Tourney Tournament Denominations (1 Viewer)

One general rule-of-thumb is don't use denominations that can't be combined to make change (like 10c and 25c, or 10 and 25).

And to answer your OP question: yes, tournament sets with T500 / T2000 / T10000 denominations (vs T500 / T1000 / T5000) do exist, although they come with a few caveats:

-- more T500 chips will be needed, and for a longer period of time before color-ups
-- denominations should be clearly marked, and T2000 chips should not use colors normally associated with T1000 chips to avoid confusion
-- T2000 sets work best for larger starting stacks and/or larger player fields (not recommended for fields of less than 20 players with 20k stacks -- 500k+ total chips in play for best results)

One general rule-of-thumb is don't use denominations that can't be combined to make change (like 10c and 25c, or 10 and 25).

And to answer your OP question: yes, tournament sets with T500 / T2000 / T10000 denominations (vs T500 / T1000 / T5000) do exist, although they come with a few caveats:

-- more T500 chips will be needed, and for a longer period of time before color-ups
-- denominations should be clearly marked, and T2000 chips should not use colors normally associated with T1000 chips to avoid confusion
-- T2000 sets work best for larger starting stacks and/or larger player fields (not recommended for fields of less than 20 players with 20k stacks -- 500k+ total chips in play for best results)
Ya, I think I saw some of your posts from a previous thread someone linked me. And we currently use 0.05, 0.10, 0.25, 1, 5, 10 in a 500 chip set I have. But I wanted to see if I can’t shrink it down as we don’t have that many players. Just looking at different options and combinations to see what can or cannot work. Thanks for the info!

I’d have to experiment a bit but what happens right now is our small blind starts at $0.05, and each starting hand has 5 or ten of them, depending on how many people are playing. Since the big blind is $0.10, a standard bet for us is $0.20 or $0.30. And to place that bet most people use the $0.10 chips because it’s easier and honestly we typically don’t have enough $0.05 chips.

So the solution (or the easy solution) is just doing $0.05, $0.25, $1, $5 as a standard but part of me wants to experiment and get a good balance of having many different chip colours/denominations as possible with a small set.

Part of this idea is because I bought the 600 chip bird cage and I’d love to be able to store two separate 300 chip sets so we can mix it up and play with different sets depending on the night. And ideally the sets would play out the exact same way with the same starting hands and blinds.

Maybe it’s not worth the effort but I’d like to see what I can do.
I also just wanted to say, that after looking at the standard tournament set that starts at T100, I just realized why I’m having much trouble trying to use dollar value micro chips…it’s because I would need a $0.50 chip…..duh.

So if I did 300 chips of:
$0.10 x 100
$0.50 x 60
$1 x 60
$5 x 60
$10 x 20
$25 x 10 (plaques)

With a starting stack of $20 being:
10x$0.10 = $1
6x$0.50 = $3
6x$1 = $6
2x$5 = $10

This would solve my problems…ironic thing is years ago when we started playing with dice chips we used the blue chip as a $0.50 chip haha

You don’t need $25 chips/plaques unless you will be having lots of rebuys and an add on.
You barely need $10 chips as it is so you might want to consider they as plaques if that’s your thing.

I also just wanted to say, that after looking at the standard tournament set that starts at T100, I just realized why I’m having much trouble trying to use dollar value micro chips…it’s because I would need a $0.50 chip…..duh.

$0.10 x 100
$0.50 x 60
$1 x 60
$5 x 60
$10 x 20
$25 x 10 (plaques)

10x$0.10 = $1
6x$0.50 = $3
6x$1 = $6
2x$5 = $10

This would solve my problems…ironic thing is years ago when we started playing with dice chips we used the blue chip as a $0.50 chip haha

$0.10 x 100
$0.50 x 60
$1 x 60
$5 x 60
$10 x 20
$25 x 10 (plaques)

10x$0.10 = $1
6x$0.50 = $3
6x$1 = $6
2x$5 = $10

You are right, I just threw that together last minute as I thought about the chip values and how they relate. I thought previously about having plaques as $10 and then like 1 or 2 $25 plaques just for the big dog at the table. I honestly just filled out the rest of the chips as I needed 300 for a full set. If I was doing a set with the above I would add more small chips to allow for more chips on the table and to reduce the total $ value of the set.

You don’t need $25 chips/plaques unless you will be having lots of rebuys and an add on.
You barely need $10 chips as it is so you might want to consider they as plaques if that’s your thing.
I replied to the wrong comment, but see above…you are right in this comment and I would need to rejig things as appropriate

I replied to the wrong comment, but see above…you are right in this comment and I would need to rejig things as appropriate

I like lots of chips on the table, not a ridiculous amount like they have on TV (although I wouldn’t mind it, lol) but enough where when the last two players are heads up I think they should have at least 3 barrels in front of them (if they have even stacks) which is 120+ chips on the table after color ups. So in your set up I would want there to roughly be 100-$1’s and the rest $5’s.
Use that visualization when determining your set too because if you like more chips than less maybe even $5’s would be your highest denomination.
Again this all depends on if you do rebuys/add ons.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom