Tom Brady Out at NE (1 Viewer)

The one I feel worst for is Julian Edelman. How's he supposed to go on without his best friend? The quote that comes to mind is from Top Gun:
"God he loved flying with you Maverick. But he'd have flown anyway, without you. He'd have hated it, but he would've done it."
I hope the Patriots trade Jules to wherever Tom goes. Because he's earned it.

I’d debate that your stats don’t tell the whole story, but that’s a different conversation lol.

Totally agree.

A bad day for Brady, is still better than 75% of NFL QB's on their best day.

And this is complete speculation on my part, but I just don't think he can outrun age anymore. I'm also not entirely sure that he's gonna get the same cushy referee treatment outside of NE. I know that's a touchy subject, but its impact is quantifiable.

Totally agree.

A bad day for Brady, is still better than 75% of NFL QB's on their best day.

And this is complete speculation on my part, but I just don't think he can outrun age anymore. I'm also not entirely sure that he's gonna get the same cushy referee treatment outside of NE. I know that's a touchy subject, but its impact is quantifiable.
I think that’s a fair assessment. I have to see him lose with offensive talent before I say we can see a decline.

What do you remember about Joe Namath, Franco Harris and Jerry Rice? That they were winners, champions and legends for the Jets, Steelers and 49ers, respectively. You don’t think about them as wash-ups for the Rams, Seahawks and Oakland/Seattle/Denver.

Folks are unlikely to remember if Brady goes to another team and he can’t win it all (likely) or even get to the playoffs (possible, but less likely).

However, if he pulls a Manning and takes them all the way and they get a win then they’ll remember that.

Which ties into skill: you don’t have to Throw for 5k and 50 TDs to get to and win the super bowl. Manning didn’t even start every game that year. You just have to be smart enough and not bad enough as well as have the right supporting team: a beast of a defense and a capable offense.

Would I hope he hangs up the cleats and goes out on top? Of course, the guy is on the Rushmore of QBs and that’s a nice finish. But, if someone is really going to throw him $60 mil for 2 years that would be hard to pass up, no matter how much money he already has. Plus the chance to keep playing and competing and possibly bring home another championship.

Is he the quarterback he once was? No. Will he ever be again? No. Will his skills continue to decline? Yes, and relatively rapidly given the age. Does that mean he couldn’t positively contribute to a championship? Absolutely not.

Someone will pay the man if he wants to play.

What do you remember about Joe Namath, Franco Harris and Jerry Rice? That they were winners, champions and legends for the Jets, Steelers and 49ers, respectively. You don’t think about them as wash-ups for the Rams, Seahawks and Oakland/Seattle/Denver.

Folks are unlikely to remember if Brady goes to another team and he can’t win it all (likely) or even get to the playoffs (possible, but less likely).

However, if he pulls a Manning and takes them all the way and they get a win then they’ll remember that.

Which ties into skill: you don’t have to Throw for 5k and 50 TDs to get to and win the super bowl. Manning didn’t even start every game that year. You just have to be smart enough and not bad enough as well as have the right supporting team: a beast of a defense and a capable offense.

Would I hope he hangs up the cleats and goes out on top? Of course, the guy is on the Rushmore of QBs and that’s a nice finish. But, if someone is really going to throw him $60 mil for 2 years that would be hard to pass up, no matter how much money he already has. Plus the chance to keep playing and competing and possibly bring home another championship.

Is he the quarterback he once was? No. Will he ever be again? No. Will his skills continue to decline? Yes, and relatively rapidly given the age. Does that mean he couldn’t positively contribute to a championship? Absolutely not.

Someone will pay the man if he wants to play.
I’m young, so hopefully I’m not speaking out the side of my neck, but this is a slightly different circumstance. We’re in the age of digital media, and Tom Brady and Bill are tied together in the minds of every single casual to serious sports fan in the world.

So sure, maybe people can move on and not do well and maintain their image. But if Brady moves on, and fails (and Patriots continue success)? Then he will never escape the questions of, was he just a cog in the machine of BB like so many others?

If he ends up with the Bucs, Godwin and Evans are beasts. Not to mention that AB has stated over and over that he is only playing with Tom so I can bet that they end up suiting up together wherever they go. Could be a pretty electric offense.

I’m young, so hopefully I’m not speaking out the side of my neck, but this is a slightly different circumstance. We’re in the age of digital media, and Tom Brady and Bill are tied together in the minds of every single casual to serious sports fan in the world.

So sure, maybe people can move on and not do well and maintain their image. But if Brady moves on, and fails (and Patriots continue success)? Then he will never escape the questions of, was he just a cog in the machine of BB like so many others?
This is such a pain in my ass, but unfortunately, this is very true.
I never get the idea that Brady is a “COG” cause my argument is Brady has played for multiple OCs (Weiss, McDaniels, O’Brien, and McDaniels) and the offense has seen many changes. He went from game manager in his first two years to air raid with Moss, Stallworth, Welker, and co. Then played with 2 amazing TEs in Hernandez and Gronk (Hernandez was regarded as the better of the two when he was playing).

The one crazy (but truthful)argument that can be made against my QB, is that there was no stretch of time where Tom was the unquestioned best QB in the league. That’s crazy to me.

This is such a pain in my ass, but unfortunately, this is very true.
I never get the idea that Brady is a “COG” cause my argument is Brady has played for multiple OCs (Weiss, McDaniels, O’Brien, and McDaniels) and the offense has seen many changes. He went from game manager in his first two years to air raid with Moss, Stallworth, Welker, and co. Then played with 2 amazing TEs in Hernandez and Gronk (Hernandez was regarded as the better of the two when he was playing).

The one crazy (but truthful)argument that can be made against my QB, is that there was no stretch of time where Tom was the unquestioned best QB in the league. That’s crazy to me.
Idk man 2006 to 2011 and 2014 to 2018 were pretty good stretches for Tom lol. Sure, he wasn't #1 in every category but in his numbers in combination with games won were bonkers. And there's no QB in existence that for 10 years consistently was the best because no QB has won more than Brady. So we'd have to talk about what the metric is that we're using to rate this.

I’m not betting against the, probably, greatest ever until he shows me he is done. And even then I won’t make a big deal about it because Father Time and Mother Nature are undefeated and it doesn’t take an enlightened person to say “he’s done, he sucks” every year until it’s right. People have been saying he’s done for years now and are frothing at the mouth to put the nails in his career/coffin.

As a bronco fan I should hate the Patriots, without them in the conference the last twenty years maybe the Broncos have a little more success. But I don’t. I’m in awe of greatness and the patriots of the last twenty years are something we probably won’t see again in sports. The best ever. I’m not betting against the Brady part of that until he hangs up his cleats. People that say “he’s done” every year until he actually is then go “see, I was right, he’s a has been” are the same people who love to argue that because the Patriots play in the AFC East that’s why they have all those wins. “Put then in a different division where there is competition and they won’t do as good”—lol except for the small fact that the Patriots have beaten the rest of the nfl at the same rate as their own division over the last twenty years.

People said the same thing when the Broncos signed manning and ware. All those players did for a few years was set all time records, play at a pro bowl level, and win a Super Bowl before they were actually “done”.

Idk man 2006 to 2011 and 2014 to 2018 were pretty good stretches for Tom lol. Sure, he wasn't #1 in every category but in his numbers in combination with games won were bonkers. And there's no QB in existence that for 10 years consistently was the best because no QB has won more than Brady. So we'd have to talk about what the metric is that we're using to rate this.
That’s fair.

News cycles and methods were also very different in the span of time I mentioned: TV and media coverage (including the introduction of the internet’s) exploded exponentially between Namath and Rice.

The more things change, the more they stay the same. The news cycle these days is what? 15 seconds? People will move beyond a story like that (ANY story, actually) faster than any of us care to know.

I also don’t concur with the inescapable bond between player-coach. Those have existed before (Montana/Rice - Walsh; Jordan - Jackson; Kobe/Shaq- Jackson), and they don’t define players now. Kurt Warner is in the HOF, and he was a “COG” during the “greatest show on turf”.

The cog question exists now for Brady for some reason - I guess 20 years of superior achievement capped by 6 championships in 9 appearances isn’t enough to shake all the cog-ers. People will always ruminate.

Because the Patriots are one of the best organizations in pro sports and put together better teams does that benefit Brady and give him a better shot at winning championships? Sure, but that’s a constant in all pro sports where the difference between first and last is razor thin, despite the disparity in records. “Any given Sunday...”, etc.

I should note, for the record, that I am absolutely not a NE/Brady fan. But, you simply have to respect the sustained excellence.

Leaks coming out that TB is the confirmed landing spot for TB... apparently he'll announce tomorrow.

1584469941936.png

1584469991503.png

I also don’t concur with the inescapable bond between player-coach. Those have existed before (Montana/Rice - Walsh; Jordan - Jackson; Kobe/Shaq- Jackson), and they don’t define players now.
I agree with your whole post, and I can say job well done to the Pats despite obviously not liking them (Raiders fan). But you also proved my exact point with probably the best example in the world lol.

Jackson was a beast. He goes somewhere and they win, Hall of Famer. So wise, the Zen master, books sell out in a moment. But, there was the lingering question, could anyone lose with Jordan and Kobe? Was the triangle offense really getting the most juice out of D Fish and Big Shot Bob and all them, or is it simply Kobe and Shaq. Eh, move on, who cares.

Well, after he falls flat on his face (New York) after moving on, including watching his triangle run to death to some of the worst advanced metrics in quite some time, well he definitely lost major luster. I wouldn’t say his career has a question mark, but his success is sure as shit now solidified as, “With Mike and Kobe and Shaq”. (And he coulda just stopped as the Zen master, not the old out of touch dude who ran a team into the ground and may never have had “it”.)

And whether fair or not, the same is true for Brady and Bill. If you think that conversation or argument or sports talk is passing, or in the moment, then we probably have a diff level of exposure to sports (cause I hear it every holiday, get together, Sunday, fantasy draft, etc. for quite a few years).

Brady will not catch Brees for career totals (TDs, Yards) unless Brees gets injured
Brees definitely finishes #1 in both those stats. But no one really cares about those as much as SB wins and playoff wins.

I agree with your whole post, and I can say job well done to the Pats despite obviously not liking them (Raiders fan). But you also proved my exact point with probably the best example in the world lol.

Jackson was a beast. He goes somewhere and they win, Hall of Famer. So wise, the Zen master, books sell out in a moment. But, there was the lingering question, could anyone lose with Jordan and Kobe? Was the triangle offense really getting the most juice out of D Fish and Big Shot Bob and all them, or is it simply Kobe and Shaq. Eh, move on, who cares.

Well, after he falls flat on his face (New York) after moving on, including watching his triangle run to death to some of the worst advanced metrics in quite some time, well he definitely lost major luster. I wouldn’t say his career has a question mark, but his success is sure as shit now solidified as, “With Mike and Kobe and Shaq”. (And he coulda just stopped as the Zen master, not the old out of touch dude who ran a team into the ground and may never have had “it”.)

And whether fair or not, the same is true for Brady and Bill. If you think that conversation or argument or sports talk is passing, or in the moment, then we probably have a diff level of exposure to sports (cause I hear it every holiday, get together, Sunday, fantasy draft, etc. for quite a few years).

Do not concur, and you reversed the comparison, which is probably neither here nor there. Though, I submit that players endure longer and burn brighter in memory than coaches, generally. To your point, I never think of NY when I think of Jackson. Ever. (Who wins in NY anyway, especially now?) Same way I don't think of the Wizards when I think of Jordan.

I do submit that the point is passing and in the moment and won’t be as ringing in 5, 10 and 20 years from now. You will see. Definitely not as exposed to sports talk as I once was, though, that’s for sure! When I watch or listen or talk sports now, though, I never hear about the “lost years” of the greats, unless it’s a super deep dive or a “30 for 30”, etc.

Any discussion about Brady being a COG is as ludicrous as the discussion of Montana being a COG. Or Manning. Or Brees. “Once is a chance, twice is coincidence, three times is a pattern.” What does that make 20 years?

The King is dead. Long live the King

You’re missing how much the rule changes protect the QB and add longevity to the career. The PI rules are offensively skewed and the QB can barely be touched. All those signs point to a QB adding productive years to his career.
Did you know, he didn’t get a single roughing call called against him in 2020... just sayin’

That’s because he’s better at throwing the ball away then any QB in history. If I was his age and playing professional football I’d be slinging that pigskin towards my OC too.

I liked Cam and I don’t see how Bridgewater is an upgrade, but I think he ends up in NE. Let Stidham mature for another year. He won’t go to Washington - they’re committed to Haskins.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom