New Chip Stripping pr0n (1 Viewer)

fishsaybloop

Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
Hi folks,

There’s been a new laundry cleaning trend on Tik Tok that’s supposed to strip mineral oils and gunk effectively from clothes.

Link here: https://vt.tiktok.com/ZSJsmgGE8/

Gave it a shot on chips and found it pretty effective without impacting color. It really dried out the chips but a little oiling brought it back to life.

WARNING! Potential risk of water seeping into inlay and color leaching with long soaks in chemicals. If you must, propose you do test chips and see results for yourself. Or test shorter soak times.

Ingredients:
- 1 part Borax
- 1 part washing soda (eg Arm and Hammer)
- 2 parts powder detergent (eg Tide)

Instruction
- 30min soak at 110F (40C) water
- Rinse with clean water to remove the chemicals
- Quick 1min spin in the ultrasonic with Simple Green
- Oil to bring back the color (oil and water method)

9E6BA569-E5D6-4EF9-B7F4-FA69B86B9319.jpeg

After soak
1F908BAD-E973-46BC-BF67-88B23BAAD972.jpeg

after oiling
809AB7C4-FAE2-4F30-BA0B-A500BD70CAC8.jpeg

Last edited:
Not sure if it’s the soak but looks like there’s some water leakage under the inlay actually on a handful of chips, will leave it for a few days to dry out. Hopefully that does the trick
Would be cool if you owned a desiccator. That would fix your moisture problem quickly.

A 30 minute soak is too long, and 110 degrees F water is too hot -- it can cause water damage (particularly to shaped inlays, as demonstrated in the above photos), and can soften (aka deform or warp) clay chips. Excess soaking using harsh chemicals can also bleach out chip color dyes, which frequently cannot be totally recovered by oiling.

I do NOT recommend cleaning inlaid clay chips using the OP's instructions.

@BGinGA great call out. Let me add a warning to the upfront section, might only be suitable for newer vinyl inlays and NOT shaped. But it was effective in removing dirt that an ultrasonic, hand scrub and dawn soak were ineffective to. Perhaps a shorter soak time might work.

There is evidence of water leakage in about 5% of the chips that I put through this. I’m letting them dry out now and may ask a friend for a dessicator. But definitely should not risk it with rarer chips.

I’ve not observed the color leaching yet but given they were pretty beat up.

@BGinGA great call out. Let me add a warning to the upfront section, might only be suitable for newer vinyl inlays and NOT shaped. But it was effective in removing dirt that an ultrasonic, hand scrub and dawn soak were ineffective to. Perhaps a shorter soak time might work.

There is evidence of water leakage in about 5% of the chips that I put through this. I’m letting them dry out now and may ask a friend for a dessicator. But definitely should not risk it with rarer chips.

I’ve not observed the color leaching yet but given they were pretty beat up.
You can get similar results on filthy PCA primaries using oxiclean in warm water for 10 minutes with a magic eraser follow-up if needed, although even soak times that short can still cause water damage to shaped inlays.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom