Things that make you say hmmm... or ask why? (1 Viewer)

FWIW, I've done a fair amount of shipping, reshipping, international shipping, in my short time here. Have always done my best to help members here, especially if I can reduce fees and work with someone internationally. As far as I'm concerned filling out the form online (never done one in person) is pretty basic, takes a few mins, and the taxes fall on the buyer, so not a huge deal to me. I've never shipped a large set or order over a few hundred dollars before, so I dont have any weight there either. Also, if you choose to ship no tracking and the buyer is OK with that, that falls on the buyer as well, not the seller. Seeing chips lost or stolen is not pleasant for anyone, and I have no sides here with either person. Just some mediocre input. I feel as though if you wish to ship international, awesome, if you dont, that's okay too. Have someone buy the chips that will ship international and resell them to you. The world isnt perfect, and everyone is different. Were all entitled to our choices. Doesnt make someone a bad person.

When in London I always pay a visit to GBK - Gourmet Burger Kitchen. Those perfect burgers with skinny fries and garlic majo! OMFG, can't wait until I'm back in London!!

Do International shipments really get "lost" that often? I've done tons, never a lost package. A few delays, sure, but never lost.
I would have agreed with you until this COVID issue. I've got 4 envelopes and a package that haven't been delivered and have been in transit since Mar.8. I'd say they are lost at this point.

Do International shipments really get "lost" that often? I've done tons, never a lost package. A few delays, sure, but never lost.
It does and sucks!! We split the $ loss but rare chips lost to the abyss.

Of the hundreds of shipments I've been involved with over the years (inbound and outbound), exactly three of them have been lost. All international, and two of the three were sent to France. All were Priority International SFRB, and insurance covered the one destined for Finland.

So for me, loss rate is about 1% overall, but about 15% if considering international packages only. That's way too high for my liking, and why I typically only ship CONUS and CAN.

When people keep using CV....and not referring to constant velocity joints. It's almost as fucking annoying as using HS to refer to 'shoe's and not Hot Stamps

20200412_145113.jpg

Why do chippers regularly buy sets of chips, sell them without every getting them in play only to buy more chips they’ll just eventually sell? Supporting the post office? Why?

(Lol. Me. I’m one of those chippers. Many examples. Recently bought a beautiful TRK hotstamp set. Had it sent to DetroitDads place for safekeeping. It was sold that week.)

I guess the planning and searching/hunting for new sets are a big part of the fun.
I'm so deep into the sickness that I play a variation of heads up by myself just so I get to handle my chips.

Deal a hand, each "player" provides an ante in the beginning of the hand. Look at hand, check, bet, or fold. Whatever I bet, the other hand calls but only at half the amount that I bet. Same goes for after the flop, turn, and river. If my hand is best, I keep the chips. If the other hand is better than they win it. You'd be surprised at how close the stacks are even after 50 hands.

Confused? Don't blame you, but it passes the time and I get to handle my chips because my wife won't play heads up with me.

I do this too, but I deal a 6-7 handed game and play the hands of each ”player” myself. :confused

Heck if I only got to use my chips for the few times I get to play actual poker I certainly couldn’t justify all the chips I have bought (and probably will buy still).

I'm so deep into the sickness that I play a variation of heads up by myself just so I get to handle my chips.

Deal a hand, each "player" provides an ante in the beginning of the hand. Look at hand, check, bet, or fold. Whatever I bet, the other hand calls but only at half the amount that I bet. Same goes for after the flop, turn, and river. If my hand is best, I keep the chips. If the other hand is better than they win it. You'd be surprised at how close the stacks are even after 50 hands.

Confused? Don't blame you, but it passes the time and I get to handle my chips because my wife won't play heads up with me.
Update: I won!

20200413_140125.jpg

I've officially lost it. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Sorry for the thread derail!

When somebody posts some chips for sale, and somebody else replies "dibbs for @xxxxx"
It annoys the heck out of me. If you really want to do your friend a favor, then go ahead and buy them, and pass them along. Or give them a call and tell them to get online and buy them. But nobody's entitled to any chips listed for sale, just because it's known that they're collecting them - other people are probably trying to collect them too.
Edit - AND, you're messing with the seller, because you may be discouraging other potential buyers from replying.

Last edited:
When somebody posts some chips for sale, and somebody else replies "dibbs for @xxxxx"
It annoys the heck out of me. If you really want to do your friend a favor, then go ahead and buy them, and pass them along. Or give them a call and tell them to get online and buy them. But nobody's entitled to any chips listed for sale, just because it's known that they're collecting them - other people are probably trying to collect them too.
Edit - AND, you're messing with the seller, because you may be discouraging other potential buyers from replying.
AND, you're putting the seller in an awkward situation. They either have to sit there and accept the conditions that YOU just put on THEIR sale, or otherwise, they have to chime in and say they don't honor second-hand dibs, and risk looking like a jerkface.
I don't like it!

"dibbs for X" carries the same weight in a for-sale ad as claiming "oxygen for feathers". Negligible.

it makes it more difficult than necessary.
And you hit the nail squarely on the head, regarding why some US sellers prefer to only ship within the US.

What difference does it make if your $2000 package is lost domestically or internationally? You file a claim with USPS in either case. What more is there to do?
A big difference is that a non-domestic package has a significantly higher chance of going missing (and losing valuable/irreplaceable chips to the community forever, regardless of any received compensation). In my experience (hundreds of packages), the loss rate is 1% domestic vs 15% international, and even higher if just considering Europe-bound shipments.

sidebar: Selling outside the US also artificially drives up chip prices, by adding extra overhead to the chip purchase, which many buyers will attempt to recoup when reselling (not to mention higher shipping costs for if/when the chips eventually return to the US). /ducks/

sidebar: Selling outside the US also artificially drives up chip prices, by adding extra overhead to the chip purchase, which many buyers will attempt to recoup when reselling (not to mention higher shipping costs for if/when the chips eventually return to the US). /ducks/
I've never wanted to be the guy to type this, but since Dave did . . . yup.

Love this. I'm going to do this too and more... buyer beware...who wants my Jacks

Love this. I'm going to do this too and more... buyer beware...who wants my Jacks
It’s not a pleasant thing to say, but just look at the prices of chips listed overseas. More often than not, they’re inflated, sometimes significantly so.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom