The Circle Club (1 Viewer)

Fleming

Straight
Reaction score
I've been working on a concept for a CPC set of a cash chips, and thought I would contribute to all of the great backstories/chip design threads I've seen here.

The back story
As you might have guessed from my username, I'm a bit of a Bond fan. I've always loved the movies, and have great memories of watching marathons when I was younger, before I could even understand all of what was happening. I just knew I liked it.

One of my favorite clips from the movies is Sean Connery's first ever introduction, in Dr. No.

Bond is introduced playing cards against a woman in a club before he is interrupted. There's a lot to like in this scene, but what I've always liked is how much the scene makes you wait to see Bond, before they pull back to reveal him and he introduces himself. Always great.

The first frame of that video also shows the name of the club: Le Cercle, or The Circle. The shots of the outside of the building were shot in London, of the actual location, but the bulk of the scene was shot on a soundstage that recreated the interior of the club.

Why not name and design a set of chips after this iconic Bond location?

I was torn between The Circle Club or The Ambassador's Club, and it still could go either way. But for the moment I'm running with The Circle Club, mostly because it's a lot easier to work with on the inlays.

Current mockups

I've gone through a number of iterations of chips the last few weeks -- I believe this is version 62 of chips/color spot combos and the 15th version of the inlay design.

Pink non-denominated
I love this color combo, shamelessly taken from the Par-A-Dice $2.50s. I've found it difficult to track down a playable set, so I figure I can just pull those colors into one of my own designs.

My plan is to use this chip as either a lower chip for small games, and possible a larger chip if the game was bigger. I think it would work in either spot.

Blue 25c
Another shameless one, but this time the Mapes $25 is the target. I've always liked that chip, and I think I might like my version more.

White $1
I liked the idea of a Union Jack flag chip -- seems fitting -- and after seeing enough poker clips with stacks of the Aria $5k chip, I decided I found a brilliant $1 chip.

Brown $5
Our stakes aren't usually super high. That could change in the future, but typically $5 chips are as high as we need to go. And I just really liked the idea of a brown, chocolate-y color combo for the highest chip at the table.

I sort of build the chips around the pink chip at first, since I really like that combo of colors. I always had some version of a blue chip, and the others have come later. I like every chip in this setup quite a bit now. No "meh" chips. At different points I've had colors in the lineup I thought I might need, or should have, but that I wasn't blown away by. These I like, almost all equally.

I've paid a little attention to the spot progression, but that could probably be improved upon. I'm not sure how much that would end up bothering me, though.

Breakdown
The denominations show the breakdown I'm planning right now -- for our game a $5 chip is typically the most we need, and keeping the pink chip a non-denominated chip means I could use it for a 5c/10c for low games, and a $20 chip if the game goes a little higher.

I haven't changed the design for a couple of days, which is why I'm posting this thread now. I figure once I'm happy with everything, and don't make changes for a few weeks, I should be good to start moving forward.

Thoughts? Feedback?
I'm not in any rush to move forward with these chips, but they've been really fun to work with so far.

What do the experienced custom chippers think? Am I overlooking something obvious, or something I should keep in mind?

(And I'd be remiss if I didn't specifically ask for the advice of fellow Bond fanatic @Phantom -- I've enjoyed following your chip design thought process and the themes behind them. Any feedback you would have would be great too!)

Good evening, Mr Fleming. I've been expecting you. :)

Great idea mate, really great. Thanks for the kind words :). I love that particular clip as well and have watched it so many times - nice one. I pay particular attention to the plaques as well :).

I think you are off to a great start, as these chips never existed and you get to decide what they would have looked like if they did. They seem to have jetons.

139111b21d073ed8eac1f97e7033564d.jpg

$_35.JPG

The Circle Club is not as stuffy as Blades so you get to use nice vibrant colours. However, I think I could swing you a membership if you were in town :).

Love the $1.

Any other thoughts on your inlay, as to why you went black? Are you wanting to keep it simple? Did you consider any other ideas? Nothing wrong with your design mate :-, just wondering.

Found this: - "Le Cercle, one of London's first gaming clubs complete with French croupiers, Paris-made chips and correct kidney-shape tables. Le Cercle was something of an innovation and as such, when it opened in May 1961 (to members of Les Ambassadeurs only), it attracted the notice ofThe Times newspaper, which was most impressed by its high standard of professionalism and sophistication".

I know the forum has gone plaque-mad in recent times :) (I am a repeat offender :)), but again, this is a set that would suit an MSK plaque for the $5 (82x57 or 94x66). Perhaps a consideration.

Dr No Baccarat (1).png
Dr No Baccarat.png

Last edited:
Love the $1 chip!

Love the $1.

Awesome, it's become one of my favorites too. It was a late addition, but I'm definitely into it now.

The Circle Club is not as stuffy as Blades so you get to use nice vibrant colours. However, I think I could swing you a membership if you were in town :).

Definitely, I want to go for vibrant. And I would accept that membership :)

Any other thoughts on your inlay, as to why you went black? Are you wanting to keep it simple? Did you consider any other ideas? Nothing wrong with your design mate :-, just wondering.

I suppose I find myself drawn to darker inlays in sets I really like, so I started out going down that road.

But I don't want to box myself in without exploring everything I could, so I might give a lighter inlay a shot.

I know the forum has gone plaque-mad in recent times :) (I am a repeat offender :)), but again, this is a set that would suit an MSK plaque for the $5 (82x57 or 94x66). Perhaps a consideration.

I've noticed the plaque madness, for sure. I might consider it for a $20 denom rather than replacing the $5 chip though. I better track down some plaque samples first.

Latest brainstorm updates

So I've continued playing with my colors and spots, mostly because I actually ended up finding a decent set of Par-A-Dice snappers to relabel so I won't need to (necessarily) include that chip in my custom breakdown. At least, it seems like sort of a shame to do that if I already have that particular chip in my collection.

So, I wanted to explore some other options. I wanted to stick with vibrant colors, and then just started playing around. Still floating back and forth on ideas, but I thought they would be worth posting.

Still tinkering...

I think Chip version 79 is getting there mate as it incorporates the pink (the plaque colour). I am still not sold on the brown 5 (in a colourful set). What about a green version, like in Chip Version 68, but 814 spots?
Maybe along these lines.

130b6944-b31e-4fb4-b517-39ec57f6a18f.png

I think Chip version 79 is getting there mate as it incorporates the pink (the plaque colour).

Yeah, I'm still liking the pink I think.

I am still not sold on the brown 5 (in a colourful set). What about a green version, like in Chip Version 68, but 814 spots?
Maybe along these lines.

View attachment 53620

Hmm, yeah. I thought I'd try a different direction for a bit. This combo's growing on me.

Maybe something like this?
Or maroon for the red

I've tried some red options, but I don't think I can make it work while I have the pink chip in play. I might play around with some red/maroon options with some non-pink options for that first chip. We'll see.

Version 80 looking good. You do seem to have white on all the chips though :). Now I am thinking the $1 needs jazzing up a bit, maybe retro blue and retro red.

Took the solid feedback on a lot of white to heart. Very helpful -- I ended up trying a few things.

This version updates the red and blue (both retro) on the $1 chip, seeing how that grows on me. Also changed up my approach to the 25c chip and I'm liking it quite a bit.

As much as I like the pink chip, I might play around with it a little more and explore options.

Took the solid feedback on a lot of white to heart. Very helpful -- I ended up trying a few things.

This version updates the red and blue (both retro) on the $1 chip, seeing how that grows on me. Also changed up my approach to the 25c chip and I'm liking it quite a bit.

As much as I like the pink chip, I might play around with it a little more and explore options.

Looking good mate. The retro red/blue looks the goods. Just a thought (nagging), the spots of the pink, blue and green look great, and now the $1 looks a bit out of place, sorry. Perhaps something like this. remember, your set, your call :), and I know the $1 (614) was the centre piece. As it is a chip you will get a few of (most I imagine), I have done a Level 4 and a Level 8 idea, depending on your budget of course/ See what you think anyway :) No one is going to get hurt feelings if you don't use/take on board the advice/input as it is all part of the process :).

5100e50e-9ff3-454d-878e-fc1ced9036d9.png

Cool -- and I won't be offended talking through this process. I enjoy it.

I'll look over your ideas for the $1. I was just playing with $5 options again.

Hehe, exactly :)
With budget in mind, and depending on the stakes you play, and what the players are likely to bet, do you need the non-denom pink chip at all? Could you make the $5 the pink chip, and then have more $$$ to get the $1 you want?

Thats such an awesome idea! I wish inspiration would hit me like that.

Good luck with the project!

Not addressing the colors, but the shaped inlays. I don't like repeating an inlay shape within the set - each chip should have a different shaped inlay. And if you are going with The Circle Club, shouldn't one of the inlays be round :)

Probably :)

I haven't changed the inlays in a few drafts, just to keep something consistent as everything else changes. I'll keep that in mind when I revisit the designs.

I reckon you are getting there mate. Don't want to seem pedantic, but I reckon the dollar/cents symbols could stand to be smaller and allow the denom to be more centred. Will you go for 1" inlays?

When the set is made, pop me down for a sample and I'll send you a Blades sample in exchange (with 007 blood chip). :)

If it was my set, and only if. I think you can bump all the demons to the left and make the green a $25.

Chips are coming along nicely though.

If it was my set, and only if. I think you can bump all the demons to the left and make the green a $25.

Chips are coming along nicely though.

Thanks, I'm liking how everything's progressing.

My only reason for an NCV chip is to keep an option for smaller stakes games, but also a chip that could work at $20 if higher stakes are played. I wanted to include a chip that was flexible, without putting any non standard values on a chip that could make things awkward/inflexible.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom