescent and incandescent have a much shorter lifespan when cycled quickly, like in bathrooms, laundry rooms, and closets.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom