Ultrasonic Chip Cleaning (10 Viewers)

Jeez, you using a converted deep-fat fryer??! lol

N
Jeez, you using a converted deep-fat fryer??! lol
no Foreal, towards the end dirty water when I’d dip the basket in with chips I noticed a little siZzle noise with temp set at 37C now I’m going to put a external thermometer inside to make sure the temp is accurate if u guys haven’t heard that noise before

AF7B195B-60CA-48D0-A4CB-FC4F62B4799D.jpeg
76655DC6-87DA-437F-86E0-6941EB6E017F.jpeg
52D7662E-D60B-41FA-B430-72B4706541DC.jpeg

If you mill and relabel Paulson THCs, can the labels survive an ultrasonic cleaning?

I assume vinyl labels should be fine, but wondering if the sonic action is more likely to lift the label if there is even a minuscule irregularity in how it’s affixed.

(I’m sure this is answered elsewhere, but my search didn’t turn up anything.)

Yes, they will survive. I wouldn't do it on a chips with freshly applied labels, but if they've been on for a little bit of time then that epoxy is STRONG. I've cleaned overlabeled chips and have seen no lifting.

What ultrasonic cleaner that is available on amazon do you guys recommend besides the one listed at the beginning of the thread, as these are out of stock.?

So I've searched though this thread and can't find a definitive answer on TRKs (scrown). Are they OK to go in the ultrasonic? With TSP?

Got mine today. Few impressions and lessons learned:

1) Followed @ski_ex5 's directions in original post exactly and they worked perfect. If there's ever a PCF Hall of Fame, he should be in first ballot on this submission alone. Super helpful and well done. Ditto for @NorCalChip's video.

2) Biggest issue I had struggled with was chips slipping out of the salad spinner basket regardless of how tight I held it to the side. I couldn't use the lid with the one I had, thus was doing it "open face" style. In hindsight a mistake. Lesson learned: I'd highly recommend a set up where you can cage them in entirely.

3) I did a couple minutes on each batch and as others have said, the results blow you away. I only did about 300 and probably didn't really need this thing. Guessing could have done it by hand just fine. But the coolness of seeing this thing in action is worth the money IMHO. If you're on the fence, I'd say go for it. There's entertainment value in it in addition to the time saving.

4) Here's the most interesting/encouraging part: After I got done with the chips, I started grabbing other other stuff around the house to try. I did my golf clubs, my son's clubs, my wife's wedding ring (after the clubs - priorities) some greasy thermometers from my bbq and a couple other things (thx to the suggestions in this thread). Probably ran it another 25-30 minutes in total. Then, when draining the water, I discovered 4 runaway chips that had been in there the whole time. I didn't realize they were there b/c the water was so murky when they fell out. As it turned out, they were no worse for the wear.

In the pic, the top row are the ones that got hit for 20-30 minutes. The bottom row is 2 minutes. The pink frac has a very slight bit of fading on 20-30 min chip that the pic might not show. On the others, there's no difference. Wouldn't want to make this a practice. 2-3 minutes tops is still probably best. But this does tell me the process seems to be fairly "forgivable" and you don't have to panic too much about an extra minute here or there -- at least w/Paulsons.

5) The golf clubs were interesting too. But post is too long already to get into that... PM if you're curious about the golf club findings.

Attachments

• IMG_5019.JPG
    IMG_5019.JPG
    297.4 KB · Views: 198
Got mine today. Few impressions and lessons learned:

1) Followed @ski_ex5 's directions in original post exactly and they worked perfect. If there's ever a PCF Hall of Fame, he should be in first ballot on this submission alone. Super helpful and well done. Ditto for @NorCalChip's video.

2) Biggest issue I had struggled with was chips slipping out of the salad spinner basket regardless of how tight I held it to the side. I couldn't use the lid with the one I had, thus was doing it "open face" style. In hindsight a mistake. Lesson learned: I'd highly recommend a set up where you can cage them in entirely.

3) I did a couple minutes on each batch and as others have said, the results blow you away. I only did about 300 and probably didn't really need this thing. Guessing could have done it by hand just fine. But the coolness of seeing this thing in action is worth the money IMHO. If you're on the fence, I'd say go for it. There's entertainment value in it in addition to the time saving.

4) Here's the most interesting/encouraging part: After I got done with the chips, I started grabbing other other stuff around the house to try. I did my golf clubs, my son's clubs, my wife's wedding ring (after the clubs - priorities) some greasy thermometers from my bbq and a couple other things (thx to the suggestions in this thread). Probably ran it another 25-30 minutes in total. Then, when draining the water, I discovered 4 runaway chips that had been in there the whole time. I didn't realize they were there b/c the water was so murky when they fell out. As it turned out, they were no worse for the wear.

In the pic, the top row are the ones that got hit for 20-30 minutes. The bottom row is 2 minutes. The pink frac has a very slight bit of fading on 20-30 min chip that the pic might not show. On the others, there's no difference. Wouldn't want to make this a practice. 2-3 minutes tops is still probably best. But this does tell me the process seems to be fairly "forgivable" and you don't have to panic too much about an extra minute here or there -- at least w/Paulsons.

5) The golf clubs were interesting too. But post is too long already to get into that... PM if you're curious about the golf club findings.

I know everyone loves the salad spinner but for me I use the metal mesh basket that was included in the sonic cleaner + a big cooking wooden spatula. I fill up the basket to 1/2 to 2/3 full (I'm guessing 150 chips?) and just use the wooden spatula to stir fry those chips.

It's great. You can do a lot of chips at a time, and the chips do not scratch at all.

BTW-- If any of the Colorado folks in the Denver/Boulder want to borrow mine, just let me know.... you're welcome to grab/use it any time... I've got a ton of the extra cleaner, but you'll need to BYOSS* though (*salad spinner).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom