Ultrasonic Chip Cleaning (4 Viewers)

So wait, I use the magic eraser with the Dawn? I tried cleaning a few chips the other night and was a bit disappointed. I soaked in warm Dawn bath, did a little soft toothbrushing, then rinsed and THEN used the magic eraser. I thought the magic eraser was a stand alone cleaning product. I'll try again tonight with both Dawn and magic eraser together. Thanks!
Yep! I get my magic eraser super wet and then poor a big gob of dawn directly onto the eraser, and then start gently scrubbing. Re-wet and re-apply dawn when your scrubbing starts to get less sudsy.

in my very minimal testing, I’ve found that this works pretty well and is maybe slightly less aggressive on the cross-hatching on newer chips.

1st cleaning complete.

Lesson learned:
You actually have to turn the ultrasonic cleaner on to begin the cleaning process. I was spinning chips in water for 2 minutes and thought "damn, this doesn't work at all. Maybe the one I purchased was cheap as hell, or maybe when I put them in the water, they will magically clean themselves".

Question for you cleaning wizards. When I removed the chips from the cleaner (after 4 minutes because of my failure to understand machinery), the chips were white almost like a chalky look to them. Is this normal for the cleaning process? I oiled them and they look great now, but I'm wondering if this is common, or just a result of letting them sit in TSP for an extended period of time.

1st cleaning complete.

Lesson learned:
You actually have to turn the ultrasonic cleaner on to begin the cleaning process. I was spinning chips in water for 2 minutes and thought "damn, this doesn't work at all. Maybe the one I purchased was cheap as hell, or maybe when I put them in the water, they will magically clean themselves".

Question for you cleaning wizards. When I removed the chips from the cleaner (after 4 minutes because of my failure to understand machinery), the chips were white almost like a chalky look to them. Is this normal for the cleaning process? I oiled them and they look great now, but I'm wondering if this is common, or just a result of letting them sit in TSP for an extended period of time.
Yes the chips get dried out from the cleaning process it’s normal but prolonged exposure to TSP can lead to permanent fading

1st cleaning complete.

Lesson learned:

In general, I wouldn't say they are "chalky" when removed from the TSP. Did you use the proper water/TSP ratio from the original post? Did you use distilled water. Could be the prolonged exposure. Did you use "fake TSP" or actual TSP? What chip color? Was it red by any chance? Reds seem to have the faded appearance more than others.

In general, I wouldn't say they are "chalky" when removed from the TSP. Did you use the proper water/TSP ratio from the original post? Did you use distilled water. Could be the prolonged exposure. Did you use "fake TSP" or actual TSP? What chip color? Was it red by any chance? Reds seem to have the faded appearance more than others.
Here’s a before and after shot of the chips:
7F6B5558-1E54-4A9F-A31C-3677BBCAF14F.jpeg

After:
476A2AB2-12FA-44B6-9816-105E5F99DDEC.jpeg

You can only really tell on the edges the whiteness that appears, but after oiling, they were fine. I tested these before I started putting actual sets in the ultrasonic. After I oiled them, they seem to be fine. I used the TSP from Lowe’s which is located on Page 3 of this thread.

Here’s a before and after shot of the chips:
View attachment 761712

After:
View attachment 761713

You can only really tell on the edges the whiteness that appears, but after oiling, they were fine. I tested these before I started putting actual sets in the ultrasonic. After I oiled them, they seem to be fine. I used the TSP from Lowe’s which is located on Page 3 of this thread.
Those look pretty much normal to me. Yeah... the oiling brings the color back. The TSP from Lowe's on page 3 appears to be the Savogran, real TSP. I happen to use the "fake" TSP (sodium metisillicate).... but again, my results are similar to yours.

Agreed that they’ll feel a bit dry and almost chalky once they come out.

oiling them up or just shuffling a few in your hands for a few minutes will return them to the color they were before, which was likely the result of oil/grease/hooker juice from years of use

I have found cleaning with TSP (fake or real) in the ultrasonic to be consistent with manual cleaning with OxiClean as far as "dryness" is concerned. In my experience, color has always returned with oiling.

Cleaning manually with Dawn tends to leave the chip with a "less dry" appearance.

So if you are accustomed to cleaning with Dawn before moving to the ultrasonic, I can see why the dryness appears to be a concern... but its normal.

so I finally pulled the trigger on this one

https://www.vevor.com/products/vevo...l-stainless-steel?_pos=2&_sid=13b6c19cc&_ss=r

its a 15L I got it for $179.99 after a $10 off coupon

I just hope I get the one thats in the picture I was reading reviews that alot of times at vevor.com they send you the wrong one
Looks good to me! Honestly for general cleaning I think we’re all probably reading way too much into specific models and power and what not. Mechanically they all function very similarly. Unless you’re trying to exactly replicate the steps results of someone, you’ll most likely be fine with whatever

Magic eraser? Keep it wet with a lot of dawn.
Should the magic eraser be the color of the chip after use? I used a magic eraser "sheet" my wife had under the sink and it worked amazingly well to clean the chips but looked like it was removing more than grime.

Magic eraser is definitely an abrasive, so some chip color transfer onto the eraser is normal. Definitely had to happen with my HSI secondary snappers, Sycuan $1s, and Jack cinci $1000s

I try to keep things as wet as possible and go in super gentle light circles.

if you’ve got it soaped you, you really don’t need a ton of pressure to slowly clean them up.

People with newer chips occasionally shy away from using magic erasers because it’s possible to wear away some of the cross hatching on newer paulsons

Ok, thanks for the tip. Yeah, my jack cinci 1k's were the worst. Some pink .50 Ameristar's were bad too. Are some palsons softer than others or can you just see it worst on certain colors?

Ok, thanks for the tip. Yeah, my jack cinci 1k's were the worst. Some pink .50 Ameristar's were bad too. Are some palsons softer than others or can you just see it worst on certain colors?
I’m far from an expert on paulson’s clay, but if I were to make an educated guess, Probably Yes and Yes.

posted this in another thread but I did some cleaning this past weekend as well.
I wonder if easing up on the heat an/or chemicals would help with less dryness.
I was happy that my results did not have any dryness or fading.

I did 5 caps of simple green and 40C water filled maybe halfway up basket. 40 chips max at a time. Drained and refill after about 100-120 chips.
Here is before and after and these have no oil on them.

20211204_145804.jpg

20211204_161748.jpg

Middle Barrel
20211204_162320.jpg

Also a friend on here @GetUrShineBox got a bunch of Majestic Stars.
Those reds look tough to deal with but we may run some tests and see if we can clean them in the same manor with hopefully similar results.
Will report back.

Red chips tend to show more dryness but a little oil and handling makes them shine again
But be careful, it's also really easy to fade red, especially if you go to hot with the water when cleaning them. I have some Native Lights $5s which i purchased post fading (i knew in advance they qere faded and got a good deal).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom