Cash Game What Fixed Limit games do you play? (1 Viewer)

Mojo1312

Full House
Reaction score
I am currently part of a weekly $8/$16 dealer's choice - Omaha-Hi/Hold-em fixed limit game. Players choose to deal Omaha-Hi 80% of the time.

Tried to introduce 7CS one night when we were playing eight handed, which immediately got shot down. What other games have worked well in your group?

Noob question: We cap the game at nine players. Seems to work fine. Wondering if eight would be better.

An occasional deal of 5-card draw is a big hit for my apes. Can't be every hand but the novelty of having 0 idea what people hold was really intriguing at my table. Obviously split pot version of Omaha as well, or all the way to BigO.

Here is the rotation I used for my last limit game. We try a new game in the rotation each time.

image.jpg

This is my FL Dealer’s Choice list:

FLOP
Hold'em
Crazy Pineapple HiLo 8
Omaha
Double Board Omaha High
Omaha HiLo 8
Big O
Drawmaha
2-7 Drawmaha
Drawmaha 49
Drawmaha 0
Omadugi

STUD
5 Card Stud 1-3-1
7 Card Stud
7 Card Stud HiLo 8
7 Card Stud HiLo Regular
Razz
Razzdugi
2-7 Razz
Razzdeucey

DRAW
5 Card Single Draw High
A-5 Lowball Single Draw
2-7 Lowball Triple Draw
Archie 66+ 8oB
Badugi
Badacey
Badeucey

I am currently part of a weekly $8/$16 dealer's choice - Omaha-Hi/Hold-em fixed limit game. Players choose to deal Omaha-Hi 80% of the time.

Tried to introduce 7CS one night when we were playing eight handed, which immediately got shot down. What other games have worked well in your group?

Noob question: We cap the game at nine players. Seems to work fine. Wondering if eight would be better.

We play almost everything when doing limit. I "try" to encourage guys to call any of the triple draw games. I also think games like Scarney play well in a limit format.

We play almost everything when doing limit. I "try" to encourage guys to call any of the triple draw games. I also think games like Scarney play well in a limit format.
I am dedicated dealer at my game. While I personally love draw games I hate dealing them.

If you wanted a really simple Fixed Limit Rotation for beginners I would suggest:

Limit Holdem
5 Card Draw
7 Card Stud
Omaha HiLo
Badugi

Holdem - Everyone knows how to play, teaches limit betting format.
5 Card Draw - Everyone knows the hand ranking, teaches draw format.
SCS - Teaches stud format, everyone knows hand rankings.
O8 - Everyone knows how to play high, teaches players about Low Hands and split pots.
Badugi - Teaches players what a Badugi is.

Once they know how to play those games they know how to play every single game.

Then you ditch Holdem and 5 Card Draw and add the funner ones.

9 Players too many for draw or stud games.

8 players too many for triple draw games and can cause problems for stud games.

6/7 is sweet spot imo for non flop games. Tbh it’s also the sweet spot for flop games.

9 Players too many for draw or stud games.

8 players too many for triple draw games and can cause problems for stud games.

6/7 is sweet spot imo for non flop games. Tbh it’s also the sweet spot for flop games.

This... Concur !

I agree. We have a max of 7 players, preferably 6 players for the limit games we play. And what we’ve learned over the past few years is that the 5-card Omaha variants are much much more fun than the Hold’em and Stud variants. Below is our 7 game limit rotation. It’s just about perfect for us.

5-Card Double-Board Omaha (“God’s Game”)
SOHE
Dra2maha
5-Card Derailment (“God’s Game w/ a Twist”)
5-Card Omaha 8 (“Big O”)
OR 5-Card Ultimate Omaha 8
Dra2maha Low (A-5)
2 or 5 Omaha 8 (“Tahoe Hi/Lo”)
OR 2 or 5 Omaha 8 with Draw 2 (“Bum Bum”)

7 players or less, I offer Badugi and draw games.
8 players or less, I offer Stud games.
9 players or less for flop games.

I think with your group, Crazy Pineapple could be a fun choice. Easy to learn and you can play it 8/b if you want.

How well does limit Omaha high play?

I am not sure how to answer your question. NL and FL are completely different games. I have very little experience with the latter. The game I am playing in has had three different iterations. It started out as $5/$10 fixed limit. That weekly game dissolved when I began hosting a competing $1/$1 NLHE/PLO $100 minimum buy-in game at the same venue. I ran that game for nine months before getting fed up with the responsibility. Too many tight players with half of the table begging me to keep the game going into the am. The other rub is the game would slow down around eleven o'clock due to the amount of alcohol consumed by a few of the players. Just not enjoyable.

The group resumed playing $5/$10 FLHE/Omaha-hi after I left. One of the players, Kenny, tried to get me to rejoin the group. I let him know I wasn't interested in those stakes. I shared with him my opinion that the game would play better at $8/$16. He discussed the change with the group and voila! I reluctantly rejoined the game two weeks ago. I am of the opinion that setting the right stakes is very important in FL. You have to keep the game interesting.

At $8/$16 I won $1100 in the first three and half hours of playing my first night. I maintained the last hour of play. (4.5 hours in total) Last week I won $900 over the five and a half hour session. As a NL player, FL loses its zest. Their is no moving all-in to bluff a person off their hand. Conversely, the stress is removed from having to decide whether to call an all-in when another player puts you in a difficult spot. The obvious upside is how profitable FL can be if you play your cards right.

Last edited:
Hero played his longest 8/16 FL session to date last night - 6hrs. Hero got crushed the fifth hour, losing most of his profit. Fortune smiled on him in the final hour when every hand cost $16 to see the flop. Playing six handed, Hero took down two good sized pots, finishing up $455 for the night.

I am not sure how to answer your question. NL and FL are completely different games. I have very little experience with the latter. The game I am playing in has had three different iterations. It started out as $5/$10 fixed limit. That weekly game dissolved when I began hosting a competing $1/$1 NLHE/PLO $100 minimum buy-in game at the same venue. I ran that game for nine months before getting fed up with the responsibility. Too many tight players with half of the table begging me to keep the game going into the am. The other rub is the game would slow down around eleven o'clock due to the amount of alcohol consumed by a few of the players. Just not enjoyable.

The group resumed playing $5/$10 FLHE/Omaha-hi after I left. One of the players, Kenny, tried to get me to rejoin the group. I let him know I wasn't interested in those stakes. I shared with him my opinion that the game would play better at $8/$16. He discussed the change with the group and voila! I reluctantly rejoined the game two weeks ago. I am of the opinion that setting the right stakes is very important in FL. You have to keep the game interesting.

At $8/$16 I won $1100 in the first three and half hours of playing my first night. I maintained the last hour of play. (4.5 hours in total) Last week I won $900 over the five and a half hour session. As a NL player, FL loses its zest. Their is no moving all-in to bluff a person off their hand. Conversely, the stress is removed from having to decide whether to call an all-in when another player puts you in a difficult spot. The obvious upside is how profitable FL can be if you play your cards right.
Thanks for the reply, I was more querying whether limit omaha hi is a good game or not, it seems to rarely be played.

Thanks for the reply, I was more querying whether limit omaha hi is a good game or not, it seems to rarely be played.

I am a trained NL dog learning a new trick. Although I have seen some big Hold-em pots, Omaha-hi is the better game in my opinion because FL encourages people to stay in with their draws.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom