Tool Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Tommy

Royal Flush
Admin
Supporter
Reaction score
I've been buying a lot of new tools and accessories lately. It would be interesting to see what others have, feedback on them, the brands they prefer, etc.

Hand tools for any electrical work, KLEIN is my go-to brand. I just picked up this precision screwdriver set. The compact case, driver, and bits all feel high quality. What I like about the case that it has a spring-loaded mechanism on the latch, which makes it easy to open and close with one hand.

PXL_20210219_172004809.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08DRVM38X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
I've been buying a lot of new tools and accessories lately. It would be interesting to see what others have, feedback on them, the brands they prefer, etc.

Hand tools for any electrical work, KLEIN is my go-to brand. I just picked up this precision screwdriver set. The compact case, driver, and bits all feel high quality. What I like about the case that it has a spring-loaded mechanism on the latch, which makes it easy to open and close with one hand.

View attachment 639645

Those are all the security torque bits, correct? The kids keep breaking their xbox controller audio jacks and taking those things apart to replace them without the security torque bits is a giant pain in the ass.

I've been a Makita and Bosch guy for years. Makita has been going downhill since they started making them in China. I have 15 year old Makitas still going strong and 2 year old tools that have died already.

Fisch brad point drill bits. Very highly recommended. They stay sharp and cut like butter. I've owned many other brands of drill bits and these are by far the best. They also have Forstner wave cutter bits as well which are premium. Both available at Amazon or semi-specialty tool stores. You won't find them at Home Depot.

1613767541870.png

1613767627119.png

I have a very large collection of M12 and M18 Milwaukee tools, as well as a sizeable collection of Milwaukee PackOut stuff. I’ve been running the Milwaukee tools for quite awhile as an electrician. Started way back when with Makita, then DeWalt, before finally getting into the best of the three in Milwaukee.

I’ve been an electrician for almost 20 years, the hand tools are a mix of Wiha, Klein, and Knipex. Klein quality has gone down from back when I started, much prefer my Wiha 1000V insulated screwdrivers. They feel much better in the hand for all day.

My tool collection has grown a lot over the years, I have a ridiculous amount of stuff by now, especially now when I’m not working and they’re all at home.

How many mitre saws does someone need? I know we have three for sure but not sure if there is another in my brothers garage.

You can never have too many...

I've seen some shops that have 2. One is a standard mitre saw and the other is a sliding saw.

A sled on a table saw works really well for clean accurate cross cuts. William Ng has a great video on building simple cross cut sled that's accurate. It has over 2M views which is massive for a 35+ minute tutorial video. I made one from his video and can attest it works like a charm.

Bessey parallel clamps are awesome as well. Expensive, but well worth it. I have many different style of clamps at my shop but I am always reaching for the parallel K Revo clamps. I buy a pair of them every couple of months. My last pair I bought were the 82" long for the occasional monster poker table like 7' diameter decagons.
1613964014273.png

View attachment 639645

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08DRVM38X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I recently purchased a "complete" tool kit to fix some electronics. Can't recommend it highly enough.

https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Tools/Pro-Tech-Toolkit/IF145-307

How many mitre saws does someone need? I know we have three for sure but not sure if there is another in my brothers garage.
I have 2 - one large Dewalt sliding compound miter in my shop for the most precise cuts, and an smaller cheaper Ryobi portable compound miter for outside / framing, where the cuts don't need to as accurate.

View attachment 639645

I liked it so much I picked up another one to keep with me when I'm at work.

PXL_20210222_040837153.jpg

Buy the best, buy WERA... I also own knipex, wiha and for power tools im all Milwaukee!!!

Knipex makes good stuff. I have a pair of these. I used them to terminate 37 conductor cables in RR CIHs (central instrument houses).

PXL_20210222_050249841.jpg

$42 now, it seems. Prices there seem to work kind of plane tickets.

View attachment 639645

I was at the checkout at MicroCenter the other day (buying filament of course), and they had a little set like this in the checkout aisle. I impulse bought it because I wanted the hex tools for working on my 3D printers.

It's total garbage. Waste of 8 bucks. Don't buy the Inland brand set. I mean, I didn't expect or really need pro quality, but this thing isn't even Harbor Freight quality.

Bosch has always been my go to for hand held powers tools. Once I could afford them.
This year I did pick up a DeWalt mitre sawa and small table saw. I am very happy with both so far.

I was at the checkout at MicroCenter the other day (buying filament of course), and they had a little set like this in the checkout aisle. I impulse bought it because I wanted the hex tools for working on my 3D printers.

It's total garbage. Waste of 8 bucks. Don't buy the Inland brand set. I mean, I didn't expect or really need pro quality, but this thing isn't even Harbor Freight quality.

Two things:
1) I really wish I lived closer to that MicroCenter....it's like Newegg.com threw up in a store :)

2) I recommend iFixit.com tools and kits for computer related bits and stuff, been using them at my job for decades..

Bosch has always been my go to for hand held powers tools. Once I could afford them.
This year I did pick up a DeWalt mitre sawa and small table saw. I am very happy with both so far.

I picked up a DeWalt flex volt track saw with 59" and 102" tracks. My circle saw is getting dusty. :)

Anyone have any experience with Festool plunge routers or sanders?
They are the best and expensive as well. The one thing the Festool does better than anyone else is dust collection - which it why a lot of onsite construction professionals in Europe use them as they don't have cheap labour to clean up after their work. But it'll also mean that you're married to their paper. There's a guy on YouTube called Peter Millard who has done a number of Festool vs cheap-tool comparisons - worth a watch. If I had the money, I'd only by Festool - but I don't so I have a lot of Bosch.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom