UK got issues - tips appreciated (1 Viewer)

BagsOChips

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Feel like I'm pulling my hair out trying to find some affordable chips. I've got a low budget (couple of hundred pounds) and I'm looking to get a nice set of cash chips for my home game.

The problem is The UK seems to be a dead zone for chips. I've looked at a couple of sites and they're either not what I'm after or they just don't stock the right denominations. For example, I bought a few Lucky Dragons as a tester and quite liked the feel but when I went to buy some they didn't have enough 5s or 25s and just didn't have the 100s at all.

I'd be interested in maybe getting some China clays but the price seems to be more expensive than ceramics. Also, shipping and import fees seem to just make the chips cost soar.

Anyway, rant over. Was wondering if anyone had any tips on finding some decent chips in the UK?

There’s are a few UK and EU members here with sets. Plus almost all the chips here sold by US based chippers can be exported. Lots of people here get TCR sets and then ship them to thier home country.

There’s are a few UK and EU members here with sets. Plus almost all the chips here sold by US based chippers can be exported. Lots of people here get TCR sets and then ship them to thier home country.
Sorry very rookie question here, what's TCR? (I'm still getting the lingo down)

Getting in on the next cards mold GB is probably your only option with a budget up to £200.

Or if you can stretch to £300 find a friendly re-shipper to help you dodge the import fees (which seem massively unfair considering the product just doesn’t exist in the UK) on a china clay set from somewhere like Apache.

But you’re right, getting quality poker gear into the UK ain’t cheap or easy…

UK Chipper here. I've had slugs, china clays and paulsons. Knowing what I know now, i'd just skip straight to paulson if I were to do it all again, but if you need chips immediately to run a game, don't worry too much about getting something nice and flashy as a first set. Put the money away and get yourself something worthwhile when the time comes and get something cheap for now.

The monte carlo's on Apache are 20c a chip and other than being a bit heavy, they would do for a few games until you can afford what you are looking for.

If you have your heart set on some china clays, i'd recommend the royals over the majestics, i've had 39mm china's before and I don't think that they stack the best. The royals are 43mm so I think they would stack considerably better.

I hope you find what you are looking for :)

Thanks guys. @London24 I think you're right tbh and £300 is probably a decent amount I could stretch too. I'll have to look at reshippers and how that all works.

@AlwaysDefend I think Paulson's might be a bit out of my reach. I'm considering ceramics too. @Hobbyphilic just posted a quick review of the Slowplay ceramics and I might end up going for them as you can get them over here and they look quite smart. Obviously very different from the clays in design though.

Hey guys,

Feel like I'm pulling my hair out trying to find some affordable chips. I've got a low budget (couple of hundred pounds) and I'm looking to get a nice set of cash chips for my home game.

The problem is The UK seems to be a dead zone for chips. I've looked at a couple of sites and they're either not what I'm after or they just don't stock the right denominations. For example, I bought a few Lucky Dragons as a tester and quite liked the feel but when I went to buy some they didn't have enough 5s or 25s and just didn't have the 100s at all.

I'd be interested in maybe getting some China clays but the price seems to be more expensive than ceramics. Also, shipping and import fees seem to just make the chips cost soar.

Anyway, rant over. Was wondering if anyone had any tips on finding some decent chips in the UK?
Having a real nightmare too - have a good budget but still nothing available. Did you find something in the end?

I bought a few Lucky Dragons as a tester and quite liked the feel but when I went to buy some they didn't have enough 5s or 25s and just didn't have the 100s at all.

Sorry mate that was me buying my latest set. Cleaned some of their denominations out. They said they don't have plans to get any more in a hurry, unfortunately (I still need some more myself lol).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom