Ultrasonic filled with Mineral Oil? (2 Viewers)

uberzoned

Reaction score
I've read the "How to oil chips right" post and a bunch of the ultrasonic posts... but haven't seen anyone that's tried filling the ultrasonic cleaners with mineral oil and giving them a run that way instead of compression oiling. Thoughts?

Example: I keep a cheap USC in my woodworking shop filled with a gallon of gun lube... drop tools in on occasion to give them a nice bath... then back into storage. Seems to do the trick, so why not with chips?

I guess I'm thinking like a woodworker... wood will absorb oil until it's saturated, so I'd like to think clay behaves the same way. Whatever doesn't get absorbed can be wiped away.

I've found it sufficient to put a tiny bit of oil on a clean rag and apply it to the outside of a barrel of chips. The next day I wipe away the excess, and the chips are good to go. The oil will work its way into the chips, and I feel like it prevents them from getting too oily.

I've read the "How to oil chips right" post and a bunch of the ultrasonic posts... but haven't seen anyone that's tried filling the ultrasonic cleaners with mineral oil and giving them a run that way instead of compression oiling. Thoughts?

Example: I keep a cheap USC in my woodworking shop filled with a gallon of gun lube... drop tools in on occasion to give them a nice bath... then back into storage. Seems to do the trick, so why not with chips?
Would imagine this would be a disaster. Usually I use a tiny bit of oil per barrel and typically have to wipe off excess. Bathing them in oil would probably take longer to clean off the oil to a good level than to just apply nicely with a cloth in the first place.

Would imagine this would be a disaster. Usually I use a tiny bit of oil per barrel and typically have to wipe off excess. Bathing them in oil would probably take longer to clean off the oil to a good level than to just apply nicely with a cloth in the first place.
Agreed. There’s also lots of types of inlays where you don’t want to have so much oil on the face that could soak under/in the inlay and permanently ruin it

I’m intrigued…. Try it, and let us know.

For science!
Wings Cooking GIF by Thunderbird Fried Chicken

I guess I'm thinking like a woodworker... wood will absorb oil until it's saturated, so I'd like to think clay behaves the same way. Whatever doesn't get absorbed can be wiped away.

I don’t think you want the chips totally saturated. A very little mineral oil goes a very long way on Paulsons.

Can’t quite imagine what total saturation would do. Sounds messy both on the table and in storage, and might also add noticeably to their weight.

Too much oil can seep under some inlays and discolor them. If you decide to give it a try, use 2 or 3 expendable chips.

I over-oiled a rack of chips once. This was back in the day when using foam shoe polish applicators was popular. My initial reaction was, "Oh, this is so easy and efficient" to "OMG, what have I done?" It was impossible to wipe off all of the excess oil. I had to wash the chips in Dawn and lukewarm water and then oil the chips properly in order to get a satisfactory result. Fortunately, my misadventure didn't harm the chips or the inlays. Lesson learned.

In the name of science I think you should throw a rack of Paulson's in a vat of oil and report back.

This idea intrigues me but even I think this might be too much oil. Like way too much. (like others have said it might be very time consuming to remove the excess)

I mean if they get too oily, maybe you can undo with a mineral spirit bath and try again.

Curious, did you go for it?

Sailing off into the sea was thought to be sure death.

Edge of the world.

Yet, men climbed into a boat…. For all of us. For mankind!

So, I say to you Mr. @uberzoned - set sail, risk life for adventure, and behold a new world for us all. (Or fuck up some chips, idk)

Pirate Horizon GIF by Sea of Thieves

To be fair, a lot of them did die on those ships

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom