Tools/templates for the job (Inlay design) (1 Viewer)

Samoth311

Pair
Reaction score
I've decided that I want to take a stab at a custom CPC set.

What is the best tool/program to design the inlay? What are you using?

I have Photoshop although I'm far from an advanced user. If I use Photoshop, is there a template out there? I see the CPC template at the bottom of the Design Tool (in PDF format)--which includes some boundaries and instructions:

1617804673771.png

But I'm not sure how to translate this into a useable template in Photohsop (One where the image is the correct size and I can see the boundaries). Or do I just create a 1" circle and fill it in the graphics I want?

Thanks for any help you can give to get me going!

I think Illustrator is best *but* I have designed even using PowerPoint and David has been able to cut and convert as he needs. I still adhered to the template restrictions when it comes to edge and bleed areas. As long as the proportion is correct and the whole inlay design is scalable.

I just went through this. I am literally a pro at Photoshop but a beginner at Illustartor so I designed most things in Photoshop and then vectorize if necessary. I submitted my order and designs created in Photoshop via Tiff file and used these “templates”. David said there was literally no difference in quality of output as long as your rasterized file is sized exactly correct.

I didn’t find that pdf useful myself. But basically, create a file 600x600 file (1”x1” at 600dpi) and then create a 7/8” circle centered within it as your working space. If you have a background color or image you can just bleed that all the way out to the edge of the file or at least some threshold beyond the circle. Delete or hide the circle when you are done designing.

Illustrator my preference, but if you know what you are doing photoshop is suitable too. Often you'll use PS and AI in tandem. For your application:
  1. Open a photoshop file in CMYK colour space, 1" x 1" @ 300dpi. (you could go 600 dpi but not really necessary)
  2. In a new layer, draw a 1" circle - this is the finished size guide
  3. In a new layer, draw a .875" circle inside of that - this is your "safe area" guide
  4. On the menu bar open Image > Canvas Size and enter:
    1. Width 0.1 Inches
    2. Height 0.1 inches
    3. Ensure the "Relative" box is checked
  5. You now have your "bleed" area if required.
  6. Go to down with your design. don't worry about cropping it to a circle, but you can if you like.
That's it in a nutshell.

Wow, thanks! This is excellent advice and exactly the kind of instruction I was looking for. Thanks again!

The instructions were great. I did a simple faux-Bellagio to just test it out. The image in Chip Designer looks washed out (no real blacks) vs the uploaded image. Does anyone know if the actual product would be washed out this way?

1617838278929.png

1617838314160.png

I haven’t uploaded a dark background inlay to the CPC tool but in general I don’t worry about what it looks like there. If you have a jpeg or tiff image set to CMYK (not that CMYK would matter for the display in the tool) I know it will print right.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom