The Prancing Pony (Limit Set) (1 Viewer)

kaimat

Full House
Supporter
Reaction score
A little backstory:

Poker is actually not my favorite strategy game. While I grew up playing a lot of chess, in my late teens/early twenties I switch almost completely over to playing the game go.

akrales_160307_0970_a_0127.0.0.0 (1).jpeg

During my time in Milwaukee I became part of a group of regular go players who would meet at UW-Milwaukee to play go. After playing go for a couple hours (because this is Wisconsin...) we would head to a bar. One of our favorite regular bars was called Paddy's Pub.

GetImage.jpegGetImage1.jpegGetImage2.jpeg

We would come to affectionately refer to the Pub as "The Hobbit Bar." As my interest in poker and poker chips began to grow, the group of go players slowly became also a group of poker players. It has been a couple years now since I moved from Milwaukee to Eau Claire, and I wanted to make a limit set to honor my old home and friends (many of whom still come out to Eau Claire a couple times a year for a poker weekend).

*** Now, I know there has been a lot of hate being spread around here about @MoscowRadio, but none of this would have been possible without him. He helped me create the exact image I wanted, including multiple small, nitpicky edits I suggested. I'm not fully aware of his wrongdoings in regards to other members, but from my experience he was always helpful and enthusiastic about the project. ***

The idea of The Prancing Pony, the famous Inn and bar from the Lord of the Rings, seemed to work well to honor the memories of my time in Milwaukee with those guys. The initial design was based on this image I showed to Moscow:

1555213798027.png

to which he replied with a few options, including this:

2DE8LB4l.jpeg

I liked the idea a lot but felt it needed more color. I will save you the days of back and forth as we tried multiple different shades of green and the town name at the bottom.

Y2EzzyRh.jpegOKbbBnGh.jpeg

Ultimately, the decision was finalized:

Example Inlays 2.png

@Gear weighed in with a few minor adjustments before printing. The labels then sat around for several months before finally being applied today:

IMG_20200115_192348.jpgIMG_20200115_192424.jpgIMG_20200115_192429.jpgIMG_20200115_192458.jpg

I know some of the hardliners here will be disgusted by my primitive decision to mix molds, but I think they both fit really well with the theme. Can't wait to get these into play!

Thanks for reading.

Love the theme, I considered something very similar when I did my LOTR hotstamps.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom