Ultrasonic Chip Cleaning (7 Viewers)

Would an ultrasonic be able to clean these marks? I already gave 'em a good scrubbing w/ a toothbrush+Dawn, i'm satisfied that the hooker juice was cleaned off, but these rack-check marks are some of the most vicious that I've ever seen. Any tips, or should I just invest in a ultrasonic cleaner?
View attachment 248039
Ultrasonic won't touch that. You need to either scrape them off carefully with the back of an X-Acto or utility knife, or use a magic eraser.

BTW I hope everyone understands that magic erasers work because they are abrasive and actually remove material from whatever they're scrubbing ... in other words, they take rack-check marks off because they are basically very fine-grit sandpaper. GO EASY with the pressure or you will take off too much of the chip.

Here we go!!!

Not a theory; it's fluid dynamics. I worked in the ultrasonic inspection field for years.

Sound travels easily through water. Air (aka, bubbles) in water reflects sound waves. Bubbles prevents sound waves from reaching a target (if inspecting), identifies a target (like voids in metal), and prevents the waves from effectively reaching target chips and creating cavitation (microscopic bubbles that essentially explode, creating a shock wave that is the cleaning effect on chip surfaces). Also why leaving chips in the ultrasonic for very long periods of time will eventually destroy them.

Cavitation is some pretty powerful stuff -- it can destroy ship propellers and internal pump impellers, among other things. Additives are often part of the solution to minimize damage caused by unwanted cavitation.

Cavitation_bubble_implosion.png
@horseshoez @TKO this seems to be the thread to read as far as ultrasonic cleaning is concerned

ugh why won't they ship to hawaii...... even the TSP i can't have shipped to me

@davin just let me know if you want me to quote shipping. Happy to help. Could ship the TSP tightly inside a ultrasonic even to help with shipping

@CacheCreekCollector Have you tried a magic eraser? I have seen others comment that it removes "check marks".

I tried a Magic Eraser on some Starbursts recently... As @Gear and others have noted, while it does clean up a lot of stuff other methods don’t, it is kind of like sandpapering your chips. Have to use very lightly if at all.

@davin no, I would be willing to help ya out and get it shipped from US mainland if you would like. Just trying to help a chipping brother out.

Just got my setup in and wanted to do a test run. Cleaned 250 chips in less than 20 mins and minimal effort. I'm a believer.
IMG_20190319_134949.jpg
Thanks OP for showing me the light.

Can’t wait to try mine out. Just got in today
My hands still throb from last time I cleaned chips manually

2700C99A-8130-4A92-A6D8-89B4821D188A.jpeg

I’ve heard on red chips to not go to high on temp, what do you folks recommend on paulson Red chips.... I’ve hand scrubbed with warm water and dawn and had red bleed in water already so don’t wana ruin in ultrasonic.... I want to prepare my self prior

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom