True Anti Flipping Experiment? Traveling Set of the Ya Ya Chipperhood (1 Viewer)

Venturalvn

Full House
Reaction score
Was pondering an experiment the other day, and was wondering how successful it could be, or if the community would ever glob on to it.

A CPC set is created by a member. The set is played with for a couple months, and then sold to a waiting list of sign ups at the ORIGINAL CPC COST, and the buyer covers shipping. The new buyer plays with it for a couple months, and then sells to the next in line on the waitlist.

Essentially it would be a traveling community set, "rented" for the price of flat rate shipping. Obviously someone at the end is paying for the set, or the original creator can end up being the return point.

This would likely be most successful with a pretty generic base set. 600 chips to easily fit in a MFRB, a 600 bird cage, and an Apache 2800. The set would have to be made on a classic mold (HHR, small crown, CSQ). The set would have to be rudimentary for both costs and for interest in having it pass through a game but not fall off the back of the truck. Level 1 pricing for frac through $5, maybe up to level 3 pricing for $25/$100.

Would something like this ever work in our community?

thought about something similar a while ago with one of my Paulson sets.. sort of a rental/borrow (just pay shipping costs)
pass it around (you can have it for 3 or 4 months, then send it on)..
I wouldn't want to take on too much risk (fall off the back of a truck) so I would hold a deposit from the party until it moved on to the next (but deposit would have to be substantial - close to the cost of the set)..
Not sure it was feasible as I figured someone could just use that "deposit" money to buy a set they wanted, then just sell it four months later (aka rental)

I have a 90-day chunk of my year where I’m basically unavailable to any outside commitment (poker in this case) due to work. I pondered loan/renting a set in this thread - it seemed the risks generally outweighed the possible benefits in a “public” loan/rental, at least at that time.

But it also seems that several chippers have loaned sets to other trusted chippers/friends without issue.

Also, I’m following and interested in the concept! A suggestion I have would be that the set comes with some sort of log book where borrowers contribute stories and anecdotes of the set’s travels and games - dates and locations in play, biggest hands and pots, etc.

I like the concept but even at original CPC pricing (which is odd in and of itself since used CPCs depreciate in a way that Paulsons do not) I’m not sure how many people are going to want to pony up $1500 for somebody else’s used customs, hoping somebody will relieve them of that expense in a few months.

I have a 90-day chunk of my year where I’m basically unavailable to any outside commitment (poker in this case) due to work. I pondered loan/renting a set in this thread - it seemed the risks generally outweighed the possible benefits in a “public” loan/rental, at least at that time.

But it also seems that several chippers have loaned sets to other trusted chippers/friends without issue.

Also, I’m following and interested in the concept! A suggestion I have would be that the set comes with some sort of log book where borrowers contribute stories and anecdotes of the set’s travels and games - dates and locations in play, biggest hands and pots, etc.
Yeah, I think this would be a primary goal. Especially for a set as hard as CPC, it would be very cool to see where and tear on a traveling set that actually gets put to use, taken to meet ups, past the round to value community members, and a history to be told.

I think a travelling CPC set would not get to the heart of the flipping issue.

A travelling TRK set may. Personally, I find it highly unlikely that when someone offers your 2x or 3x the cost that you're gonna say no and pass it on to the next chipper.

I don't think the idea would be to sell the set per se. It would be to use the sale price as a deposit which would be returned when the next person of mine took the set. Ultimately, the first purchase price will be the last purchase price, and would be belabored upon the creator of the set.

How about the price goes down some set amount ($50-100?) for every cycle of use and only goes into production initially with a wait-list of 10 people or more? That way the chip set becomes cheaper as it gets more use and whomever is at the end of the line actually has the option of keeping the set for a significant discount (which obviously also makes it easier to sell back to the wider public).

I've sent my sets to other groups to play for a few weeks and send back. Generally if you have a good relationship, it's not a big thing. it's just doing it during times where the heat won't damage the sets during transport.

There would have to be some kind of collateral held by the sending party from the new recipient(s) for it to work. Otherwise sets disappearing off the face of the earth is going to happen too often.

I don't mean to thread crap at all, but I like the concept of a rental business much better for high end sets. Want an unobtanium TRK set for your meetup to show off to other friends? $500 for the weekend. Or just having a game that weekend and want a different Paulson set of IOC's per example? $100. But there has to be some kind of insurance rider built in to account for damage or loss to chips in the set, and /or some kind of release agreed upon that whoever is at fault for the damage/loss is responsible for replacing or reimbursing an appropriate amount. Can get messy. Could work with custom CPC sets in which chips are "replaceable " and can be remade. But maybe not so much for rare Paulsons and TRK's in which there's a finite amount.

Just spit balling...

I suppose my goal was not to do with money at all - but rather as a reaction to flipping in the community. This would be a community-first concept, and like @dmoney mentioned, a momento of decades worth of the hobby. The money being sent to rent the set would be the collateral.

Perhaps this could be a new age 'group buy'.

Where 3 or 4 chippers get together for a custom set to 'share'.

A few ways to go about it.

Timeshare: Everyone splits the cost evenly upfront and then set up a schedule for who would have possession. Probably work best for folks who are close by to one another geographically and of course trust one another.

Buy/sell: One person buys it from CPC directly. Then others send payment and it gets shipped to them.

The key is a design that everyone involved is fully on board for. That's a difficult thing. Most times people need to make concessions on group projects.

Custom CPCs are really hard to sell. Take a look at the classified ads. There's usually at least one set just sitting where someone paid +$4k and not a whiff of interest when they try to move on. Because why would anyone pay that much for CPCs? May as well come up with your own personalized design.

Another consideration is damage or loss of the set due to shipping it over and over again.
Loss of chips for sure, and wear and tear is inevitable. I think with a chip as hardy as CPC clay would hold up to it pretty well, but I think the wear and tear would also add to the traveling pants (or whatever, I honestly have no idea what the book or movie is about).

This would work until it didn't. Too high risk even among established members without collateral. We've had a lot of FROR at cost situations gone back upon and this would be similar "incentive" depending on the set.

I realize this isn’t even the point and it would bet difficult to execute, given how CPC operates. But if each denom in this set were done on a different mold, then you’d have something worth something. Play this set to evaluate which mold you like best!

Last edited:
I realize this isn’t even the point and it would bet difficult to execute, given how CPC operates. But if each chip in this set were done on a different mold, then you’d have something worth something. Play this set to evaluate which mold you like best!
I like this idea. I could get behind this.

A travelling full scale sample set.

Different molds, inlays, rainbow of colors and edgespots.

I've sent my sets to other groups to play for a few weeks and send back. Generally if you have a good relationship, it's not a big thing. it's just doing it during times where the heat won't damage the sets during transport.
Can confirm. My group LOVED playing a few games with the Pete's.

I realize this isn’t even the point and it would bet difficult to execute, given how CPC operates. But if each chip in this set were done on a different mold, then you’d have something worth something. Play this set to evaluate which mold you like best!

Great idea. And although it would take time, it would be possible if each rack was an add-on to someone else's order. With a 600 chip cash set (100/200/200/80/20) you could have 7 different molds or even more if getting barrels instead of racks.

This ... This is thinking with your brain...

I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to get molds in play or in quantity before drawing up my next CPC set.

This ... This is thinking with your brain...

I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to get molds in play or in quantity before drawing up my next CPC set.
And definitely do some bounty chips or high denoms on the oversized A and Scroll molds. They’re really a hidden gem to PCF. How many people have handled the 44mm scroll mold? THEY’RE SPECTACULAR!

And definitely do some bounty chips or high denoms on the oversized A and Scroll molds. They’re really a hidden gem to PCF. How many people have handled the 44mm scroll mold? THEY’RE SPECTACULAR!
The 44mm are great! I don't love the look of scroll, but they handle really well and the oversized option is great!

I think this would be best done among a small group of people who know/trust each other, who would each send each other a playable set on loan. No cash involved.

Say, six people, six sets. I’d prefer at least 4-6 months with each.

That way collateral and variety are built in. And if someone disappears, there’s going to be five people looking for his head on a pike, not just one.

Could be any kind of chips, as long as they are all of the same type (say 1/2 cash).

Would be a pain to arrange at first but then could be a lot of fun.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom