Ultrasonic Chip Cleaning (7 Viewers)

Finally got some time to do some cleaning....

P1110605.JPG

Man, those TRK (solid roulettes on the right) were DIRTY. The nastiness after cleaning just 2 barrels of them was worse than the previous 6 racks of chips combined.

Looks like an afternoon of oiling....

Just seems too damn hard to clean chips I remember why I gave up hand cleaning my clevelands and 250 chips in I am about to throw in the towel again started to hate used chips for this reason lol

Its one of those brushes with two sides one is blue with harder bristles and the other side of the brush is white bristles thats softer it was like $4 I think its like a brush to scrub dishes with

Its one of those brushes with two sides one is blue with harder bristles and the other side of the brush is white bristles thats softer it was like $4 I think its like a brush to scrub dishes with
Will have to look into that, sounds like it may be better then a tooth brush

I had the opportunity to do some testing on Burt/ASM chips using Simple Green.

The results were acceptable, but not as good (or fast) as Paulsons with TSP.

Machine: Hornaday Lock N Load, 140W (see OP)
Cleaning Solution: Simple Green
Mixing Ratio: 6 Tbsp (tablespoons) Simple Green to 8 cups distilled water
Temperature: preset to 110 deg F (see additional Temperature discussion below.)
Setup: 10 chips at a time in the basket... I did not use the salad spinner
Time: 30 minutes total. Three runs of 10 minutes each, flipping the chips between each run.

86B29C4B-BA96-4365-9C54-2DEA25E6B6C4.jpeg

The chips on the left are typical “before” chips. The chips on the right are typical “after.” The discoloration on the “after” inlay was present before the cleaning operation. This discoloration is common on these old Binion Horseshoe chips.

E1789B8F-A5DE-4DDF-BE35-70BADFAA6D3F.jpeg

An attempt was made to do more chips at a time, both in the basket and in the salad spinner. No substantial time savings were gained with the agitation in the salad spinner. The greater number of chips decreased the effectivity of the static cleaning in the basket. Ten chips fit nicely in the basket... that is why ten was selected.

39B2B0BE-F876-4C26-B85A-DA39B7C12196.jpeg

Some of the chips experienced some fading. This is presumed to have been caused be the long cleaning times in an increased temperature environment. The long duration caused the water temperature to increase continuously without additional heat being added. At the start of the testing, the water was 110 deg F... after 30 minutes of cleaning, the water had increased to ~135 deg F. I was in “Fuck it” mode while doing the tests, so I didn’t do anything to try to bring down the temperature.

DDBEFCE7-096B-405C-94F4-095310574262.jpeg

A bit of oil worked well to bring back the boldness of the black edgespots. Some of the gunk was stubborn. An additional 10 minute run was made on some chips with varying amounts of success. Notice some chips still have gunk in the horseshoes.

Conclusion
In general this methodology is less effort than Dawn and a scrub brush. It also results in cleaner chips. There is a bit of a rough texture on some of the chips. Oil helped reduce this texture. This texture might be a result of the high temperature. I don’t think the Simple Green attacked the chip. Nothing like Oxiclean or TSP.

Recommendations:
The following recommendations are suggested for anyone that is considering trying this method. It is plausible these recommendations will yield better results.
1. Higher concentration of Simple Green. Suggest double what was used in the tests above. i.e. 12 Tbsp.
2. Alternate cleaning solution. This ultimately is the challenge. Perhaps another biodegradable cleaner will yield better results.
3. Motor driven salad spinner. It is plausible that the agitation caused by the salad spinner can provide improvement. I have no interest in standing next to the machine for 30 minutes manually rotating the salad spinner. Devising a drive system solves that problem... whether it offers a benefit remains to be seen.

Thanks for posting your results. We'll see if I can replicate or experiment with the formula.
There seems to be many different products under the Simple Green banner. Any chance you can give us a snapshot of the one you used?

Hey, thanks to OP and all to contribuate this Bible thread ! :tup:

I have a lot of chips to clean (50k), and one half is paulsons .. I dont want to brush them all one by one ;)

I already have an ultrasonic machine, just have to bough the salad cleaner and .. TSP.

I'm asking about TSP, because in france we dont have access too !

Does Sodium Phosphate with distilled water will work in your opinion ?

Is there any risk ? For sure i can try on 40 of them to test. But i'd like to be sure before buy Sodium Phosphate ;)

Thanks

Disclaimer: I’m not a chemist.

I think the “sodium phosphate” you have found in France is likely the same as the TSP we have in the states. TSP is shorthand for “trisodium phosphate.” You may see mentioned in this thread the jargon “real” or “fake” TSP. I think most of us in the thread use what is referred to as fake TSP for cleaning the chips. There are definitely some that have used real TSP with success. The fake TSP is actually sodium metasilicate. Perhaps you will have success in France finding sodium metasilicate.
If you can’t find it, I would recommend trying the sodium phosphate on just one chip to see how it reacts. Just hold on to the chip with your fingers and insert it half way into the solution while the ultrasonic is running.. don’t insert your fingers. You should see the debris just melt away. Good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks for your aswer, i'll try sodium metisilicate before trisodium phosphate, and i'll check with one chip to test that.
I think i can have Trisodium phosphate in France, it's hard to find but i'll have some i think.

I'll keep you informed by my tests :D

Is sodium metasilicate pentahydrate 99% what I want to get? The tsp seems to be sold out everywhere I’m looking. Amazon keeps refunding me.

The salad spinner what a great idea but thanks for all the detailed info because I have a jewlery sonic cleaner and according to you it will not to the job so will use soap and an electronic tooth brush it will take longer but should do the job, any idea if it is bad for the chip paulson ? If the head of the tooth brush is medium to hard Thanks again

ASM update?

I have these chips arriving in the next week or so, and I have an absolute baller US cleaner available to me. Now I am reading that my things are mutually exclusive. Would love to hear what I can do besides hand clean, as I have 1200 coming.

Attachments

• ASM.JPG
    ASM.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 122

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom