Tool Review Thread (1 Viewer)

A little different than other posts in this thread, but for inexpensive home-use tools, I've been pretty happy with the (Amazon only?) brand Tacklife. In the past couple of years, I've bought a heat gun, drain auger, and jigsaw. All have been well made and held up under moderate use.

The heat gun gets a lot of use, between defrosting the refrigerator, roasting coffee, and a variety of projects that require more hot air than I can naturally produce. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

Speaking of dust collection.
This is one of the best $100 I have ever spent.
For home use where you have mobile tools and not a dedicated dust collection system, this works fantastic.
There is literally nothing that hits my shop vac. No more losing shop vac power and having to clean out the filter - just empty the bucket.

1614793437421.png

Speaking of dust collection.
This is one of the best $100 I have ever spent.
For home use where you have mobile tools and not a dedicated dust collection system, this works fantastic.
There is literally nothing that hits my shop vac. No more losing shop vac power and having to clean out the filter - just empty the bucket.

View attachment 648196
I have the same although the cyclone is fitted on top a 14 gallon barrel. I need to upgrade because my dust collector now has a 4" line and it's severely constricted by this little guy.

I have 2 - one large Dewalt sliding compound miter in my shop for the most precise cuts, and an smaller cheaper Ryobi portable compound miter for outside / framing, where the cuts don't need to as accurate.
All DeWalt sliding 12” standard 10” and the 20v sliding. Then there might be a standard 12” floating around.

I have the same although the cyclone is fitted on top a 14 gallon barrel. I need to upgrade because my dust collector now has a 4" line and it's severely constricted by this little guy.
That's a lot of sawdust! Have you tried using a cannon to dispose of it? :D

I’ve done a lot of home reno’s (my place) over the years, Metabo (German) was my 1st cordless drill 12v 30yrs ago still works as my backup today, bulk of my tools now is Dewalt Makita and Bosch (30yr old) and for the home handyman they are fine.
Lots of tradies here in Aus. use Makita Milwaukee Festool.
Just save your money in the long run and bypass any of the cheaper power tools made in China.

Last edited:
Anyone have any experience with Festool plunge routers or sanders?

Not the router, but their sanders are great. Their ETS 125 REQ was my first Festool and I've been hooked ever since. I also have the Rotex 125 and just a few months bought the ETS EC 125. The Rotex is nice because it has the full spiral mode, making it almost as good as a belt sander as well is useful for polishing. But it has a big stroke which isn't good for finish sanding. I use the ETS for that.

I don't have the Festool vacuum, just a regular shop vac with the Festool hose. The dust collection is incredible, I have almost no visible sawdust after doing any sanding with the vacuum hooked up. It also makes the sanding pads last longer because they don't bog down with dust. Be warned though that they have a unique air hole design, so not all sanding pads work with the Festool sanders and their branded sandpapers are pricey. Well worth it though.

On the topic of sanding, Duragrit sanding blocks are very useful. https://duragrit.com/TruSander-Carbide-Hand-Sanding-Block.html
1614840223143.png

Carbide sanding blocks. They last forever and are nice and flat. The sides of the block are also 90 degrees to the sanding face, so if you put the block sideways on a table you can use it like a shooting board. I have the 80 grit and 120 grit and am reaching for them all the time. They have files and rasps as well which I'm probably going to try soon.

Not really a tool but tool related, for those who use pegboard in there workshops. Drill/driver holders that hook into your pegboard via the battery slot:

20210306_172418.jpg

Threaded inserts into pegboard holes:
20210306_133539.jpg

Then screw just screw it in:
20210306_172355.jpg

I found these on Etsy (PegdProducts), they appear to be 3D printed. I got 2 tool holders and a extra battery holder. They make them for a bunch of different tool brands and have a few different configurations. The fit was spot on, very nice pickup for an organization freak... :wtf:

20210306_172450.jpg

Not really a tool but tool related, for those who use pegboard in there workshops. Drill/driver holders that hook into your pegboard via the battery slot:

View attachment 650641

Threaded inserts into pegboard holes:
View attachment 650639

Then screw just screw it in:
View attachment 650644

I found these on Etsy (PegdProducts), they appear to be 3D printed. I got 2 tool holders and a extra battery holder. They make them for a bunch of different tool brands and have a few different configurations. The fit was spot on, very nice pickup for an organization freak... :wtf:

View attachment 650640
Those are pretty sweet. Do they make them for slatwall?

image.jpg

I've been using this cordless DeWalt track saw for a while now. I have the clamps for the track but as long as you are putting on the track on a clean surface, meaning no sawdust under the track, it doesn't move. I use to clamp a straight edge and use a corded circular saw, but I find the track saw a bit easier and faster. Perfect cuts every time.

PXL_20210402_202441595.jpg

PXL_20210402_202456336.jpg

Cordless batteries are the future, just got me a 12inch chainsaw (and then there were 3) got a gasser and electric as well.
The beauty with this little beast is its lighter, no cumbersome extension cord dragging around, no fuel needed or smell, and it’s small footprint makes it perfect for future camping getaway’s.
Got 5Ah batteries and charger to go with it on the way
1621039544107.jpeg

1621039603703.jpeg

My local HD had some great sales recently. I picked some new DeWalt items. Been using them for the last 2 weeks and I'm happy with them so far.

The DeWalt compact, light weight, power stack battery (on right). I find these useful for tools that are big and heavy to begin with or if I need to get into a tight space. (haha)

PXL_20220928_132615847.jpg

The DeWalt crown stapler. I've been building some custom model RR benchwork recently and this tool has saved me a lot of time. I'm building it in modules for easy setup and take down, so some wood glue and the crown staples seems to be a good combo.

PXL_20220928_132627776.jpg

The DeWalt DCV517B cordless vacuum. This is not new. I had this for probably 2 years now. Got it off Amazon. This little vac is awesome. It's comes in handy often. Great for when your kids make a mess too!

PXL_20220928_132652565.jpg

The DeWalt 33 in. Folding Portable Workbench. It's built like a tank but still not too heavy. Supports up to 1000 lbs of poker chips. ;) One button setup.

PXL_20220928_134829198.jpg

PXL_20220928_134912513.jpg

Anyone have a US General tool chest? If so, how is the quality?

Anyone have a US General tool chest? If so, how is the quality?

I have the roller cabinet and I love it for my home tools and stuff! For the money I'm very happy with it. It seems to be well built in terms of quality and the draws slide smoothly when I open/close them. It doesnt feel wobbly nor does the metal feel cheap and thin. I'm sure the chest is probably constructed the same. I bought it in May of 2020 and I have 0 regrets.
Screenshot_20230216_104703_Gallery.jpg

Is that around 26" wide? Not a feature I need but do the drawers have soft close?

Yes, pretty sure it's 26". As for soft close, I  don't think they are. I can confirm when I get home today but I can't 100% say atm. If it helps, I don't recall ever slamming a draw shut.
Screenshot_20230216_105918_Gallery.jpg

The cabinet has different sized draws as you can see, if I had to knock a point off. The top draws basically fit my screw drivers and pliers. The bottom draws are deeper for other tools with the last draw where I have extension cords, tie downs, and other straps stored.

Nice! 26" will fit perfectly. I think I'll be making a trip to Harbor Freight this weekend.

How do you like this stool?

I’ve been thinking about grabbing one
They seem well built. My buddy in MD picked up two for his garage at Tractor Supply about $40 less each than what I paid.

I also have one - in the same blue. The drawers don't have soft close - they have a kind of friction locking feature where you have to push the drawer all the way in until it goes past a stiff bit and then the drawer stays shut. To open requires a little force initially to get past the stiff bit then is very smooth. This locking feature is really there to prevent the drawers from opening when you're rolling the chest around. The more expensive ones (Icon I think) actually have a little button latch than you need to pull to open the drawer initially.

And note that these are really heavy - they loaded it into the back of my jeep (with the back seats folded down) with a lift table but when we got home we essentially had to cut it out of the box, attach the wheels and then three of us lowered it out the back. Since the wheels are in the drawer when packed, you need to make sure it's put drawer side up in the car.

IMG_3542.jpeg
IMG_3543.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom