Tourney What are your tournament parameters? (1 Viewer)

How long are your levels?
Typically 20 minute levels. Occasionally 15 to 18 minutes, if trying to accommodate a specific time frame. Season-ending championship game uses 25-minute levels (8 players, ~9 hours).

Just trying to get a (mostly) quantitative sense of what people are doing nowadays

1. Usual number of tables/players?
2. Buy in amount? Rebuys allowed?
3. Tournament structure (T100, T500, T1000, etc.). Base chip (T1, T5, T25, etc.)
4. Is your game A. All tournament, B. Mostly tournament, C. Split, D. Mostly Cash/Occasional tournament
5. Why did you pick/settle on your particular structure?

Cash game is king in my area. That said, I do miss being able to play in an occasional tournament.

Answers base on a weekly or bi monthly tournament, unless noted otherwise.

Ideally...

1) My preference would be a MTT comprised of 18 to 25 players.
Wouldn't mind playing a ST tournament of nine or ten with a good group of players who make the game fun.

2) $45 or $50 for a STT, (group dependent), $80 or $100 for a MTT. (Would be happy to play in a monthly $200 MTT) -- Not a fan of add-ons.
All of the home game tournaments I have played allow either a single re-buy or have unlimited re-buys. I use to strongly favor the single re-buy format, but now that is unimportant to me providing there is a sensible cut-off time.

3) All the tournaments I have played had either a T10 or a T25 as their base chip.

4) I am able to play in three different cash games during the week, therefore I would rather just spend the evening playing in a tournament that didn't have a cash game afterwards.

Last edited:
Just trying to get a (mostly) quantitative sense of what people are doing nowadays

1-2 Tables. Special events with months notice usually get 12-14 players, otherwise 6-9 is pretty normal

For tournaments, $20-$50 or so. Occasionally will player higher. For cash games, I like 50¢-50¢ 60 max buy in, or 50¢-1 with a 150 max buy in. I am considering going to 200x BB for the max this year. Of course rebuys are allowed in cash. In tournaments I typically do a rebuy period of at least an hour of play.

3. Tournament structure (T100, T500, T1000, etc.). Base chip (T1, T5, T25, etc.)
I love base T500 structure for tournaments.
1) The easiest color up is the first one, and that's nice because it applies to the most players.
2) The break pattern starts with a nice pattern containing 5 levels then a break. Play 500-1000, 500-1500, 1000-2000, 1500-3000, break, then play 2k-4k, 3k-6k, 4k-8k, 6k-12k, 8k-16k break.

4. Is your game A. All tournament, B. Mostly tournament, C. Split, D. Mostly Cash/Occasional tournament
Mostly Cash/Occasional tournament, though I have been accepting of tournaments a little more frequently since it appears they get a better turnout.

Mostly host's choice, but trying to meet where the most players are as far as their stakes for playing.

1. We are averaging between 12 and 17 players (two tables), but I anticipate that growing to 20-25+ soon. Our largest game was 17 players back when my list was about 20 invitees. We not have a list of 35+ And we play about every 6 weeks (with some longer breaks around the holidays and in the summer.

2. Our regular game is a $20 buy-in, single re-entry ($5 bounty). We will also be running some special events to keep things fun this year. We are running a six-event “season” with a points race for Player of the Year and a final freeroll Championship Event. One of our six events will be an unlimited rebuy event with shorter stacks to juice the action. One will be a mystery bounty event. One will be a double-stakes freezeout. And I might also steal an idea from this thread and do a sort of all-in-one “reload” type of event ($30 buy-in with a re-buy chip that can be used to rebuy if you bust or add-on at the end of the rebuy period for more chips if you don’t bust); I like how this structure guarantees a certain amount of play without incentivizing frivolous all-ins.

3. Our standard single re-entry event uses T15,000 stacks and a T25 base chip. Blinds start at 50-100 and escalate pretty quickly because we have mostly very recreational players who want to wrap up in about 3 hours (50-100, 75-150, 125-250, 200-400, 300-600, 500-1000, 800-1600, 1200-2400, 2000-4000, 3000-6000, etc.). Fifteen minute levels. We allow re-buys for the first hour (through Level 4). For the unlimited rebuy event, we will use T10,000 stacks. For the double-stakes Freezeout, we will use T25,000 or T30,000 stacks.

4. We are currently all tournament (A), though I am trying to encourage a cash game after.

5. Catering to the preferences of my very recreational player pool. I did a Jot Form survey at the end of last year to see what people wanted after we had hosted a half dozen games the prior year. The overwhelming response was NLHE only, tournament only, $20-ish buy-in, finish in 2-3 hours, and play 6-ish times per year. Personally, I’d prefer higher buy in (around $50), longer games (4-5 hours, allowing for slower blind increases), more frequent games, and mixing in some cash games with non-Hold Em variants. But to keep a critical mass Of players in my games, I had to go with what the people wanted.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom